“Good value”

Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Huntersville, North Carolina
“Good value”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Founders Inn after finding a great deal on livingsocial. The staff was extremely friendly and let us check in pretty early in the morning. The rooms were okay, we didn't spend a ton of time in the room so the quality didn't matter much. The bed was extremely comfortable...excellent for hotel standards.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank skycruiser13
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Dear Skycruiser13,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the hotel. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the bed and overall hotel. Currently, we have initiated an improvement plan for the hotel and guest rooms, which is expected to be completed in phases throughout the next several months. I hope that you will join us again to enjoy the improvements.

Sascha Hemmann,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I recently stayed at the Founders Inn and Spa in the campus of Regents. I booked through priceline and read some negative reviews afterward, so was a bit apprehensive about the stay.

However, what I found was a professional, welcoming staff who were well-versed in the history of the property as well as the area. The lobby is beautiful as are the gardens. The property is older, but it is well-kept. There are deliciously fluffy towels in the rooms, a nice-sized indoor pool and an excellent restaurant and spa on the property as well. I will definitely be back. I cannot say enough about the caliber of guest/customer service at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank TraversingRiss
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear TraversingRiss,

Thank you for giving us a chance to wow you during your stay! I’m glad you were able to enjoy The Swan Terrace and The Flowering Almond Spa during your time with us, and we look forward to seeing you again really soon

Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at The Founders Inn. I've visited the Inn numbers of times for special events - at Christmastime when it was decorated and for a wedding reception - but, I'd never spent the night until a few weeks ago. It lived up to my expectations.

I've always thought the property to be lovely and warm, cozy yet spacious, just a very comfortable and beautiful place to wander around, and spend some time sitting in their elegant sitting room beside the lobby. Then, when I stayed there, I felt like I was a guest in a beautiful mansion and could feel free to enjoy all the amenities.

After sitting on the comfy sofa beside a gas-lit fire, my husband and I played checkers at one of the game tables in the sitting room. The overhead crystal chandeliers are so beautiful and all the décor is so nice. Plus, it was peaceful with soft music and was quiet. If the weather had been warmer, we could have sat on the back porch with rocking chairs overlooking the English garden and a lake, complete with a swan.

In the evening, a big jar of fat, homemade chocolate chip cookies and a pitcher of cold milk were sat out on a table for guests -- and they tasted as good as they looked! We also had the included buffet breakfast in the morning which was very nice. There was no line for a specially-prepared fresh omelet so I was glad to enjoy that as well. Everything was served with class.

Everyone I came into contact with at the Inn was nice, with smiles and greetings in passing. There is parking right near the building we were in. There are two lodges beside the main building, connected by covered walkways. I was told that one lodge has a few rooms that are pet-friendly, but the vast majority of the rooms are pet-free, which I was glad of since I don't have a pet.

We had a room with a king bed, but they also have rooms with two queen beds. All are decorated in an attractive Colonial style. The bed is comfortable with a pillow-top mattress. They even provide complimentary bottled water in the room. The rooms are a good size and are clean. There is a common area in the lodge as well as the nice sitting room in the main building. The common area had its own lit fireplace, a flat screen TV, couple of sofas and chairs and was nicely decorated. It overlooks the lake and has an exit directly out to the lake and garden.

In the summer, the pool area would be so nice. It even has a big circular slide and has zero entry, which is nice with kids. There's an indoor pool as well, and a nice workout room. They also have tennis courts, a playground, and a Spa that is very elegant. I had a pedicure which was an hour of pampering along with a nice "paint job."

During the cold months there was a special on rooms that made this a particularly good bargain. Even so, I think in season it's probably still a good buy for being so near VaBeach. It's only about 15 minutes or so to the oceanfront from there. Plus, in the summer, they offer a free shuttle to the oceanfront. It's also right beside the attractive buildings of Regent University and also CBN (Christian Broadcasting Network). They are basically all on the same giant tract of land. You can walk around the campus and even walk over to the main CBN building and watch a taping of the 700 Club in the early mornings and then have a tour of CBN. There's lots to do right there at or adjacent to the Inn.

There is a first-class restaurant, Swan Terrace, right there in the main building, as well as a place guests can get free coffee and tea. I'd highly recommend a stay at The Founders Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room either in the main building or in the lodge closest to the main building. The furthe...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoyfulWriter
Dear JoyfulWriter,

Thank you for your review! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your first overnight stay with us! Each aspect of our property helps make us unique, including our swan Abby, cozy Fireplace Lobby, and English gardens. I hope that you are able to return soon for another wonderful visit.

Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here in January when we were in town for a race. The Inn itself is amazing, the room was large, clean and comfortable. The grounds of the Inn were large as well and nice to take a walk around, even in the cold. There was a fireplace in the room but also two in the lobby to sit and relax. Part of the Inn is pet friendly so we were able to brim our pug along with us. The gym was a nice size and had everything we needed - we didn't use the pool or spa but they looked clean and we would use them if we came back. The staff weren't rude but they also weren't overly helpful or friendly.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Steve O,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your spacious room, our grounds, and The Fireplace Lobby. I’m happy that you, your wife, and your pug were all able to experience The Founders Inn & Spa together. I am disappointed that our staff wasn’t friendly or helpful during your stay; this is certainly not our standard. We hope you’ll visit us again so that we may regain your loyalty.

Woodland, California
Reviewed March 7, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Founders Inn while visiting our daughter and family for the holidays. The facility and grounds were lovely, especially decorated for Christmas. Our only complaint was that we could not get a quiet breakfast in the morning due to screaming kids having breakfast with Santa! There was a small muffin/coffee bar in the lobby, but it was closed. Our recommendation might be that they accommodate adult guests who are not travelling with kids for a continental breakfast! We enjoyed two very delicious dinners in the restaurant.

Room Tip: Choose a room that faces the lovely gardens and fountain. Otherwise, you might overlook the parking...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sylvia D,

Thank you for your kind review. I’m delighted to hear that you found our grounds to be lovely. Christmas is a special time of year for us at the hotel, and I’m glad you enjoyed the decorations. I’m sorry to hear that you were not able to enjoy a quiet breakfast during your stay. I hope that you’re able to visit us again soon for a nice quiet breakfast.

Lorton, Virginia
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Founders Inn and Spa to two nights while attending a conference. We found it to be outstanding, and we highly recommend it. The room was spacious and clean. There are plenty of common areas. All the employees were unbelievably friendly and helpful, and went out of their way to make our stay pleasant and comfortable. The grounds were beautiful, the exercise facilities were great, and the value outstanding. It is like you are at a very nice resort hotel, but at very reasonable hotel prices. JK, Lorton, VA

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Johninlorton,

I’m so happy to hear that you found our hotel to be outstanding! Our amenities, such as our fitness center and our grounds, are a source of pride for us. I hope to see you and your wife this summer when our outdoor pool and waterslide are open.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed February 26, 2014

My daughter and I went to Virginia Beach for a scholarship competition at Regent University. They put us up for two nights at the Founders Inn and Spa right there on campus. It was just lovely. Really. The lobby was beautiful and classy looking and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The employees were fantastic. They were friendly and helpful. The hotel has a small lake in the back of it that seems like it would be really nice in the summer, fall, and spring. I was there in February and it was freezing so I didn't get out and explore.
The only downfall is that it is near an extremely busy intersection. Traffic was pretty bad when we arrived.
I did not eat at the hotel, so I have no information on the food though.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank amyjg
Dear Amyjg,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel while visiting Regent University. We pride ourselves on our superior customer service by all staff members. I’m sorry to hear that you experienced poor traffic during your time with us. I hope you’re able to visit us this spring or summer to enjoy our lake and garden!