“Great location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #60 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
New York City, New York
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

We went to Virginia beach for the memorial day weekend. Got a decent deal in this hotel considering the rush on that weekend. It has a good location being only 1 block away from the beach and close to all amenities.
The rooms were decent and worked for us since we hardly spent time at the hotel. The hotel has free parking next to the location. The only difficulty was with connecting to internet. They do not have wireless and the hotel receptionist informed us that they do have free wired internet. We could not connect it to it though.
Overall, a decent hotel for a short trip

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank swarnadeep

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Cary, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

We booked our Memorial Day stay here based almost entirely on the reviews posted on TripAdvisor. Sadly, our TripAdvisor friends let us down. :(

The good:
1. The rooms are modern-looking
2. There's no musty smell found in many Virginia Beach hotels

That's all I got, folks

The not-so-good.
1. Super small rooms - now, look. I am okay with a small room. I have stayed in many a small rooms in Europe with much satisfaction. However, there's small and well-designed and there's small. You need to be able to function in a room - that's impossible here. Sit on the toilet and bump your head on a wall. No shelves in the shower to put anything (where do you put the shampoo? the soap went on the floor - gross). You couldn't get dressed in the bathroom if you wanted. There's no fan in the bathroom, so it's hot and humid (the smells will come soon, I'm sure.) If you sleep on the right side of the bed, you need to scoot off the edge to get up, because only the person on the left has enough room to get up (barely). Want to use the free Internet connection? There's no place to put your computer, so you have to sit on the mini-floor.

2. Location vs price. Okay, I expect to pay less for a room off the beach. But I also expect the room to be worth the price ($149 a night). It wasn't. A room that small should be going for much less. I see the reason why this hotel was advertising vacancies with a sign outside the door on a holiday weekend.

3. Our room didn't get maid service the entire time we were there. Day one, we put out a do not disturb sign for an hour or so to take a nap. We were woken up by the maid to hand us towels (why the sign, then?) but it seems if you miss the rounds, they don't come back. There was no maid service on Sunday at all.

4. They tell you the hotel is recently renovated. I don't doubt that, but they should seriously call the renovator and get their money back. There are holes in the wall that have been patched, but not repainted. Nails stick out of the wall, begging you to scrape yourself on them. There are black marks all over the tiles in the bathroom. There are marks on the wall. It doesn't look very professional.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1Carmen1
DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2009

We really enjoyed this hotel for the price. The location is great! It is right down the street from the Conference Center.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Sanibel Island, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2009

My husband and I checked into this hotel in May 2009. We were given a room without a window. I literally have never even heard of a hotel having rooms without windows! The manager told me he couldn't move us because there were no other handicap rooms available. We didn't not request or need a handicap room. Besides they don't allow their handicap guests windows?? Awful. He refused to offer us a better room for the same or a discounted rate even when I told him he was practicing unlawful business practices for not disclosing which room I was booking online.

He was not friendly and kept acting like everything was my fault and that it was a big hassle to try and help me. He offered me a specific room and when we went to meet him there the lock was broken. He told was being very sarcastic saying we don't want that room because the lock is broken, HE is the one that told us to meet him there! I told him we are not comfortable at this hotel and we requested our deposit back.

Beware, this hotel is not nearly as nice in person as it looks online.

We lucked out and were able to book a room for our full stay at the beautiful Ocean Beach Club Resort for not much more per night.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Vacationannie

Travelers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Northern Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2009

My wife and I came to VA Beach so I could go fishing and she could walk the beach. Room and hotel are very clean with great reception staff. Rooms are small, but you're not at Virginia Beach to spend lots of time in the room. Conveniently located on the inland side of Atlantic Ave -- you're just a block away from the beach. Best price on the beach or anyplace in the area. Loved the fact that there was no stale cigarette or damp musty smells that are present in so many beach hotels.

Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

My husband and I went to Va Beach for our Anniversary. We stayed for one day. The price of the room was great. The location is awesome-right across the street from the beach. The single bed rooms are very small so we changed to a double bed room, just for extra space. The rooms are newly updated and very clean. We loved the flat screen and updated furniture. We had a little fridge and microwave as well. The bathroom was very clean and they had Bath & Body Works samples of shampoo, conditioner and soap--which I thought was a great touch-not the usual cheap hotel stuff. The staff was very engaging and very friendly. The room didn't have an iron--but the staff brought up a board and the iron when we requested one :) We do plan to return to this hotel on our next trip to Va Beach, without a doubt. We were very impressed. We had dinner at Rockerfeller's Restaura--very delicious food. Mary's Restaurant was also great for breakfast--great prices, yummy food.

Richmond, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2009

Overall I loved this hotel! It's very clean, pretty and affordable! The ONLY problem was the air conditioning! It was a VERY hot weekend (about 95-100 degrees), and the ac units there are controlled. The fan constantly ran but the AC only came on about once every hour for about 3-5 minutes. I didn't understand, their thermostat was set to 76, which is pretty high for a sweltering day! I'm pregnant and was very uncomfortable throughout the night b/c it was so hot! A guest should be able to control their own room temp!