“2 night stay from 8/19/2013 - 8/20/2013”

The Founders Inn and Spa
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey
“2 night stay from 8/19/2013 - 8/20/2013”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We went with their www.livingsocial.com deal of $135/night from 8/19-8/20 that included a breakfast buffet for 2 adults. This was well worth it.

The good:

The facilities were recently renovated and the grounds were well kept and clean. The pond was nice with a few ducks and a swan that my daughter petted.

The food was great. This place had a few of the Culinary Institute of VA student chefs who were interns and did a fabulous job with their skills. They'll become great chefs once they graduate. I complimented their cooking abilities. They served up a delicious pulled pork, perfectly grilled medium rare salmon with sweet sauce, sirloin steak cubes, grilled veggies, shrimp and scallop soup and other salads at the bar. Desserts were also equally incredible. Our traveling friends' daughter couldn't eat nuts and we requested a desserts without nuts. They came back with a beautifully made cheese cake with raspberry and chocolate sauce! It was so yummy and the waiter was awesome for accomodating us.

The room was nice, but it wasn't 5 star quality. Nice furnishings and clean linens throughout the room. Bathroom looked a bit tired, but clean. It's definitely a 4 star room, but not a 5-star quality room. They have an inroom fireplace, which is pretty cool for the cold winter months.

The bad, well not - so-bad,

We had to wait a bit for our room to be ready, but we were only 15 minutes early befor the 4pm check-in. We were told to wait around with our friend's room. Once it was ready, they sent a worker to give us the room key card. The room service guy hinted a tip by offering his hand out. I felt uncomfortable from that situation, but it was all good at the end.

The pool was heavily chlorinated, but that was expected of all hotels. To get inside the pool, you have to go through a maze of walls to get to the outdoor pool. The indoor pool was not that pleasant, which is a -1 on the stars. Our eyes were burning just from sitting in the area and can barely breathe.

Overall, this was a nice hotel and restaurant. We saw a jazz band play this past tuesday night (Mike Dunn's jazz band) and they were very good while we were eating outside. That was a nice evening and a nice stay before continuing our trip down to Myrtle Beach, SC. 4-stars well deserved.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Ptadude,

Thank you for your recent review of the Founders Inn & Spa. I am glad to hear that your stay was enjoyable. It appears that you were able to enjoy our great amenities, including the outdoor pool and Tuesdays on the Terrace dining experience. The Junior Fireplace King Suite is a great room option, as if offers ample space and the lovely gas-operated fireplace.

I will pass on your kind comments to the culinary staff. We certainly do appreciate your feedback! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Founders Inn during your next visit to Virginia Beach.

Sascha Hemmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Waynesboro, Virginia
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The very best customer service I have experienced at any hotel.

Our room was changed without fuss 3 times to ensure we had the one closest to our relatives, with the view we wanted and away from any disturbances such as entry ways, elevators or ice machines. The last room change was made while we were out for dinner and our belongings were moved for us.

At our first breakfast we wanted to sit outside on the terrace, nobody else was and none of the tables were dressed so I expected to be told that we couldn't but, no, that wasn't a problem - a table was made for us and we had a wonderful meal.

One of the waitresses brought us coffee and must have reported that it was starting to sprinkle because moments later a waiter came over to us, excused himself and said that he was going to move a sun umbrella over us to keep us dry.

Everyday the staff were exceptionally courteous and greeted us by name if they had reason to know it.

While sitting on a lounge chair in one of the many hallways it was a pleasure to see a member of staff make a beeline to pick up a piece of fluff on the carpet.

Small things but those that make a great stay a remarkable and memorable one.

The facilities, room and landscaping were all great also. Highly recommended.

Agree with other reviewers that at least 20 minutes to VA Beach and that Sandbridge is the nicest place we found for the beach but lacks has only two beach wear & gift stores and compared to VA Beach are extremely pricey so don't do as we did and wait until you get there to buy your swimming costume.

Room Tip: Stay away from the third floor - we found the windows were very high up and tiny making the room fel...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Jase7678,

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! It is our goal to create a truly memorable experience for each guest. Our unique and detailed service certainly helps us achieve this goal. Your kind comments will be passed to the staff. We hope to welcome you back to the Founders Inn soon!

Ambler, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I enjoyed my stay very much. My room was clean and very comfortable, staff was courteous and helpful, and the buildings and grounds were beautiful. The place is conveniently located across the street from a shopping center, so you can walk over. I especially appreciate that the hottub by the pool was nice and hot - I've been in far too many lukewarm hotel hottubs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Phil A,

Thank you for choosing the The Founders Inn and Spa on your recent visit. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Virginia Beach.

We strive to exceed our guest expectations by providing the right room, the right technology and the right service to make every stay relaxing, enjoyable and filled with positive experiences. We are also glad to read you found our hotel to be in a convenient location.

Thank you again for your feedback. We truly appreciate knowing that our guest’s have been well served so we can celebrate our success and work towards even better service in the future. We look forward to your return when you are in the area again.

pittsburgh pa
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The grounds and outdoor pool area are expansive and pretty well maintained. Our room was large, clean, and comfortable. However the hotel is about 20 mins. from the boardwalk and resort area, which are crowded and gross. The nicest beach we found was Sandbridge which was about 35mins. from the hotel, it was clean, family friendly and parking was half the price of VB. The staff was friendly, but slow, took an hour to get two laundry bags.

