“Good- not great hot dogs”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Tony's Hot Dogs

Tony's Hot Dogs
Ranked #529 of 1,414 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Fast Food
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Good- not great hot dogs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Been a fixture in the area for years. Present owner is the son of the original Tony. Limited menu in a bare basic decor but good hot dogs and good chili. ( Actually, I prefer Famous Uncle Als dogs over Tony's. ) Still, I stop in when in the area.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Mrfiz

Little Elm
“Best hot dog I've ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

I grew up on Tony's hot dogs. They are the best and I can't find anything to rival them. If you think the owner is grouchy then you didn't grow up here! That's the way it's always been and its part of the charm of the place. Deal with it to enjoy the most awesome hot dog you will ever eat. I won't eat hot dogs anywhere else!!

• Visited July 2012
Asheville, NC
“Decent hot dog, grouchy owner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

We ate here for a late lunch with my three sons and my sister, who recently moved to Virginia Beach. She said she'd heard that this was THE PLACE to eat hot dogs, so we thought we'd give it a try. We always like to check out independent restaurants, both in our own hometown and when we travel.

We ate here for a late lunch, so the place was completely empty (about 3:30) except for the two men behind the counter. Neither so much as smiled or spoke a word to us as we entered, and as I said, we were the ONLY patrons in the place. The only menu item is the "Tony Dog".....a hot dog with mustard, onions, and chili. It was about $2.50. You can add sauerkraut or cheese (actually nacho cheese sauce in a squirt bottle) for an extra 15 cents. No ketchup available (and after reading other reviews, I'm glad I didn't ask). No sides, only soft drinks. By the time we decided what combinations we wanted, another couple came in and sat at the counter......apparently the gentleman knew the owner, and they made small talk about the customer's recent engagement to the lady with him.

After waiting for the conversation to end, we finally ordered. Service was immediate, but they only accept cash.

The hot dogs were decent. I have to say at this point that I'm not a hot dog connessuier......I like hot dogs, but I don't go out of my way to get them. These were at least grilled rather than boiled. The chili was thin, and the cheese was nacho cheese out of a squirt bottle. Reminded me pretty much of state fair food. But it was cheap. And again, the service was matter-of-fact with no smile.

I must insert here that the youngest member of our party was a 4 yr old boy who is a very picky eater who does not like hot dogs. We generally bring a peanut butter sandwich along when he is in tow, simply because it seriously restricts our restaurant choices if we try to eat where he likes. We had forgotten the sandwich for this outing, so had instead picked up a yogurt parfait at the McDonalds across the street for him to eat. We were hoping to supplement it with at least an order of fries or whatever side item they had available.......but again, Tony only sells hot dogs and drinks.

Upon leaving, the owner stopped my sister and I and said that he knew we were from out of town, but his rule was no outside food. We explained that the yogurt was only for the little guy, as he doesn't like hot dogs and we wanted to eat at Tony's anyway. The owner replied that it didn't matter, and if he had seen it when we walked in he would have told us to take it out then. He went on to say that people try to bring in outside food all the time (perhaps because of the extremely limited menu??) and that it was his rule. And for us not to come back again with outside food.

It's his business, he can make up whatever rules he wants. But he really won't have to worry about us coming back anyway......even if he didn't have the rule.

• Visited July 2012
4 Thank M H
Norfolk, Virginia
“classic dog”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

a little taste of "up north" with these dogs & good service

Visited May 2012
1 Thank TravelBlog S
Wind Gap, Pennsylvania
“recent stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

hot dogs are old favorite natural casings with large helping of their own chili
Hot dogs, soda, coffee and a couple of draft beers.
Devoted locals