Most people come to Virginia Beach for the beach, walking the boardwalk, playing in the waves or to visit the historical sites of Jamestown and Williamsburg and that is great, but then many of us want a bit of peace, calm and luxury afterwards which the well located Founders Inn and Spa is quick to provide to its guests. We stayed here years ago when it was under a different management concept but now that the Capella Group has taken over you'll be amazed at the transformation.
The Georgian architectural style of the brick buildings on spacious grounds, the wonderful formal gardens are perfect for a first or second wedding or just strolling. We sat on our balcony and watched the sunset over the plantings and fountains with Abigail, a beautiful white swan and long time resident, slowly paddling around the pond. Even in the starkness of February it was beautiful.
The choices for dining cover quite a range with Executive Chef Scott Simpson adding international flavors to his creative menus. We had a sumptuous Sunday brunch in the Swan Terrace at $29.95 pp (with a crowd of locals and other hotel guests), outstanding room service and a light meal from the Hunt Room's pub-like menu - all of which we would recommend highly.
Whether you choose the Presidents suite or a standard room, and we experienced both, you'll enjoy the colonial furnishings, soft color palette and general quietness of the hotel. The beds are very high and may require little step stools to get in and out of. So if you are of somewhat short stature watch yourself in the middle of the night!
The staff, from doorman to management, was always obliging with the smallest request and this stay was part of a very long road trip for us so I may have been a bit more impatient than usual.
They have an outstanding indoor pool and health club adjacent to the Flowering Almond Spa. Our visit to the spa was a wonderful experience that we won't forget for quite sometime (Our first "couples massage".) Both of us in the "Fireplace" Suite where we found a platter of fruit and pastries with juices and two outstanding masseuses provided soothing relaxing treatments that put the whole experience at a ten on the "wow" factor.
Many of my favorite hotels stays have been in Europe and the Founders Inn and Spa reminded me of a fine hotel in Baden Baden, the gardens of historic properties in France and the food equal to the best of American cuisine with worldwide influences. So you can stay here and it will be like a European break without the thousands of dollars for airfare.
We'll be back every time we pass this way or even if we have to make a detour!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The timeless Founders Inn and Spa is a Virginia Beach resort that pampers guests with the comforts of home, concierge attention and hi-tech conveniences. Select guest rooms with fireplaces and views of the serene lake and lovely Colonial garden are especially unforgettable. The Founders Inn and Spa features a wealth of excellent amenities and guest services including comfortable rooms and suite accommodations, in-house restaurants, a spa and fitness center, a shuttle service, pet-friendly rooms, complimentary wi-fi, a business center, special event spaces and meeting venues, to name a few. Whether it is a business stay, a family vacation, or a life event, we are looking forward to a chance to serve you at The Founders Inn and Spa near Norfolk, Virgnia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The Founders Inn and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Founders Hotel Virginia Beach
- Founders Hotel Virginia Beach