Room Tip: Had a "pool view room" but there are trees blocking the entire side of pool and there are...
1 Thank steelernati0n
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Steelernati0n,

It is good to hear that you enjoyed our property! While we are about 20 minutes from the oceanfront, we are in a central location to Sandbridge, as you noted, and to Colonial Williamsburg. We hope to see you again soon that you can take advantage of all our hotel amenities, including the restaurant and spa.

Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I was very disappointed in my stay. I was impressed with the website and the grounds. Absolutely gorgeous! I came for a wedding, and was running late due to traffic. The hotel reserved my room for the wrong date despite a phone call a week out to verify the date. When I arrived, it was raining. I lugged in all my baggage, and no one offered to help. I stood in line behind a man who was involved in a personal conversation with a clerk that lasted about 10 minutes before the clerk acknowledged me. When he finally did see me, he was extremely slow, and wanted to argue about the date of the reservation. I explained that I was there for the wedding, but he continued to take his time. Sadly, I missed the ceremony while this slow clerk went back and forth to the back, talking to the person with whom I had confirmed the reservation (the person who put in the wrong date). Finally I got a room. Fortunately I was able to attend the reception. The hallways and elevators were pretty warm, the mattress was uncomfortable, and the air conditioner in the room was extremely loud. It work me up a few times during the night. I did enjoy the food at the reception, but several times, one of the wait staff complained, in the presence of the guests, "Somebody else needs to serve that table over there-I'm not doing it!" Poor guys-glad I wasn't at that table! I was pretty shocked by the poor customer service, and I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Catherinemarieblack
Dear Catherine Marie Black,

I apologize that your stay was not satisfactory. This is certainly not the high standard we set when guests are staying with us. It is one of our highest goals to exude customer hospitality and I am concerned that this was not what you experienced. We hope that you will join us again so that we may prove our high service standards to you.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed at this place for 3 nights during our first visit to Virginia Beach. The main building is very impressive. Our room was in the building to the left of the main entrance which is nothing special. The service was great, we requested a crib prior to arrival and it had been delivered to the room, they also brought us a microwave when we asked for it. Some guests were making a lot of noise past midnight on Saturday night, a quick call to the front desk seemed to have resolved it. The carpet in the room was not vacuumed very well though, I found rice grains (! ?) next to one of the beds. The bathroom looked old and rusty which is probably expected of an old hotel. The fact that the indoor pool was closed for maintenance was a disappointment since it was raining almost the entire weekend which made the beach and the outdoor pool unusable.
We enjoyed dining at the Swan Terrace: great service, delicious food. We ordered the pre-fix dinners which turned out to be a lot of food. The crabcakes were an absolute hit as well as the brick oven brie. Would definitely eat there again. Breakfast buffet was tasty however we wished there were more variety. The fitness center was surprisingly spacious and the equipment was in decent condition.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Menudos,

Thank you for your recent review! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you were able to take advantage of the Swan Terrace restaurant and the fitness center. Thank you for letting us know of our areas of opportunity so that we may continually improve our service to you. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

The facilities are beautiful and fancy. The hotel is huge. I spoke to the hotel a handful of times over the phone prior to our arrival. When I arrived they pulled out physical paper on my reservation, yet she had no idea I had a pet and she had to restart the process. The lobby was busy with at least six people checking in and the same checking out. No greeting, nothing personalized about the service or interaction. She asked me for an ID and a credit card because "I still need that for all the taxes, fees and stuff". Within minutes of arriving I realized this was like the Walmart of hotels, they have no need or care for making the individual guest feel important or cared for. I called ahead and was told an early check in would be no issue, to simply " pre register" as soon as I arrived. Well, I arrived at 2:50, never received a call. At 4:10, I ran out of ways to distract my dog and I approached the front desk to inquire about our room; it was finally ready. She explained nothing to me, made no attempt for small talk, nothing. I had to ask if I was given the keys, when I found them I realized the room number was in there. She didn't even tell me what room number I was staying in, it is a massive place and no map was given no directions, nothing! I said, is there somewhere you prefer your guests park? She said let me give you a map. Now, she explained to me where the dog friendly area is. A short 15 foot strip of brick walkway. The area included one dog potty trash can which had the same half full bag, hanging by one corner, un-usable at that. The same dog potty station had a doggy doo baggy dispenser, also empty the entire stay. They don't seem to care much about portraying a very pet friendly image once you're already there, while being very willing to advertise being pet friendly to prospect customers. We called for towels once, they arrived an hour later that morning. At checkout, we received paperwork listing taxes and daily charges we were not expecting, these papers were simply left at the door for us. No warning, no extension of willingness to explain. Again, great job extending a warm, welcoming, caring feel to their guests. Haha.

Before you arrive please take note, there is about 15 miles between this location and the beach. That is a good 20 minutes of highway driving. Traffic is likely as this is a busy, metropolitan area populated by tourists. This however, might be a good thing if you consider the jets that are constantly flying over the beach side of Virginia beach at all time of day causing very loud rumbles.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Dear Wolves911,

Thank you for letting us know of our areas of opportunity. I apologize that you felt our service was not satisfactory, especially the reservation and arrival process. Please know this is not the standard we set and we hope that you will join us again so that we may prove our high service standards to you. We certainly are a pet friendly hotel and enjoy hosting our furry guests. We are now adding a 2nd and 3rd dog potty station to the designated area which is one of our largest lawns that we have right next to the walkway you outlined. We apologize that we did not point this out clearly to you and limited you to the walkway which is certainly unacceptable. Again, thank you for providing us with your feedback, as this helps us improve our services to guests. We hope to see you soon to experience the improvements we made based on your feedback.