“Pleasant stay”

The Founders Inn and Spa
Ranked #17 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed May 20, 2008

Was pleasantly suprised with the amenities of the Spa, Black Swan restuarant and Sunday Brunch. The gift shop was having a generous sale and I was able to purchase some stylish items at a great price. The gift shop salesperson was delightful and most helpful.
The desk and housekeeping staff were very polite and competent. Observed the general manager who seemed to be present in both the day and evening ,supporting her staff and following up on any of their concerns. There was an unruly group of people that were staying at the hotel, while I was there. The manager and staff are to be complimented in putting up with them and trying to assure that other guests were not bothered by them.
I will definitely return with several of my friends in the near future.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank foxygrandy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,194)

Reviewed May 14, 2008

My husband, myself and my two girls had a lovely time at the Founder's Inn ans Spa. The service was top notch from the bellhop to the dining staff. We enjoyed a great meal in the swan terrace and my husband took full use at the fitness center. I thought the prices were reasonable and services exceptional. Look forward to another quick get away at this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank ladyruane
Reviewed February 22, 2008

Overall a very nice hotel with a colonial feel. A friend and I were doing a girls weekend and the check in was a breeze. They had all of our room info ready plus all of our spa treatments together in a folder, nice touch. One of the bell boys carried all of our bags to our room, set everything up and then took us on a brief tour of the hotel and grounds. The room was standard hotel size. The decor and furnishings really need to be updated but the bed was really comfortable. The room was clean and also had a refrig which was nice. The turn down service was a nice touch. The best part was the new spa facility! They have built a brand new building that includes a spa area, locker rooms, indoor pool and workout room. All the spa treatments we had were wonderful. The workout room was well equipped and clean every morning. The Sunday brunch was great. My only complaint was room service food was in the hall from the day we arrived to the day we left (Thursday-Sunday), the same tray with the same food! I mentioned something twice but it was never handled. I am not sure if they were short staffed that weekend but....pretty unsanitary. Otherwise, we had a nice stay. Hotel was near a lot of shopping, easy access to Norfolk and VA Beach.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 1, 2008

I was here for church's 2007 Women's conference. I drove to Virginia Beach with a friend and my first impression was nice! The pathways were made of all brick and everything was done in excellence. We checked in early and got situated in our rooms and a bell hop carted our luggage to our rooms and helped us set prop our luggage up for proper access. I didn't know who I was to be roomed with this weekend, but nevertheless I was excited about what the Lord had in store for me. My roommate turned out to be pretty cool. We met at one of the meeting rooms for service and the grand dining room for buffet style meals. The meals were wonderful The view was breath taking with a fountain shooting out of a pond and swans swimming in families all around. It was simply beautiful. We witnessed a wedding out in the garden and picture taking. It was definately a spot I would whisk away for romantic serene surroundings. It is perfect for weddings or engagements with alot of accommodations, beautiful bathrooms and lot's of meeting areas and the staff to accommodate you with just about anything. They had a few eating areas throughout the property. I also believe they offer gof. I wouldn't recommend this for children, although I saw children there but everything is a bit fancy and well kept for a boisterous crowd. I had made reservations to stay an extra night. So after the conference, my husband came up. The front desk guy was new and a nightmare, he couldn't even locate our reservation and refused to accommodate us. I couldn't believe he asked me to go to the Internet room and print out the confirmation. Only they don't send you one. We had another desk rep assist us and took good care of us and we stayed another night in the main building and the room was Victorian styled with a high bed that you needed a stool to get up to. The decor was quite victorian but nice, but the furniture was big and clunky and you ha to watch your step or you'd stub a toe. Room service took a while and was quite pricey. You got big portions for the money though. This room overlooked Swan Terrace and the garden's. My husband and I walked around the pond, where there is nothing but swan/duck poop (watch your step). We also checked out the spa facilities which was simply grand! If you were to bring your kids they would enjoy the pool area, they had a nice fun spot for the kids. There is also a tot lot playground on the grounds. Check out was pretty simple, just call down and the bell hops will cart your luggage to your vehicle. I was pleased.

