“You couldn't pay me to stay here again.”
Review of 19 Atlantic Hotel

19 Atlantic Hotel
Ranked #72 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We decided we would stay here based on the majority of good reviews and because I have a friend who stayed here without a problem. The parking situation is crappy (small lot, hard to manuever in). I don't mind walking but parking 2.5 blocks away in the overflow lot in a downpour wasn't fun. We also decided to overlook the small size of the room, the black marks on the walls, and the dirty-looking rug. I can't decide whether the room reminded me of my crappy dorm room in college or a run-down version of my last cruise ship stateroom (cramped). Yes, the location of the hotel is great in that it's right across the street from the beach, but so is EVERY other hotel/motel if it's not oceanfront. In addition, the closest entryway to the beach consists of walking through a dark alleyway with several unmarked doors on each side.
We wanted to make the best out of it and figured we wouldn't be in the room much anyway, but on the last day I woke to a large disgusting cockroach-like insect on the floor. Did I mention our room was on the 3rd floor? The girl at the front desk immediately said she would give us our money back for that night since we were definitely leaving and said it's not a cockroach, but a bug that resembles it. Whatever-I'm here for vacation, not a bug identification debate! Either way-it's disgusting. So grossed out still-we went down to the Clarion and it was a whole other world-do yourself a favor and go there in the first place!!

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Summertimers
19atlantic, General Manager at 19 Atlantic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2011

In regards to our parking facilities, we offer complimentary parking with two lots. When our primary lot becomes full, our guests park in the secondary lot. There are few businesses’ that cannot provide parking to their customers at the oceanfront for free.

If there were issues with the cleanliness of the room, our staff would have been more than accommodating to rectify the problem. If the staff is unaware of any issues with a guest room then we are not given the opportunity to help our guests. Those issues were not brought to a front desk agent or to a manager’s attention.

The Virginia Beach Oceanfront has been known to have water bugs, palmetto bugs. If a guest were to encounter one of these insects in the hotel, we certainly understand the awkwardness of having a bug in a room, we will compensate accordingly. We certainly do not want to deter our guests away from staying. In this case, this guest was refunded for the inconvenience. We reinforce the bug identification to put our guests at ease, as these water bugs are not cockroaches and do not determine the cleanliness of the hotel.

In Virginia Beach there are multiple access points to the beach that people can choose from. Based on our location, aside from the access point at 20th street, there is another access point that is between a restaurant & the backside of another restaurant that leads to the boardwalk.

Our goal for all of our guests is to have a positive experience and if an issue arises we take pride in assisting our guests. We want all our guests to leave with a positive experience.

Reviewed August 9, 2011

Rooms are on the small side, the air conditioners in the room (Room 219) is mounted directly above the bed and the unit buzzes/vibrates every 45-60 seconds.... Found it difficult to fall asleep with this. I called the front desk to move rooms and was told they all do this!! I was told maint. man would look at it but never heard anything else. Very small parking lot, overflow lot is 2.5 blocks away. rooms look clean and recently renovated. Beach access directly across the street.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your review.
We are working towards implementing new air conditioners in some of the guest rooms and hope to rectify any kind of noise disturbance to our guests. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We hope you consider our hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed August 6, 2011

The 19 Atlantic has a lot of pluses, but has it's faults as well. It's convienantly located to the beach, has nice decor and a friendly staff.
My husband and I stayed in a stayed in a standard room with a queen bed. The room was VERY small. Just enough room for the bed, and for you to walk around the bed. There is no room for a table or chairs. The shower is 3ft by 3ft - quite small. The toilet was quite fancy and was form fitting :)
The finishes in the room are very nice and the room was very clean. THe room came with a fridge and micorwave, which was very handy. The rooftop deck is very nice with nice furniture.
Of importance to note: on weekends VA Beach pays for street performers. All weekend there were breakdancers out side our window playing loud music with cheering crowds. While this was entertaining for one performance - it got a little much after the 7th performance at 11pm at night. Earplugs highly recommended.
In addition, our air conditioner did not work properly, and they could not get someone to service it. It made a very loud buzzing noise every minute and would not fully cool the room. It kept us hot and awake. Other guests reported their air conditioner worked fine.
The manager did reduce our rate, and was helpful, but who wants to go to the beach and sleep in a hot room.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room - make sure your room is not facing the street
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
19atlantic, General Manager at 19 Atlantic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

Thank you for staying at our hotel and reviewing our establishment. Virginia Beach is certainly full of life during the summers and draws in crowds from all over.

We do have rooms that are in the interior part of the hotel, which do not have any windows. These rooms are very cozy & are ideal for the guest who is a light sleeper.

I do apologize for the inconvenience of the air conditioner. We are working to rectify the air conditioner unit in that particular room and hope to prevent any disturbances for our future guests.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

Wish I could give 19 Atlantic Hotel a zero for an even lower rating, unfortunately, I had to check off terrible, because this hardly explains the unfortunate one night experience. After seeing only 5 negative reviews on this hotel it raises the question of how many people who are not paying for sex have actually stayed at this love shack, because that number is shockingly low.

The whole picture became pretty clear as soon as my girlfriend and I pulled into the 16 space parking lot located behind this majestic hotel. She tried to stay optimistic about the situation but my mind was already made up. Upon walking in the main entrance we noticed a young girl no older then 20 vacuuming the hotel lobby area, she was conveniently located directly in front of the hotel check-in desk, blocking our way to the front desk clerk (concierge does not fit this employee) and apparently showing no signs of moving, but her low cut t-shirt was also exposing a situation that most people typically pay for at a low grade peeler joint.

