SECURITY / KEYS. We were in a building separate from the main one which had signs that the doors were locked from 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. We came and went at all hours of the night, building was never locked. Meaning anyone from the street could have just walked in. The room doors did not appear to be sefl-closing as we would pass door after door slightly ajar. One couple in our group came in after midnight, right by the building door that was supposed to be locked but wasn't, only to find their room door ajar. They called the front desk and were told "Oh, the maid probably didn't close it good." No offer to have security come check for them.
KEYS: Instead of a card, a you have small key that you put in the door and turn; problem was, you had to pull the door toward hard you with one hand and turn the key in the other. I had to put down armfulls of bags, purses, coffee, etc on the floor so that I could use both hands to unlock the door.
BIG PROBLEM: One afternoon, NONE of ANYONE's keys worked on the second floor of the building. For hours. People were sitting in their wet bathing suits in the hall. By that night. the problem had spread to the third floor. None of us could get in our rooms. They sent a team of two to walk around and help people, but it would take a while for them to get there. Problem still was not solved when we checked out the next day.
ROOMS: While initially impressed with the beauty of the lobby and building, I was mildly disappointed by the smallness of our room. Second problem - a not-so-comfortable mattress, which, I eventually discovered, was even more so due to a FULL-sized bed mattress cover, which had been put on our QUEEN-sized bed. It proceeded to roll up and cause lumps all night. I removed it the next day, only to have them replace it with another, wrong-sized mattress cover. If they want a mattress cover, at least make it the same size of the bed. Water on the bathroom floor by the toilet. It was slightly damp, so I put a towel down. The next morning, the towel was soaked and dripping with water. I continued that for the next four days. Yes, we could have called the front desk but since we weren't actually going to be in the room that much except for sleeping, we decided just to put up with it rather than be moved to another room. But it seems like the maids, picking up a soaking towel day after day would have caught on to something.
ELEVATOR SAUNA. No air conditioning in the elevators. That might not sound like a big deal, but it was at least 110 degrees in those hot-boxes. You'd be drenched in sweat by the time you rode only the two or three floors needed to get to ground level.
We were in a fairly big group and heard regular comments about stained furniture, holes in carpets, stopped up toilets, no concern from the front desk when complaints were lodged.
To be fair, our banquet both nights were more than attentive and helpful. They have a great breakfast buffet. It was pretty to look at. But very, very, very run down. Don't waste your money on appearances.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The timeless Founders Inn and Spa is a Virginia Beach resort that pampers guests with the comforts of home, concierge attention and hi-tech conveniences. Select guest rooms with fireplaces and views of the serene lake and lovely Colonial garden are especially unforgettable. The Founders Inn and Spa features a wealth of excellent amenities and guest services including comfortable rooms and suite accommodations, in-house restaurants, a spa and fitness center, a shuttle service, pet-friendly rooms, complimentary wi-fi, a business center, special event spaces and meeting venues, to name a few. Whether it is a business stay, a family vacation, or a life event, we are looking forward to a chance to serve you at The Founders Inn and Spa near Norfolk, Virgnia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Founders Inn and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Founders Hotel Virginia Beach
- Founders Hotel Virginia Beach