We went with their www.livingsocial.com deal of $135/night from 8/19-8/20 that included a breakfast buffet for 2 adults. This was well worth it.
The facilities were recently renovated and the grounds were well kept and clean. The pond was nice with a few ducks and a swan that my daughter petted.
The food was great. This place had a few of the Culinary Institute of VA student chefs who were interns and did a fabulous job with their skills. They'll become great chefs once they graduate. I complimented their cooking abilities. They served up a delicious pulled pork, perfectly grilled medium rare salmon with sweet sauce, sirloin steak cubes, grilled veggies, shrimp and scallop soup and other salads at the bar. Desserts were also equally incredible. Our traveling friends' daughter couldn't eat nuts and we requested a desserts without nuts. They came back with a beautifully made cheese cake with raspberry and chocolate sauce! It was so yummy and the waiter was awesome for accomodating us.
The room was nice, but it wasn't 5 star quality. Nice furnishings and clean linens throughout the room. Bathroom looked a bit tired, but clean. It's definitely a 4 star room, but not a 5-star quality room. They have an inroom fireplace, which is pretty cool for the cold winter months.
The bad, well not - so-bad,
We had to wait a bit for our room to be ready, but we were only 15 minutes early befor the 4pm check-in. We were told to wait around with our friend's room. Once it was ready, they sent a worker to give us the room key card. The room service guy hinted a tip by offering his hand out. I felt uncomfortable from that situation, but it was all good at the end.
The pool was heavily chlorinated, but that was expected of all hotels. To get inside the pool, you have to go through a maze of walls to get to the outdoor pool. The indoor pool was not that pleasant, which is a -1 on the stars. Our eyes were burning just from sitting in the area and can barely breathe.
Overall, this was a nice hotel and restaurant. We saw a jazz band play this past tuesday night (Mike Dunn's jazz band) and they were very good while we were eating outside. That was a nice evening and a nice stay before continuing our trip down to Myrtle Beach, SC. 4-stars well deserved.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The timeless Founders Inn and Spa is a Virginia Beach resort that pampers guests with the comforts of home, concierge attention and hi-tech conveniences. Select guest rooms with fireplaces and views of the serene lake and lovely Colonial garden are especially unforgettable. The Founders Inn and Spa features a wealth of excellent amenities and guest services including comfortable rooms and suite accommodations, in-house restaurants, a spa and fitness center, a shuttle service, pet-friendly rooms, complimentary wi-fi, a business center, special event spaces and meeting venues, to name a few. Whether it is a business stay, a family vacation, or a life event, we are looking forward to a chance to serve you at The Founders Inn and Spa near Norfolk, Virgnia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Groupon, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Priceline, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HotelsClick so you can book your The Founders Inn and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Founders Hotel Virginia Beach
- Founders Hotel Virginia Beach