“The grounds are amazing”

The Founders Inn and Spa
Ranked #16 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed August 18, 2014

When we first arrived we were very pleased with how perfect everything was kept up. The grounds were one of the best that we have stayed at. Room was not ready at check in time so the front desk manager said that she would call me when it was ready. We walked down the hall and waiting over an hour in their restaurant. Finally we went and checked and she tried to tell me she called twice and left a message each time. After I called her out and made it clear that she was lying, she proceeded to blame my phone (brand new Samsung Galaxy 5S) and say that the voicemail must not notifying me. Finally the wife and I just began laughing and gave up. All she had to do was admit they made a mistake and all would have been fine. Room was ok, little outdated but fit the star rating. TV was great and so was the bed. If you are traveling as a couple you will need to ask for extra pillows because there are only 2 on the bed. Overall I would stay here again as long as I dont run into the manager.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
FoundersInn, Front Office Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Dear Absoluthick,

Thank you for allowing me to speak with you today regarding your experience at the Front Desk. Once again please accept my sincerest apologies for the upset caused. Thank you also for giving us the opportunity to welcome you on a return visit to the hotel where we can demonstrate our commitment to providing exceptional guest service. I am delighted you enjoyed our amenities including the grounds, which is a calm oasis for our guests. We look forward to welcoming you on your return visit, which we hope will be soon.

Rashelle Johnson
Front Desk Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,188)

Reviewed August 17, 2014

This was my first time staying at the Founder's Inn and Spa. I needed a peaceful get away where I could relax. The inn was very nice with a comfortable bed, flat screen TV, and seating area. The staff was very friendly and offered exceptional service. I thought the breakfast was reasonable and really enjoyed the omelet station. Even though turkey bacon is not offered on the breakfast buffet, there is something for everyone. The gym has well maintained equipment. There are wipes handy to clean the machines when finished working out. The Almond Spa was wonderful! I had a Swedish Massage and nice warm towels were put on my feet and back. The grounds are so peaceful and quiet. You can get lost in your thoughts. I took advantage of the exceptional dinner in the Swan Terrace with a nice selection of seafood, chicken, fish, vegetables, fruits, and desserts.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Dear MsC8108,

Thank you for your review. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and could partake in the delicious breakfast buffet and omelet station. The fitness center is a great amenity, as well as the Flowering Almond Spa. We pride ourselves in having unique amenities, like the English gardens and idealic lake, that provide lasting memories for our guests. I hope that you will join us again soon, perhaps even during the holidays when over 100,000 twinkling lights grace the gardens and hotel property.

Reviewed August 17, 2014

Before booking, I did my homework so you wont have to. I looked at all hotels on and around the Virginia Beach area. I don't like surprises on vacation. The area is about 15 minutes from the beach, they have a free shuttle to and from the beach. This hotel has everything you can possibly need. I traveled with my husband,14 and 20 year old boys and we stayed 6 nights. Call the hotel directly you will get a great deal with complimentary breakfast. The breakfast is a 10 and a MUST!!!! Eggs, apple bacon, sausage, pancakes, french toast, oatmeal, southern delicious grits, eggs to your style fresh, hash browns, etc... all served buffet style, all you can eat, in the gorgeous main dining room with white table clothes and your waitress. You can also sit outside which is beautiful too. We are from NY so we are picky.
The hotel has a large outdoor pool, water slide, indoor pool and indoor steaming hot jacuzzi, a spa for the ladies or men, up to date large exercise facility with plenty of towels and water, basketball hoop and tennis courts.
I made sure I requested a room in the main building facing the pond. My room was a corner room 2214. Two large queen size beds, spotless clean room, I requested the renovated bathroom only. Like I said, I did my homework. They have two bathroom vanity sinks which saved me with teenagers. One was inside the bathroom and the other was right outside the bathroom, this is so favorable. Some other bathrooms are not renovated yet. A 42 inch flat screen TV, refrigerator, they give you 2 water bottle a day which really is nice. Plenty of towels, and what was really helpful were the two desks in the room with plenty of outlets. The kids and I brought Ipads, computers and phones and I have been in hotels with two outlets with only one working. Free wi-fi in the room and free parking. No resort fee. The lemon water served all day was nice in the hallway, the complimentary cookies also a nice touch in the evening. There is a 7 eleven store across the street and half a mile down, plenty of restaurants including Outbacks, Ihop, Wendys, Taco bell, McDonalds, Olive Garden was further down but not far. There is a waffle place next to the 7eleven but I would recommend the hotel breakfast, you wont be disappointed. We never had dinner there because it was a bit pricy but I am sure it must have been good.
Everyone in the hotel was so nice and they go out of their way to help you. The grounds are beautiful and there is a jogging trail. If you want loud noise and a zoo experience than you need a hotel on the beach. You would think I have stock in the hotel giving high ratings but I don't.

