“weekend getaway”

The Founders Inn and Spa
Ranked #10 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
“weekend getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I went for our anniversary. The weather was awful but we stilled enjoyed a nice weekend getaway at this hotel. The grounds were beautiful and we especially enjoyed the cozy fireplace in our room and the spa services.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Twin52,

Congratulations on your anniversary! We are so excited that you were able to celebrate with us. Our lovely fireplace suite and spa definitely lend to a relaxing and romantic stay. Please join us again soon!

Sascha Hemmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Staunton, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

My husband and I wanted to go to VA Beach for our anniversary and we found good deals online for this place. It was nice. The staff was friendly and it was a nice little room. They only have queen beds, which is not large enough for us. We had a problem with our shower...we couldn't turn it on. I know, sounds silly right? But seriously, it was broke. it took about 30-45 minutes for them to fix it. That was really the only problem we had. It was inconvenient because we wanted to go out to dinner, but had to shower first. SO dinner was put off for about an hour. :/
the pool and hot tub? HA! It said the pool was heated to 85. There was not way. the room in which the indoor pool was located was maybe 80, but the water was cold. The hot tub, the tiny tiny hot tub, was out of order. so that kinda sucked. but other than those minor problems, it was a great hotel. not too far from the beach.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Cassie P,

Thank you for your review! Congratulations on your anniversary; we are happy that you chose to celebrate at the Founders Inn & Spa!

We do have King Suites available, should you prefer those over a Queen Room. One of our King Suites has a working gas fireplace and the other option has a separate parlor living room.

I do apologize for the maintenance issues you encountered. We thank you for letting us know so that we may remedy the issues.

We hope to see you again soon!

Centreville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had a Groupon for the Founders Inn, and chose to use it to celebrate our fourth wedding anniversary. We arrived early on Saturday and the room wasn't ready yet, but the front desk pre-registered us, and called me later that morning on my cell phone when the room was ready. Our room was a "parlor suite," which appeared to be what used to be adjoining rooms, and one has been converted into a sitting room with a sleeper sofa, chair and TV; each room had a bathroom which was nice. The suite was very clean, and both of the bathrooms were clean with nice towels. There was a small fridge in a cabinet under the TV in the main bedroom, which was in good working order. Our room was not in the main building, and we only had a view of the parking lot, but since I did not request a view of anything, I can't complain about this. I will know for next time to ask for a garden view.

The hotel is 16 miles from the beach, so close enough to visit for the day, and far enough to be removed from the beach traffic and crowds.

We did take advantage of the Oktoberfest Bavarian dinner in the Swan Terrace Restaurant, which was fantastic; I have a separate review of the restaurant, which is very good with outstanding service.

There were two weddings happening while we were there, both of which were stunning, yet very unobtrusive on our stay.

We did not utilize the spa, but walked through it, very pretty and appealing.

A couple of negatives: the air conditioning units in our suite were very loud, and the toilet in the main bedroom would briefly run (noisily) every 15 minutes or so. The bed was too soft for my personal preference, and I really dislike when hotels use flat sheets for both top and bottom; since the bottom sheet was not fitted, it did not stay in place, and the featherbed topper kept sliding down with the sheet.

However, those are small things, and we would absolutely stay here again. The pond and gardens are beautiful, and we liked the little touches like lemon water in the foyer during the day, and cookies & milk in the evening! The outdoor pool was closed for the season, but it's beautiful and large.

We are considering staying here sometime during the holiday season, since it's only an hour from Williamsburg, so it would be a great way to see all of the holiday decorations in both locations, plus be close enough to VA Beach to see the lights on the boardwalk.

In summary - nice hotel, really good location, and good value for the money!

1 Thank Jennifer P
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Jennifer P,

Thank you for your recent review of the Founders Inn & Spa. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.

Thank you for letting us know of certain areas of opportunity; we appreciate your feedback.

We hope to see you again soon, perhaps even for the holiday events and during next summer so that you can enjoy the outdoor pool. We look forward to your next visit!

Lawrenceville, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband (36), myself (35) and my son (7) shared a room with 2 queen beds. I thought I got a deal on the room (saved 20%), so we only paid $100 per night. Thought that since we'll be in Virginia why not stay in a place called the FOUNDERS INN and SPA. This place also had gotten a lot of good reviews. The website pics looked awesome, very quaint and cozy. BUT, I had a few issues with the room and the whole experience. The check-in process was so impersonal, it did not feel like they cared about us. We had to take a bell cart from the main lobby, roll it outside closer to the entrance where the elevator is so that we could get to our room. Yeah, that is a little GHETTO. There weren't even any bellhops or anybody to help us. Granted I didn't ask but I wasn't offered the service either. At least there was a bell cart. So we load our belongings onto the cart and go into the entrance, it was a cute and cozy sitting area with a fireplace. Liked that. Then we get onto the elevator and go to the 2nd floor where we are met with a weird old smell throughout the entire 2nd floor. As we walk to our room we pass a CART with DIRTY PLATES from room service, EWWW. We get to our ROOM and it is SMALL. The BEDS are COMFORTABLE. The FRIDGE is UNDERNEATH T.V. in a cabinet. WEIRD. COFFEE MAKER on DRESSER. WEIRD. There was a desk and an arm chair. The BATHROOM was CLEAN but OLD. They need to UPDATE somethings I would say. The AIR CONDITIONER was an OLD LOUD VENT ON THE WALL. I was disappointed as soon as we walked into the room. I thought that the gardens would be something nice and would balance out the disappointment. WRONG. GARDENS were a DISAPPOINTMENT as well. I work for a landscape company and the gardens needed some attention. I would not stay here again. We would have been better off at a chain hotel. HOUSEKEEPING did bring us towels with speedy service when asked to, why they did not leave us fresh towels when they took the dirty ones off of the floor, I have not a clue. Housekeeping was very nice, when passing them in the hall ways.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank meena114
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Meena114,

Thank you for your recent survey. I apologize that your stay was not satisfactory. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to continually improve our product and services for each guest.

