“If you want customer service, don't try to book through Sanctuary Resort...” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sanctuary Realty at False Cape

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Virginia Beach
Sanctuary Realty at False Cape
Virginia
“If you want customer service, don't try to book through Sanctuary Resort...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2009

I emailed the Sanctuary Resort 3 times to get further information on a condo and of the 2 that I received back (after asking the same question 3 times), I was told that I needed to call the office to receive details. Since I am working overseas at the moment, this is a bit harder for me due to the time difference and long distance calls. However I agreed to call the office.

Once I called the office that handles reservations at the Sanctuary Resort to request information regarding the specials and to book a place to stay. Since I saw a very similar place go for cheaper last week, I asked the lady on the line if it was possible that the one I was interested in would take the same price. She immediately said "sure, I think that's completely reasonable" and agreed to call the owner to see if he/she agreed. I was told by a local that negotiations were possible, especially if you saw the same condo go for a lower price.

After speaking to the owner and getting back on the line with me, she proceeded to tell me that she would not call another owner for me as that one was not willing to take the price she agreed was reasonable. She then yelled to me that the owners were not into making my vacation affordable, but that they were there to make money and she wouldn't look into any other condos that I was interested in. I was unable to get a word in since she started fussing at me. I listened to her fuss for a bit before I eventually had to hang up trying to tell her I was no longer interested (who knows if she heard me since I couldn't get a word in).

Once trying to book (through the website since the customer service over the phone was horrible), I was told that they would charge me a $50 fee to use my credit card and that I needed to overnight a money order so that I would not be charged an additional fee. It is illegal the way that Sanctuary Resort is charging a "convenience fee" to use your credit card. If you contact Visa or MasterCard, either one, Sanctuary Resort is not allowed to charge this fee and can be revoked of their merchants license to use Visa and MasterCard (Discover is a bit more lenient on their rules of what merchants can charge to their customers). Therefore, anyone who is trying to book here, I would suggest to demand not to pay this $50 fee and hopefully Sanctuary Resort will act to revoke it altogether.

So.... I think this is a nice place to stay, but I am completely unwilling to try to stay there or ever plan a relaxing vacation if I have to deal with this lack of customer service.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank LovingVacationsVA

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

Stayed at The Sanctuary Resort Unit A-420 Sunset Loft and were really pleased with the accommodations and the resort itself. The resort is located beach front, the unit we rented was bay side 4th floor with a gorgeous view of the bay but still only steps from the beach itself. The unit has a great garage parking space located close to the beach as well as a storage closet in the garage so you don't have to lug boogie boards and chairs to your unit. Really handy!! The resort has 3 pools (one in each building A and B and another ocean front) Unit A-420 was impeccably decorated, 3 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, 2 levels w/2 gorgeous balconies to watch the bay sunsets. The owner really has gone out of their way to make the unit feel more comfortable than home! The unit was fully equipped with everything imaginable. We were traveling with an 18, 17, 10 and 9 year old, everyone was content for the entire week. Game room at resort although small was enough to keep our 9 and 10 year old occupied for a few hours. The workout room consists of 2 treadmills, an elliptical and limited weight machines. Enough to keep up your cardio routine for the week. Bring headsets, there are wall mounted televisions connected to each cardio machine. Wireless internet is only available in the library, not individual units as I had assumed. The hot tub located in Building A poolside,had issues, not always hot, closed quite a bit-when it was open was filled with teens and early 20's hanging out and drinking most nights. The adults have limited opportunities to enjoy. The beach was more crowded than we expected. Lots of families with toddlers/babies. The beach quarters were very close most days, the beach tended to get really cranky and loud before lunch/nap time each day. Although, if you wanted a quieter day you could move back quite a bit on the beach away from the water-just not ideal for watching even older children in the water. The restaurant at the resort has opened (we didn't visit), swim up beach bar expected to open mid-July. On the beach we heard (because you can hear just about everyone's conversations :0- quite a few young families talk of purchasing units at auction this past Fall. We thought the asking prices for weekly rentals were very high. We did get a great deal with approx. 45% off of asking rental price. We rented directly through The Sanctuary Resort. Original rate on this unit was $3600.00 we rented for $2000.00 (Doesn't include taxes, resort fees which totaled an additional $400 on top of $2000 rental) My husband met a couple that waited until the last minute (Thursday before their Saturday arrival) and made some offers on open properties. The resort called them back with an agreement to accept $1000 on a property that normally rents for $2200 for the week.
We did visit the False Cape State Park and National Wildlife Refuge by way of the tram tour that picks up at 9am each morning at the Wildlife Refuge. $8 per person-apprx 3-4 hour tour. Well worth it!! It was a nice way to enjoy the State Park (not accessible by vehicle) and see wildlife. (we saw rare birds, dear, snakes) Great with older children.

We would return to The Sanctuary Resort, however, we wouldn't pay full rental rates. The asking rental rates are approaching other vacation options that include cruises, airfare, etc.. that we enjoy as well. (only 2 of the children were ours so spending $3600-$4000 on a beach rental could put us on an all inclusive cruise or to a further destination via airfare)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank 3boyz2keep
Fairfax County, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2008

We stayed at the Sanctuary Resort in unit A108 in early Oct and had a wonderful, wonderful time. Our unit was oceanfront and right on the corner with a huge balcony with really comfortable wicker furniture. The weather was pefect so we spent most of our days out on the balcony reading and just relaxing - like a real vacation!

Our condo had everything we could want plus lots of games and puzzles for our kids. We loved being on the first level so we could avoid the elevator getting to and from our car and beach. The beaches were empty and the resort quiet -so if you are looking for a party - this is the wrong place.

Our condo had bicyles so we had a good time riding down to the little market to get supplies. It was helpful being in a condo so we did not have the expense of eating out every meal. The Baja restaurant across the street was nothing to look at but we had several good meals and it was inexpensive.

Everyone at the resort was incredibly nice and tried to be helpful. We were dissappointed that the onsite restaurant was not open yet - hopefully before we go back.

We'll go back next summer or fall for sure.

• Liked — oceanfront
  • Disliked — onsite dining not open yet
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank BillPatton
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2008

The drive is Looooong from the Philadelphia suburbs, about 6-7 hours ...so much for mapquests 51/2 hours! :0 ) When we got there tired and weary we had a difficult time finding our room, it would have been so much easier if someone who worked there could just show you, (walk you around and literally show you ) how to get there and the routine type stuff. Like where to put your trash, how to carry all your luggage up and down more efficiently, etc.....(I suggest they purchase 2 or 3 of those "wheely gold things" I think they are called Luggage Carts, hotels have them and you can place all your luggage on and only make one trip to your condo instead of back and forth, up and down. Especially because I am still recovering from a spinal cord injury. My poor husband had to make too many trips for me to count.. We stayed in B-111 and once we found it, we were happy to see the beautiful oceanfront views and to the side a beautiful pier and Land and Ocean that stretched out as far as the eye could see. Breathtaking! The condo was clean and decorated professionally and tastefully done.The beach was clean, and the complex itself very clean and pleasent work crews always tidying up the pool areas, workout rooms, libraries, elevators, etc.....very "resortish" minus the daily maid sevice of bed making, fresh linens , asking if they can do anything for you....type thing. We were VERY dissapointed that the restaurant was not even close to being done on the premises. We had booked 9 months earlier and were told that there would be a restaurant, "tiki Bar" set up, and Coffee shop. None of the afore mentioned were available. So the search began to find a place to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, because like most of you, I cook almost all the other 290 somedays a year and cooking was the last thing I wanted to do for my family of 9 while on vacation! If you do go to a food market, " Bloom "is very nice.
Ok ...so I shall now review the restaurants. The BEST by far was "Zest." they serve whole foods, fresh and unprocessed, organic chicken, etc...everything we ate there wether breakfast or dinner was delicious! The staff was excellent and it is very close to the resort! Right at the top of Sanbridge and Sanpiper.
Seconds away on Sandbridge road......The WORST was The Sanbridge Rest. Only eat there if you want a bellyache! EWWWWWW! & SCAREY!
We had a wonderful dinner at the Seacrest, about 10 minutes away from the Resort. The Baja right across the street from the Resort was decent. The crab legs were really good and fresh! The Sunday brunch was good. One night we went to Ocean 31 in the Hilton in Virginia Beach. The food was good, however, it is LOUD and Noisy! So glad we didn't stay right in the heart of V. Beach. Even after Labor day the noise and crowds were a lot. The Sanctuary truely was like a Sanctuary with the quietness and peacefulness. The people were all so kind that we met there. Well hope this was helpful. Oh....DO NOT order pizza from Lago- Mar Pizza! It was the worst pizza we've ever had! We didn't even eat it and threw most of it out. Our one daughter did like the Hoagie although they warm the hoagie's there, we philly people arn't used to that. So if you like a cold hogie you have to request that.
I hope they can be more helpful getting guests to their rooms and helping to solve the "luggage" thing.
(Ps )....one last thing if you are traveling north through Virginia into Maryland going home ....Do NOT eat at the Friendly's on the right just after crossing over Rt. 113. The coffee was cold, the 1/2 and 1/2 was warm and currdled and the food and service was terrible!

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — You had to figure out everything as you went along
  • Stayed September 2008
      Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank WWJD?LOVE
Salisbury, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2008

If you love the ocean, but can leave the crowds, mini golf and buffet restaurants behind, Sandbridge is the place and The Sanctuary Resort is a perfect place to stay.

The Sanctuary is a very new, high quality condominium complex sitting at the end of a narrow strip of private homes, just before a wildlife sanctuary. There is a small beach supply store, casual restaurant and a bar across the street. There is another local restaurant and a couple of small stores nearby, but it is only a 15 minute drive to a good grocery store and other restaurants. The best part was when we needed to go somewhere there was no traffic, even at check out time!

The complex has three pools, a hot tub, and a nice stretch of beach. One of the pools is right off the ocean and has bathrooms and a nice outdoor shower with warm water! There are Viking grills you can use on the first floor which was a nice feature. You can eat downstairs poolside if you like.

The beach was wide and nice and flat . Part of the week it was calm and towards the end it was a little rough, but fun for surfing and boogie boarding. We stayed Aug. 16 -23, 2008 and the water was perfect temperature.

Our unit was modern with upgrades like architectural detail, granite countertops, flat screen TVs in every room. We had two patios facing the ocean and the view was to die for. The newness of the unit meant the carpet was pretty good and the appliances and furnishings were new. It was top notch, though each unit is unique. A very nice thing was a storage unit in the parking garage for the beach gear. Not all units have this, it was full of chairs, umbrella and other things.

It is about a 25 minute drive to the strip in Virginia beach, so you can find all the touristy stuff if you want to. It is uncrowded because there are no hotels and only one other condo complex and Sandbridge is only about 6 miles long. We ate in the local restarants and never waited for a table and the food was not bad at all.

4 Thank delmarvamom
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2008

We stayed in a condo at The Sanctuary Resort for a week in July. We were so happy that we stayed in Sandbridge and not along the Boardwalk in Virginia Beach.

Our condo was absolutely beautiful!!! It was right out of a pottery barn magazine, beautifully furnished, facing the ocean. I strongly recommend that you rent B 206, Seaside Dreams. Our building had a great pool and the beach was just steps away.

This is definitely a family resort. If you are looking to party stay at a resort along the boardwalk. There is a restaurant across the street but nothing else is very close by. The nearest market is 4 miles and the nearest grocery store and Target 8 miles. Despite having to drive to get groceries etc. this place is definitely worth it. Very relaxing, beautiful, and great for kids.

If you stay here you have to provide your own paper towels, toliet paper, hand soap, dish soap, kitchen towels, etc. but everything else is included; linens, dishes, etc.

The only disappointment was there is not a hot tub at our pool. There is a hot tub in building A but it's a small above ground whirlpool you'd have at your home. Regardless, we will definitely come back!!!

1 Thank Rylan25