“Don't Go Here!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
St. Louis
“Don't Go Here!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

SECURITY / KEYS. We were in a building separate from the main one which had signs that the doors were locked from 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. We came and went at all hours of the night, building was never locked. Meaning anyone from the street could have just walked in. The room doors did not appear to be sefl-closing as we would pass door after door slightly ajar. One couple in our group came in after midnight, right by the building door that was supposed to be locked but wasn't, only to find their room door ajar. They called the front desk and were told "Oh, the maid probably didn't close it good." No offer to have security come check for them.

KEYS: Instead of a card, a you have small key that you put in the door and turn; problem was, you had to pull the door toward hard you with one hand and turn the key in the other. I had to put down armfulls of bags, purses, coffee, etc on the floor so that I could use both hands to unlock the door.

BIG PROBLEM: One afternoon, NONE of ANYONE's keys worked on the second floor of the building. For hours. People were sitting in their wet bathing suits in the hall. By that night. the problem had spread to the third floor. None of us could get in our rooms. They sent a team of two to walk around and help people, but it would take a while for them to get there. Problem still was not solved when we checked out the next day.

ROOMS: While initially impressed with the beauty of the lobby and building, I was mildly disappointed by the smallness of our room. Second problem - a not-so-comfortable mattress, which, I eventually discovered, was even more so due to a FULL-sized bed mattress cover, which had been put on our QUEEN-sized bed. It proceeded to roll up and cause lumps all night. I removed it the next day, only to have them replace it with another, wrong-sized mattress cover. If they want a mattress cover, at least make it the same size of the bed. Water on the bathroom floor by the toilet. It was slightly damp, so I put a towel down. The next morning, the towel was soaked and dripping with water. I continued that for the next four days. Yes, we could have called the front desk but since we weren't actually going to be in the room that much except for sleeping, we decided just to put up with it rather than be moved to another room. But it seems like the maids, picking up a soaking towel day after day would have caught on to something.

ELEVATOR SAUNA. No air conditioning in the elevators. That might not sound like a big deal, but it was at least 110 degrees in those hot-boxes. You'd be drenched in sweat by the time you rode only the two or three floors needed to get to ground level.

We were in a fairly big group and heard regular comments about stained furniture, holes in carpets, stopped up toilets, no concern from the front desk when complaints were lodged.

To be fair, our banquet both nights were more than attentive and helpful. They have a great breakfast buffet. It was pretty to look at. But very, very, very run down. Don't waste your money on appearances.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2009

My room was fine- cornoer room with a fireplace. Plenty of room and decently clean (except for a few cobwebs). On arrival, no greeting. When reception finally acknowledged me she told me it would be a while because they had to re- key each room at each door. It was very late and I was very tired, but fine. Then she told me not to stand in front of the desk. So I hauled my baggage to a seating area. Quite a bit later she waved me over with her hand and I hauled everything back over only to be told the re-key person was available. There was no reason to haul everythung back and forth except that maybe it amused her. The key guy showed me to my room- I carried all the bags. Room, as said, fine except for cobwebs. Had a FABULOUS massage at the spa and a really expensive crunny facial. Bill took weeks to work out. All in all, probably won't return. Rudeness is never acceptable.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
ashburn, va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

I was looking for a last minute option for a weekend trip to Virginia Beach. The only place on the beach that I could find was over $400 so I decided to stay further out. Founders Inn is about 15 minutes away from the beach. I was booked through Priceline and got a good deal, so I didn't actuall pick this particular hotel.
The grounds are very nice, check in staff pleasant. The room was very nice and very clean. I can't believe that I stayed at the same place some of the unhappy reviewers did.
Yes, I did get hit with the $11 resort fee, but so what. It's $11.00; I saved $80 when I booked the room through Priceline. The security system was down the entire evening we stayed there so we had to have a staff member let us in the room. Some of the other people that were staying there went nuts and were very unhappy. I felt sorry for the staff and at least to me it wasn't a big deal. Things happen.
Overall - nice option versus staying at the beach. Comfortable and clean and my whole family was very happy. Only minor complaint was that the maps weren't clear on where everything is and the building weren't mark. But overall, I would recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Chattanooga, TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

Our stay at the Founders Inn started wonderfully. The bellman, Mr. Riddick, was the greatest. He offered to valet our vehicle. We parked ourselves but he waited at the front of the hotel with our luggage. As he took us to our room he pointed out all the lovely surroundings of the hotel. As we arrived at the James Building he explained how our keys would unlock the doors to enter. He was very knowledgeable of the hotel and the area. Just a great way to begin our stay. Theresa, I think, was very helpful at the front desk when we needed to locate a WalMart. They had directions already printed on cards!! Great idea for out of towners.