Although this Inn is in Virginia Beach the surroundings, restaurants seemed dull and ordinary and didn't seem to match the level of Poshness this place exuded. They had a mom and pop pizza place and chinese place across the street. This inn is miles from the beach and not oceanfront or all that close. This traffic in this area is quite busy as well.

• Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank HerJourneys
Reviewed January 25, 2008

After having the spa recommended to me by a VERY picky friend as the best experience she ever had, I decided to book a massage for myself (being the second most picky person in the world <g>).

All I can say is "WOW!"

The service was remarkable. I had lunch at Swann Terrace (also on site) and was immediately impressed by the attentive staff but never knew such wonderful service would carry into their spa as well!

I was met by the manager (director?) for my appointment (which impressed me as well). She was very friendly and professional. She immediately made me feel at ease.

The decor of the spa was serene and peaceful. The whole ambiance of the facility was welcoming, actually.

I have had massages in the past which left me uncomfortable and uneasy but the therapist there was attentive to my needs and I was immediately relaxed and on the way to a peaceful and rejuvenating afternoon. She was the most skilled therapist I'd ever had.

I would recommend this spa to anyone. What a treat!

If you want a spa experience in a lovely environment, with caring and able staff, this is the place to go!

An elegant lunch at Swan Terrace and then a relaxing massage? It's a dream come true!

s. kaiser

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank flamingogirlVirginia
Reviewed January 12, 2008

My experience was with the new 5 million dollar highly rated spa at the resort. I live 10 minutes from the Founder's Inn and my husband and I stayed there for our wedding night 5 years ago. The rooms and service within the hotel are wonderful. On the other hand, this new spa is not. I called the spa directly to schedule a massage after receiving a gift certificate for Christmas. The soonest appointment available on a Saturday was in 3 weeks. I accepted and my
"reservation" was held with my credit card number and the assurance that if I did not cancel within a certain time, my card would be charged. I did not cancel and in fact arrived early for my long awaited appointment. Upon giving the receptionist (later determined to be the spa manager) my name and phone number, I was informed there was no record of my reservation. I initially did not get too upset because I just knew that the error would be sorted out in a matter of minutes --being a world class spa and all, and we would get on with the massage. Wrong!!! I was offered a later time for the massage, but the damage had already been done. My day had already been planned around the initial appointment time. However, I decided I would take her up on the offer if I could arrange a babysitter for the later time, and I was not going to pay for their mistake. I was informed that there was just no way the Spa could give me a free massage. At best, I would only be given a discount. When I replied that that was unacceptable service and that I would like to speak to a manger, she replied "I am the manager." I was dumbfounded that a manager of a
"world class spa" would treat a potential client in that manner. I immediately asked for a full refund of the gift certificate because I was not going to be needing any of the spa's services-- ever. This manager then stated she needed a receipt for the gift certificate before she could ask the "accounting department" to issue me a refund.
What do you mean ask? Who's in charge here? At this point I am thinking did the spa's 5 million dollar budget not include record keeping of gift certificates sold in the past month??? Especially since the paper I was holding had a serial number on the bottom with an authorization code???? It was becoming quite comical. And what about my credit card number that I had to give? She didn't have any record of it, but someone at the spa does! There are plenty of excellent spas in the Tidewater area that I am sure have spent their money a lot more wisely than this one. And think twice before you are asked to give your credit card number over the phone to hold a reservation.

Stayed: January 2008
5  Thank EliseVaBeach
Reviewed November 8, 2007

I've stayed here before it used to be much nicer, very well-kept and maintained but now it's just really disapointing. Everything needs to be replaced mostly the broken toliet that kept running all night long and the beds, my gosh, the beds are HORRIBLE they offer no support at all, the room's decorations where odd and unmatching but I guess thats the style they were going for but they missed. ROOM WAS SOOOOO DARK THERE WAS ONLY ONE LAMP IT WAS TOO DARK TO READ OR GET ANYTHING DONE!! Staff was unhelpful and it was diffcult to get anyone to listen to you. Front desk staff ignored my issues and act as if I were annoying them, no apologies were offered when we checked out in the middle of the night because we couldnt sleep (running toliet and so called "beds." Sadly, name brand hotels would offer better comfort.

• Stayed: March 2007