Stayed at the Founders Inn as part of the New Year package. I had certain expectations for an inn and spa with a higher priced menu.
First the accommodation was average, it took several hours for the room to heat up to a reasonable level we were staying on the third floor in building 4. That's the next problem, we had no idea there were separate buildings so accordingly I did not bring any jacket expecting to just walk into dinner within the same building. With cold temperatures and a brisk wind it was uncomfortable walking between buildings.
Second the so called spa was very disappointing. I was looking forward to spending time there and it was one of the main reasons we chose this location. Bear in mind the spa is in another building we were not provided robes in our rooms and I did not see any in the spa area either. So after finishing my time there I wrapped myself in towels for my cold walk back to my room. The pool is small once you have 4 people in there it's starting to get crowded especially if you want to swim. The hot tub was a very big disappointment, it was luke warm at best. There was no where I could get warm! I couldn't figure out how to get a locker so I just took my clothes with me into the pool area. The changing room did not have clean floors I ended up with a lot of debris stuck to my feet. My husband used the gym and he said that was a good experience.
Third the inn itself was cold in the communal areas, we tried sitting next to a fire in the lounge area but still could not get warm. They provided hot cider which was barely warm. The decorations were lovely the outside lights lit up the entire garden with a magical glow. We went to dinner and there was no attention to detail. We had to ask for cutlery and plates that were missing from the table even after one member of staff had checked the table was ready. Our bottle of wine arrived during our third course, the service just seemed very disorganized, this was not a diner but also was not a fine dining establishment. Food ranged from very good to average, some creative items on the menu, it would have benefitted from being hot. Breakfast was good although we were unsure whether you just helped yourself since no one told us so we sat and waited to see what other people did.
The experience may be different in the height of summer when the hot tub may feel warmer and the outdoor pool is open giving more room to indoor swimmers.
There just seemed to be a lack of detail by staff which to us would have made a big difference. My advice to management would to work on this in particular issue, maybe there needs to be more training? I'm a very well travelled person and have paid much less for much better service.
I will skip this location in the future which is a shame because the main building has lovely decor and the food is good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The timeless Founders Inn and Spa is a Virginia Beach resort that pampers guests with the comforts of home, concierge attention and hi-tech conveniences. Select guest rooms with fireplaces and views of the serene lake and lovely Colonial garden are especially unforgettable. The Founders Inn and Spa features a wealth of excellent amenities and guest services including comfortable rooms and suite accommodations, in-house restaurants, a spa and fitness center, a shuttle service, pet-friendly rooms, complimentary wi-fi, a business center, special event spaces and meeting venues, to name a few. Whether it is a business stay, a family vacation, or a life event, we are looking forward to a chance to serve you at The Founders Inn and Spa near Norfolk, Virgnia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Founders Inn and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Founders Hotel Virginia Beach
- Founders Hotel Virginia Beach