It is our goal to delight our guests and provide superior service; I apologize that this is not what you experienced. I hope that you will join us again so that we may prove our high standards to you and that you may have an enjoyable stay.

Midlothian, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

My wife and I decided to take a weekend break and head down to the Virginia Beach Neptune Festival. This was the 40th anniversary of the 32 block celebration which featured vendors selling original art of all kinds, food to satisfy anyone’s cravings and lot’s of live music.

Unlike previous visits to the beach we decided to try out a new lodging venue. After researching numerous options on-line, we decided on the Founders Inn and Spa. We arrived in the afternoon and upon entering the lobby, we were transformed back to colonial America. The architecture, furnishings, colors, and rugs were beautifully selected and placed in such a manner that you immediately felt comfortable.

The hotel representative was efficient, courteous and helpful and pointed out the amenities of the hotel along with additional helpful information. With a grounds map in hand we preceded to our room located in one of the 2 external lodges connected by a covered walkway. We entered the York River Lodge and were met with more colonial architecture and furnishing tastefully placed into sitting areas.

A trip in the elevator to the second floor and we entered our room. Our room was comfortable and inviting and featured pillow top mattresses, down comforters, down blankets and a very comfortable mattress. In addition to the flat screen 42 inch LCD TV, we had a desk, small bar fridge, designer sink with makeup/shaving mirror separated from the bathroom.

After settling in we walked the English gardens, the indoor heated pool and spa area, the main building and the restaurants (the Hunt Room and the Swan Terrace). All in all we enjoyed our short stay and the conveniently short drive to the beach and surrounding attractions.

Room Tip: Select a 2nd or 3rd story room overlooking the English Gardens.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank K A
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear K A,

It is great to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your recent stay with us! The Neptune Festival is a wonderful event; we're glad you were able to attend.

Our colonial style furnishings and décor truly to transport guests to a different time. Paired with modern amenities, it is our goal to help each guest have a relaxing and enjoyable stay.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I had not been to Founders Inn in over a decade and was not sure what to expect (because some hotels start out as excellent when they are newer but then s-l-o-w-l-y decline over the years). But this was not the case with Founders Inn!!! I was so pleasantly surprised to experience the excellence and first class everything (for real). So here are some specifics:
1. The Staff (Reservations, Front Desk, Groundsmen, Doorkeepers, the Spa, Swan Terrace Restaurant, etc. will bend over backwards to be pleasant and make sure you are enjoying yourself (and not the phoney plastic-smiles but genuine attitudes that they want to serve you and that you have a pleasant stay).
2. The Surroundings (the flower gardens, walking trail around the lake, manicured landscaping, etc.) is such a peaceful setting that will r-e-l-a-x you and cause you to ENJOY just being there because it is so very peaceful and beautiful!!!
3. The rooms (I had a Queen single in Lodge-4) are beautifully decorated in a colonial-type era with what seemed to me was authentic furniture from the past combined with modern conveniences like a large flat screen screen television, refrigerator, magnifying mirror and beautiful curtain-shades.
4. Bathroom was so nice! The towels you will want to take home (but please don't!) because they are the BEST towels I have ever used; they must be heavy-weight Egyptian cotton or something because the weight and feel was like nothing I've ever experienced.
5. The Swan Terrace Restaurant is so 1st-Class as well!!! At first, I was a bit hesitant to spend $16.95 for a lunch buffet...until I saw what was on the buffet! Oh my goodness---it was like what I imagine one could eat at the White House (and I am not exaggerating!). The salads, soups the meats, the vegetables, breads, desserts, etc. ---all prepared well, tasted good, proper temperature and texture and get this...even included coffee!!! And the service was like a 5-star hotel. Excellent, excellent, excellent!!!

And I could go on but will end with this: I came home and told my husband that I want to go back to Founders Inn again and have him with me because I know he will enjoy it too. I am told Christmas there is especially beautiful so this may be a good time to go again :-)

Room Tip: Let reservations know, up front, if you have a preference for a particular room (e.g. overlooking ga...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Janet J
Dear Janet J,

Thank you for your lovely review. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We pride ourselves in striving to deliver the best possible service and product to our guests. The quaint gardens and spa, as well as the restaurants offer unique amenities for all guests to enjoy.

We hope to see you and your husband soon, perhaps even to celebrate the holidays!

Trenton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed here the beginning of September with my boyfriend and his softball team. They were down for Nationals and they were recommended to stay here. God bless these people. They not only had to deal with softball players, who were loud and obnoxious at times, but also had a huge wedding that same weekend. I feel like the staff handled all the people wonderfully; they were extremely polite and friendly.

I loved the decor with the crystal chandeliers, marble, and pictures of past presidents. It felt like you stepped back in time onto a huge estate in the 1800s. We stayed in one of the wings that were stand alone which was very nice. The spa and pool area were extremely nice and clean with nice view of the lake.

I would recommend it for a weekend getaway with your significant other, and not with a bunch of softball players; this place is a little too nice that kind of crowd.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Katie M,

Thank you for your comments on our hotel! We love hosting our guests and being great examples of southern hospitality. The old colonial charm of the hotel, tied in with great amenities, like the Swan Terrace restaurant and Flowering Almond Spa, certainly offers a unique experience! We hope to see you again soon!