We ate several meals at the hotel during our stay. The breakfast buffet was delicious. The made to order omelets and french toast awesome. The Hunt Room is a nice place to relax have a cocktail and order from the lighter fair menu. The atomsphere was calming and very relaxing. Just the place to hold conversation. The service was very good even during the busy Saturday afternoon while we were there. The food was very tasty. One item in paticular got our attention. The loaded potato skins. I think they used half a patato for each skin. Yummy!!! We also had in room dining one night. The attendant answering the phone was pleasant and helpful. The order was delivered within the time given and everything was correct with the order. The attendant did a great job presenting the meal.
All the staff we came in contact with was very courteous and friendly. I do plan to visit again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Cape Cod
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2009

I recently stayed at the Founders Inn for 2 days with my daughter who is in the Navy. After reading Trip Advisor I chose this resort . The location is very easy to get to, right off of the highway. Across the street is a 7-11, shoneys, waffle house, chinese food so there are quick easy options for food is desired. If going to the beach, it is a trek-not close so this resort would be a drag if your main purpose was to enjoy the beach.
Th resort is lovely upon driving up-parking free although no valet. The lobby is beautiful, very old and kept well. This reminds me of the Equinox resort and spa in Manchester VT.
I flew from MA and was hoping to check in early, if room was not ready I would have ben delighted to sit by the pool and wait. I was told that check in was 4PM and that NO rooms were ready. I asked if I could be called when the room was ready, the lady told me that she may be too busy to do that and I should check back later. I was hungry so I ventured down to the restaurant, which looked nice but I decided to look around the neighborhood. I also checked on the pool but I could not access the pool area without a room key! I returned at 3P, my daughter joined me and checked again-still room not ready. I waited in the lobby and watched other's baggage being brought up to their rooms. We left for coffee and we were called at 330-room is now ready.
When we arrived in our room, it was large with 2 soft beds, decor dated but overall seemed clean. Large bleach stain on carpet by bathroom. Plenty of windows-nice room. My daughter hopped in the shower-NO HOT WATER! I called down and a man came to check it out in about 10 min. By the time he arrived we hot water, he explained that the wing we were in is only used on weekends-so the hot water was shut off. So much for the room not being ready! I am most bothered by a lack of hospitality, that is their business. I wasted hours waiting to check into a room that was unoccupied! Shame on the Founder's Inn, I don't expect to check in early-I was just hoping. Most hotels/resorts will offer to check your bags and offer you the use of the resort facilities while you wait. This left a bad taste in my mouth, I never ate at the Inn, rather I ate at the Waffle house across the street. I would rather give them the business. I never had another chance to use the beautiful pool or facilities-we were on the USS Harry Truman all the next day. I would not return to the founders Inn based on poor hospitality. Next visit we will pick a reliable chain like Marriott who know their business.

Stayed July 2009
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2009

When I checked in they told me there would be an additional $11/day "resort fee". I told them I would not be paying that so they did not charge me. After checking in, the desk clerk pointed out the door, told me to turn right and then left to find my room (in an entirely different building). It was very dark, there was inadequate outdoor lighting and there were no signs labeling the building or the entrances: not only frustrating, but unsafe.

The room was shabby and smelled like approximately 40 pair of old, dirty tennis shoes. The beds were "made" without tucking in the sheets so I had to redo the whole thing myself. I asked for a quiet room. They put me right next to the ice machine and maid supply area. I asked for another room. They offered one that was actually worse than the one I was in. The night manager directed the desk clerk to make a 20% adjustment on my bill. That still has not happened despite numerous queries. Each person I speak to feigns ignorance: inexcusable customer service.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank MiMolly
staples401, Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2009
Guest booked reservation through a third party site that does indicate the daily resort fee. Concessions were presented to improve guest’s stay but were declined. The adjustment offered to the guest was processed on the day of check out, however, adjustments made through third parties takes several days before credit appears.
Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2009

Common areas and the grounds are beautiful, but the room was horrible! Dirty and dated decor. Little to no natural light available from room view, tears and stains in the comforter, and hair on the floor of the bathroom. Unsure if we received these inferior accomodations due to booking via Travelocity, but we checked out an hour after check in.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple