“Great classic hotel with all the trappings of modernity”

The Founders Inn and Spa
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Teaneck, New Jersey
“Great classic hotel with all the trappings of modernity”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

The Founders Inn and Spa is not a chain hotel. Its a great laid back, efficiently run hotel with a lot of distinct character to it. Southern hospitality. Warm greetings from all the staff. Great delicious food in their flagship restaurant the Swan Terrace. Spacious property. Two swimming pools, indoor and outdoor. The outdoor pool area has a separate children's pool with a circular slide for the kids! Which hotel did you visit recently that has this? The property overlooks a lake and there are English gardens around it. There are many fireplaces and couches to sit around the lobby - which itself is spread out in many different modular sections for intimate conversation (whether personal or business). They were decorating for Thanksgiving and Christmas and you could tell they were taking great effort to make sure every single thing is done perfectly. There's also a large convention area attached to the hotel with many halls. Charming property. The staff is very pleasant and courteous. The Swan Terrace is a big restaurant, spacious, buffet for breakfast. Rooms are clean and well kept. Large area for parking. Tennis courts. Spa. Very well kept gym, large area, good machines. Overall a great place to relax.

Room Tip: If you want to get a room closer to the lobby and restaurants get them in the 40's range (exampl...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear MArifKhan,

We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The Founders Inn & Spa! We pride ourselves on our southern hospitality, and we are so happy you enjoyed the service. We were also pleased to read that you appreciated all of our amenities, and hope you're able to return during the summer to try out the water slide.

Best Regards,
Sascha Hemmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed December 7, 2013

The experience at the Flowering Almond Spa was superb. The facilities are immaculate and first class. The Reflexologist, Brigitte Bryant Gottlieb, is a superior Massage Therapist with outstanding people skills. She makes you feel special. After having her once, you are guaranteed to go back over and over again. In addition, the other staff people are extremely friendly including Kathryn and Alicia.

The overall experience deserves national recognition. Not only do they offer healthy treats, and a nice fluffy white robe and slippers for you, but they conclude the massage session waiting for you outside of your door with a drink of water in their hand. You also get a nice heated bed to relax in during the session with relaxing meditation music in an impressive room. These folks know how to extend World Class treatment. It's an "absolute must visit" for anyone who travels to Virginia Beach. The price is worth every dollar!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sonya P,

We appreciate your review of our beautiful spa! The spa is designed to optimize your relaxation during your stay. We're so glad that Brigitte, Alicia, and Kathryn all provided you with world class service as that is our goal. We hope you come back and enjoy another treatment soon.

Philadelphia
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We couldn't have chosen better for a Thanksgiving meal away from home. This location is absolutely gorgeous and the holiday displays were beautiful. It was like a wonderland for kids but also a luxury for adults.

The Thanksgiving buffet was one of the best meals I have ever had. Worth it for the price!

Dear Sberninger,

Happy Holidays! Thank you for taking the time to write your review of our property. The holidays are a special time for us at the hotel, and we're glad you were able to join us as a part of your celebration. We hope to see you soon!

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This hotel was so beautiful and elegant. We stayed Thanksgiving day the brunch was wonderful. The Christmas decorations are amazing the staff was very friendly and I know my family wil be returning in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Melissa S,

Happy Holidays! Thank you for joining us for our Thanksgiving brunch! We strive to make the holidays at Founders Inn a very special time for all guests and I am glad to know it was a lovely experience for you. Please join us again soon!

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This Inn is absolutely beautiful! The land, gardens, buildings are all kept immaculate and beautiful. There is attention to detail in the decor of the rooms, such as the beautiful matching spreads and curtains. The rooms have many amenities, including ironing boards, hair dryers, coffee makers, luggage rack, etc. And, wow, the beds and pillows are amazingly soft! The hotel is quiet during the day and at night. The spa, indoor and outdoor pool, the garden and lake walking trail are very peaceful. The hotel is pet friendly, which is very hard to find. I'm not certain what the other guests are complaining about, I cannot think of one thing that was displeasing. It is a charming, lovely Inn.

Room Tip: The room is immediately off of Indian River Road, a main road. Although we didn't hear the traf...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear TravelingTracey_10,

Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts on the hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Our colonial decorated furnishings truly speak to Virginia's rich history. The rooms, restaurant, and spa are designed for rest and relaxation. I hope that you'll join us again soon for another great stay!

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Reviewed November 27, 2013

So first the good:
The spa was WONDERFUL!!!! The ladies were all so very nice and my best friend and I were truly relaxed by the end. I would go to the spa again and again and again...
Now for the reason for the rating:
The ROOM! At first I was pleased with it's appearance but upon just a closer look:
1. The comforter had a stain on it that looked like an old blood stain. I left a note for housekeeping and asked if it could be changed. It was left on the bed, which meant either the cleaning person ignored the note or couldn't read the note; thus I was left with a dirty comforter for the second night I stayed there.
2. The bathroom had mildew all over it. I would think a hotel could figure out how to spray a bleach solution on the tiles and ceiling to clean up something that is a health hazard
3. When I went to open the curtains, I found dead bugs on the window sill.
How old is this place? It makes me wonder if it actually gets many guest of it truly is only a place for people to eat bruch, have their wedding receptions and go to the spa.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Docjc18,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at the spa! We are dedicated to help guests relax during their stay and enjoying spa treatments is a great way to relax.

I am disappointed to hear that other factors of your stay were not as pleasing. I apologize for the issues that you encountered. While there is no excuse for our shortcomings, we thank you for bringing them to our attention so that we may take the necessary action in order to prevent a repeat occurrence.

We hope to welcome you back to the Founders Inn again soon!

Alexandria, Virginia, United States
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I'm glad I got a good deal for this hotel. I really had hoped for an "upper scale" hotel experience and it fell a bit flat. The room was OK. The bed was small (I think a double) and horribly soft. I like a soft bed while on vacation but my husband and I kept rolling toward the middle it was so soft. Also, the air conditioner was so loud that it woke me every time it kicked on. It was cold out, but on the third floor it was a bit warm and I like a cool room to sleep. I wish there was a way to just put a fan on all the time because I like the ambient noise, but this one didn't have an on button, only auto.

The grounds of the hotel were beautiful, especially at night with the lights on. We ate at the Hunt Club twice and it was OK service was excellent but a bit slow the second night. Wish the Swan was a bit cheaper or we would have eaten there. Really enjoyed sitting by the fire place one evening for coffee and cookies.

Overall OK, but not worth the full price, glad I received a discount because I was previewing Regent.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Katy W,

Thank you for your review. I am disappointed to hear that your stay did not exceed your expectations. We aim to go above and beyond in our service and product delivery and I apologize that this is not what you experienced during your stay. Thank you for your candid feedback and taking the time to point out areas of opportunity. We will work towards even better service in the future. We look forward to your return when you are in the area again.