“Great Hotel for the price, good location.”
Review of 19 Atlantic Hotel

19 Atlantic Hotel
Ranked #63 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
richmond
“Great Hotel for the price, good location.”
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I stayed one night for the Va Beach Neptune Fesitval. The rooms are small , but I knew that beforehand. Extremely clean and the staff was very accomodating. We had an extended check out which was great. Parking lot is small but add'l parking is available across the street. Will stay again, the rates were very reasonable.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed September 11, 2009

19 Atlantic Hotel is in a good location for Virginia Beach, one block off the boardwalk. The Hotel itself is newly renovated, relatively clean but the cleaning service was not thorough. The bathroom did not have a fan for ventilation. The room was a little small but that was understood before staying. Some of the interior rooms do not have windows but are a little larger. If possible stay on the backside of the hotel because the windows are not very sound proof. Parking at the hotel is minimal but there is additional parking about 3 blocks away. The staff was polite but openly talked about their displeasure of working there or what they had to do.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed September 4, 2009

I was on a business trip, trying to save money on hotel expense and get the best value for the money. First found this hotel via Bing. It advertised $125/night. Then online on their website 19atlantic.com they had a promotion of $89/night which I liked a lot. That's basically what I mostly liked about the hotel - price. Everything else is so-so: room was tiny ( but I admit it was very clean), it's not located on the ocean, it has small staff. Basically, it's OK to stay there, but don't expect any luxuries. Best value for the money, I guess. And, yes, it's just about 2 min walking from the beach, which is nice.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 3, 2009

I noticed that quite a few people mentioned the rooms not having windows. When I booked our room I made sure to NOT GET AN INTERIOR ROOM. We arrived a little early at the hotel, gave the front desk our info, and went to the beach. (One block away!) The woman at the front desk called my cell when our room was ready -- around 3:00 PM. Getting to our room was like navigating through a maze. However, we were directed at almost every corner by a staff member pointing us in the right direction. I completely agree that the parking is lacking -- there's a tiny (20 car, maybe) lot next to the hotel, and there's another lot a few blocks away. The room was tight, but definitely nice and clean. The bathroom looked completely updated with high-end finishes. (Bath & Body Works Coconut Soap!) We would stay here again, however, I'll NEVER reserve a full sized bed for the TWO of us again -- I'll spend the extra few $$ and get a queen.

1 Thank trs111
NJ
Reviewed August 27, 2009

The 19 Atlantic was a good deal for the money. You can’t beat the rate for the location. The hotel is right across the street from the beach. Though you probably won’t have a view of the ocean, all you have to do is cross the street and you’re on the beach! It was fantastic for us. Also, if you do want to get a view of the ocean & your room isn’t facing Atlantic Ave (or really, just a bunch of hotels), there is a great rooftop deck. You can see the ocean a bit from up there, which is very nice.
The good things about this hotel are:
1. The location for the money.
2. The rooms are very clean. So are the elevators- when they got sandy they were promptly cleaned. We were quite impressed by the attention paid to this.
3. The rooms are a decent size for 2 people.
4. The rooms didn’t have a musty smell/grimy feel.

Things that were not so great:
1. The A/C units buzz like a cell phone on vibrate (especially at night) every minute or so. It is really annoying. However, the last night there we found that if you blast the AC to cool the room and then turn it to fan only at night, the buzzing is much less frequent. The AC units in the rooms have been recalled but it doesn’t seem the hotel has any intention of replacing them any time soon.
2. The staff is rude. Don’t expect great treatment. When we complained about the A/C, we were told we could have a room change. The staff told us to think about if we wanted a change and let them know later. When we returned and said we’d like a change, they said they didn’t “feel” like it. We told the manager, Santiago, about this at check-out and he said if we stayed with them again he’d give us a special rate. Probably just trying to appease us, but at least it seemed like someone cared.
3. The rooms are a bit small for more than 2 people, even if you get one with 2 double beds (which is what we had for 2 people).

Also, when you book your room, be sure to specify you want a room with a window in it. Some rooms don’t have windows. If you don’t mind that, then you can probably get a cheaper rate. If you mind, just make sure you specify that you want a window or you may end up without one. This was not a problem for us, as we said we wanted one when we made the reservation and checked that we had a window at check-in.

Overall, we had quite a pleasant stay. Don’t expect fine service and great staff, but for the money, you really can’t beat it!

Richmond VA
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I'm not sure about the "whiners" on here- my guess is nothing is ever enough for them. The three of us had absolutely NO complaints while staying here. Our (double) room had an awesome ocean view and was very clean and spacious. The staff was very accomodating. The location is the best- direct access to the beach/boardwalk right across the street.
There are two parking lots- if you can't walk two blocks then perhaps you should just stay home. Chances are you don't get much exercise anyway.
The tattoo parlor is NOT below the hotel- it is beside it and really? Is that a major deal?
As for the "noise", we heard no more than usual when staying at the beach. We could here the ocean. Maybe those people live in the country and aren't used to city noises??

Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank monsRichmondVA
Alaska
Reviewed August 23, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the 19 Atlantic the end of July for a few nights beacuse we were in town for a wedding. The prices were great, and the rooms are cute. The location has pros and cons. It is right across the street from the beach, close to restaurants, shops, and the boardwalk. There are also a lot of bars on this street and people would stumble around the street all night long. It was impossible to sleep with all of the constant activity, yelling, fighting outside the hotel until around 4:00 A.M. I had three bad nights trying to get some sleep. The hotel should really invest in soundproofing the building more.

The biggest reason I would not go back to this hotel, or recommend this hotel is due to the plumbing. My husband and I awoke one morning to gurgling in the bathroom. We went in to see what was going on and found that the shower was backed up with sewage. There was a couple of inches of water, feces, and who knows what else in our shower. It was absolutely disguisting. I had all of my toiletteries in the shower, our room stunk, even any of our clothes that were out in the open smelled.

They switched us to another room right away. I felt bad for the girl at the front counter. She had already helped us with a problem we had while checking in, an internet problem, (internet did not work in our first room), then of course the shower problem. I'm sure she knew we were unhappy but she was very friendly and helpful.

There were more negatives than positives with this hotel. I would recommend spending a little more and staying somewhere different.

1 Thank AlaskaEmily