Room Tip: In the main building facing the pond, renovated bathroom.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Dear Georgia H,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Founders Inn & Spa. How great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our breakfast buffet, pool areas, and a lovely main building room. It is wonderful that you also enjoyed a renovated bathroom and delightful view of the lake from your room.

I hope that during your next stay you are able to enjoy dinner in the Hunt Room or Swan Terrace Grill, as well as experience a tranquil spa treatment at the Flowering Almond Spa. We can't wait to welcome you back!

Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Had a great stay my daughters for a girls weekend. Love the historical side of this hotel. Staff were amazing...including the room attendants! We are already talking about our next trip. Only downside was the allowing of pets. Had a dog barking most of the second night.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Cheree H,

Thank you for your kind comments. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your girls' weekend! Both our nod to the Georgian-era through our decor and our southern hospitality lend to a positively unique stay. I apologize that you experienced a noise disruption. The James River Lodge and Main Building have non-pet rooms rooms and I am happy to notate your preference for either of these area during your next stay. I hope to see you again soon for another great visit.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

For the price this property rates at the top of the heap. Well worth the aaa rate we received. Room was very nice. Bedspread on the bed was nice.Bed was very comfortable. Nice outside pool with lifeguards. Inside pool was at a very nice temp. Hot tub was a bit small but did the job. Breakfast was extra $ 9 Do this ....great value. This will be our hotel of choice next time we are in the area.Check this property out.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tig2811

Dear Tig2811,

Thank you for your review. How wonderful to hear that you enjoyed the well-appointed, comfortable rooms, pool areas, and delicious breakfast buffet. I am glad to hear that you will join us again during your next visit to Virginia Beach. I highly recommend a visit during the holidays, as the hotel property is adorned in sparkling lights and we have wonderful events planned, like our Grand Illumination and holiday buffets. See you soon!

Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

This is my second time at the Founder's Inn and Spa. Each time has been a great success. The rooms are very nice and although the older contemporary style is their choice, it still made for a nice stay.
The brunch on the property is EXCEPTIONAL. All the foods are prepared to perfection, seafood, meats, fruits and all.

Staying there will not be a disappointment.

Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Dear Nikkinik2,

Thank you for your review. How wonderful to hear that you enjoyed another stay at The Founders Inn & Spa. Our rooms are decorated in the old-colonial style, but do feature modern conveniences including 42" flat panel televisions and newly renovated bathrooms with tiled walk-in showers and hand-held shower heads. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the Sunday Brunch buffet. I highly recommend the succulent dinner menu at the Swan Terrace Grill; stop in for a great meal! I hope you will join us for many more wonderful stays and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

This place is amazing. From the time we checked in to the time we checked out our experience was outstanding. The customer service was unbelievable starting with reservations and all the way to check out. We booked the concert package which included a ride to and from the Virginia Beach Amphitheater and a late check out. We dined in the Swan Tavern for lunch and also for the Brunch which was absolutely delicious! The grounds were beautiful and the hotel was very clean . If a resort experience is what you are looking for, this is your place. I can't say enough about our experience. We enjoyed it so much we are booking a labor day weekend getaway ! Thank you to all the staff !

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Rachel N,

Thank you for your extremely kind comments on your recent stay. I am glad you were able to enjoy the Concert package. It is a great value and offers convenient amenities. We strive to provide the best culinary experience for our guests at both the Swan Terrace Grill and Hunt Room, as well as excellent, detail-oriented customer service.

We look forward to welcoming you back for a Labor Day getaway. I highly recommend the "Porkout on the Patio" event on Labor Day Saturday (August 30). We will feature a suckling pig, BBQ ribs, an oyster bar, and live entertainment. It is going to be a great event; call 757.366.5777 for reservations. I hope to see you there!