After checking in we finally made our way up to the 2nd floor..and boy oh boy was it a treat to walk up 2 flights of stairs that may as well have been located in a dumpster. The hallways looked like something out of The Shining and the floors were totally filthy like mardi gras had taken place there the night prior. Once we got into the room we immediately noticed that the sheets were filthy and covered in small black hairs, apparently "turn 'em and burn 'em" does not apply at this hotel. The walls were covered in greasy looking black smears and the room smelled like mildew and bleach.

I immediately decided to take a shower and to no surprise my girlfriend was immediately screaming in the bedroom while I was in the shower. As I'm getting out of the shower, my girlfriend points out a cockroach the size of my thumb taking a joy ride around the hotel room...this was the last straw. The front desk was called and we explained the situation...there were no apologies or anything of that nature as we spoke to the girl at the front desk. She gave us another room key and told us to go check it out to make sure it was legit enough for a human being to stay in for 1 night. To our surpise there were no cockroaches in the 2nd room and it was slightly cleaner, but still well below par. That's about all I have for 19 Atlantic Hotel.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank batman311
19atlantic, General Manager at 19 Atlantic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2011

We certainly welcome all constructive criticism; however we cannot take this reviewer seriously due to all of the derogatory & inappropriate language.

In a situation where a guest room is dirty; if that information would have been relayed to the front desk, appropriate action would have been taken.

I am glad my staff was able to locate another room for this guest. Based off this review, my staff did everything possible to accommodate & rectify the situation. If the guest was not satisfied with the quality of the hotel or their room, this information was not a topic of discussion with a front desk agent or a manager during their stay nor communicated at check-out.

As per our parking, we have two lots. Our primary lot accommodates 26 vehicles, while our secondary lot accommodates over 35. When our primary lot meets capacity, our guests are directed to the secondary lot. Not only is parking a commodity in Virginia Beach, but we are very fortunate to provide complimentary parking to all our guests.

Regarding the begs,I want to take the time to explain that Virginia Beach during the summer season, there are palmetto bugs also known as water bugs, that can be commonly found at the oceanfront.

With regards to the flight of stairs these individuals chose to use, we also have an elevator for a more convenient way to get to the guest rooms.

Reviewed August 3, 2011

My husband and I took this trip to get away for just a few days. We enjoyed our few days at this hotel. The hotel was clean and convenient to the beach. However, the room was a bit small (we didn't realize until we got there that we would only have a full size bed) and the location was very noisy late into the night. We would stay here again if just the two of us were on a short get away trip. However, I would not pick this place for a family with young kids or for a longer visit. Also, the hotel parking close to the hotel is limited.

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms with a window face busy and noisy Atlantic Bouleward. It only bothered us lat...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CRRBEN
19atlantic, General Manager at 19 Atlantic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2011

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay and we appreciate your review. We have a very unique property in which all our rooms are different and vary in size. We recommend for families our avenue view two double beds. These rooms are very spacious and can accommodate up to 4 people comfortably. Though there are some rooms that may be larger than others, all of our guest rooms come equipped with the same amenities, mini-refrigerator, microwave, bath & body works amenities, high speed internet & in -room safe.

We are in the heart of Virginia Beach in the middle of many attractions. Virginia Beach is a very popular tourist city and is full of life and energy during the afternoons & evenings, there is always something to do or see.

I do hope you choose the 19 Atlantic Hotel again for your next stay. And don't forget our avenue view two double bed rooms can accommodate up to four people should you choose to bring your family next time.

Reviewed August 2, 2011

My friend and I recently spent a weekend in Va Beach for my 31st Birthday. We chose the 19 Atlantic Hotel and It couldn't have been a better choice. We arrived extremely early but the hotel staff was very kind. They offered us refreshments and allowed us to change in the facility prior to going to the beach. Normal check-in isn't until 4p.m. But they were very nice and got our room ready only and hr or so after our arrival @ 8 a.m. Also on our check-out day they allowed us to stay longer and enjoy a few extra hours @ the beach which was greatly appreciated considering we drove 5.5 hrs. It was a very quiet, clean well managed Hotel and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a Hotel with great service, in a great location and @ a reasonable price! I can assure you that in my future visits to Va Beach this will be my Hotel of choice. :) Thank You to the Staff of 19 Atlantic for a great stay, I look forward to seeing you all in the near future :)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for the review. I’m glad we were able to accommodate you early in the morning for your check-in. We are pleased you choose the 19 Atlantic Hotel for your birthday occasion. We look forward to having you again for your future visits to Virginia Beach.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

The hotel is located across the street from an ideal beach location.The room was clean and had excellent air conditioning. We stayed in room 327 which was located near the sodi and ice machine.We brought our own flat of water and drinks and was able to fill the ice chest with as much ice as we needed for our long days at the beach.The room was small but we didnt mind.Our chairs and boogie boards and all our other beach stuff fit into the closet without any problem.This hotel was by far the cleanest I had ever seen at this price range.The sheets and light comforter were Marriot style and made of the softest materials for that luxurious feeling.In regards to dining.Breakfast at the Hidden Pearl proved to be fresh and delicious and overlooks the beach.I recommend the Eggs benedict with fresh advocado and a mimosa.Mimosas were only 1.88 $. Neptune had the best Clam chowder and Ammos Greek restaurant had the best Greek platter which was large enough to share with my adorable companion.I dont recommend the hummus because it was served cold and without warm pita bread.The belly dancer was entertaining and the drummer was good at providing an exotic feel to the place.
Hot cheesesteak sandwiches can be purchased for a mere 6 dollars right across from the small deli and liquor store.Ham sandwiches can be purchased at this little market for under 5$.This is situated at the beach entrance 200 feet from the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple