“Definately Stay Here”

The Founders Inn and Spa
Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed December 10, 2009

The Founder's Inn does a first class job. The staff is fantastic, the rooms are great and the atmosphere is relaxing. A particular member of management went well above and beyond in helping me solve some last minute dinner reservation issues and oh, by the way, the food is great also. I am very impressed with my stay here and will not stay anywhere else on my trips to the Tidewater area. Great Job!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Rsolutions, Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2009

Dear rob_chapmanvabeach:

Thank you for taking time to share your positive experiences with us. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and received first class service from our staff. We look forward to your next visit to The Founders Inn and Spa.

Appreciatively,
Melanie Bowman
Director of Operations

Reviewed December 10, 2009

The grounds of the hotel are absolutely lovely, the interior spacious, stately, and somehow cozy at the same time. The staff were helpful above and beyond the call. The dining facilities were wonderful. My room was perfect, and wonderfully quiet. It's a rarity for me to feel truly at home and comfortable on a trip. My thanks to the hotel staff.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 27, 2009

On the day of the wedding, we were put in a conference room above the atrium. The room was steaming with heat and after three calls to the front desk, nothing was done. Further, we requested a mirror and we were told, “there were no mirrors available.” While my bridesmaids, parents, photographer and I were all running back in forth to the bathroom for mirrors, there was a wedding going on below us. I felt sorry for that bride, because I know her guests must have been distracted by what was going on above. The 5:00pm wedding below was too closely booked to our 6:00pm starting time. Therefore, at 5:50pm there will still no chairs set up for my ceremony because they were still using them for her ceremony. This caused chaos because no one knew where to sit or where to place their gifts, the ushers didn’t know how to direct our guests, and it made the Founders Inn look unsystematic.
During the cocktail hour, tens of guests commented that there were not ANY appetizers. A few of the guests did get one chicken skewer and when asked for seconds were told, “we are out.” That is mortifying. How can you have a cocktail hour with nothing to eat? My husband and I didn’t even get any appetizers, not even a bottle of water. In our contract it stated during our photo session, we would be giving nonalcoholic drinks and appetizers. The three bites of each that were put out, were eaten before Ryan and I even saw them.
Once inside the reception, we immediately noticed there was no fish. We paid per person for Rockfish amongst other entrees under our contract and there was no seafood. A few of our aunts only eat fish, so some of our guests were stuck with nothing. Not only was it a breach of contract, but a huge embarrassment. Feeling so overwhelmed, we made our way over to the bar where we noticed two more unbelievable mishaps. None of our requested beers were present and the bar tender had put out a tip jar (after being instructed not to do so). Later, the DJ announced it was time for the “cigar bar.” [Charlese suggested the cigar bar during one of our earlier meetings. It was in our contract that the Founders would provide cigars and we would provide guillotines and matches.] Not only were there less than ten cigars, but also the matches were nowhere to be found! So, tons of people were asking the wedding party, the servers and me “Where are the cigars?” And yet, for another time that evening, guests were told, “we are out.” Yet, by that time it was too late, everyone had felt the stress and discomfort.
After the night ended, I was informed that the Founders Inn gave the kitchen an incorrect and outdated contract. Therefore, the contract used was not signed and not agreed upon. With it being over a month since out October 17th wedding date, I have not received one apology, one dollar in refund, or one ounce of recognition in fault. One could only assume that an institution such as the Founders Inn would be prompt in rectifying this problem. In the mean time, I want to make sure that no other brides will have their wedding day ruined by this utterly disorganized location.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Rsolutions, Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2009

We have contacted the bride and groom in an effort to resolve all outstanding issues.

Reviewed November 22, 2009

First we noticed the location isn't what it seems on the site at all. The check-in did go smoothly and the staff seemed nice. The told us one queen size bed, we got to our room and there was two. We got to our room and it had a dirty feeling about it. The decor was horrible. The bathroom looked dirty and the bathtub had paint peeling off of it. we took a bath and ended up with a rash (i guess that was their honeymoon gift to us, THANKS A LOT! The beds were so uncomfortable both of our backs were sore for two days. The wall by the bed was dirty, the ac and heater was so loud we couldn't sleep with either of them on. There was cold air coming from around the window. the room service food wasn't bad, but way over priced. Not worth the money you spend on this place. To think, I thought this place was gonna be romantic, LOOKS LIKE I GOT HOSED ON THIS PLACE! I guess the joke is on us!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Rsolutions, Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2009

I was very disappointed to learn that your honeymoon was not the romantic experience it should have been. We take great pride in providing a clean, comfortable and relaxing environment for our guests, and I apologize that we fell short of our own expectations in this case. We also enjoy doing something extra for guests celebrating special occasions, but we were not aware of the purpose of your visit and missed this opportunity. Our Colonial décor is definitely unique and doesn’t appeal to everyone; however, I can assure you that your concerns were addressed and corrective action taken. Until now, we have not received any comments that the bath has caused a rash. Our cleaning products, which are commercial grade, will be checked to ensure that they are as hypoallergenic as possible.
Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff and giving us the opportunity to address your concerns.

Melanie Bowman
Director of Operations

Reviewed October 28, 2009

Rooms were all different decorations like a B & B. Very comfortable and relaxing. Nice pool and work out facilities. Onsite spa is a must. A lot of nearby restaurants varies price ranges. Staff is helpful and kind.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We really enjoyed our stay at the Founder's Inn. It is a beautiful hotel. The hotel was full because of a large conference being held there, so our room was upgraded at no additional charge. My daughters enjoyed the fireplace in the room (with gas logs) and the roomy sitting area. We enjoyed the indoor pool and hot tub. The outside pool is beautiful also. My only complaint is that I was charged (a lot) for the breakfast buffet that I thought was included.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 2, 2009

If you want to have a nice vacation, STAY AWAY from Founders INN.
Terrible on everything !!!! Rating below '0' = ZERO.
I have to spray freshener in the entire room to smell better.
The only staff that is NICE is, JONATHAN - bellboy AND Lorena, housekeeping.
It is not worth the price.
STAY OUT !!!!!