WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of The Founders Inn and Spa

The Founders Inn and Spa
Ranked #11 of 108 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Pilesgrove, New Jersey
“Like stepping back in time in a wonderful way!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

We found The Founders Inn and Spa a great treat. We had a queen colonial room that was clean and nicely furnished. Our view was overlooking the beautiful pond and fountain and the beautiful landscaped gardens. We found the service excellent and the people warm and friendly. Walking through the hotel we enjoyed the art work and the colonial feel of the inn. It was peaceful and relaxing. We went to the fitness room and found it to be much better equiped then most hotels we have gone to. We ate in the Swan Restaurant and the food was excellent and our waitress friendly and attentive. Prices were competitive and reasonable. We throughly enjoyed our five nights at the inn. Only negative is the mattress needs to be firmer. But we slept well.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear Guest,
I appreciate you taking the time to inform me about your last visit to The Founders Inn and Spa. We are very proud of our staff as they do their utmost to ensure our guests are well taken care of and enjoy themselves while here in Virginia Beach. We truly appreciate knowing when our guests have been well served so we can celebrate our success with our staff. We look forward to your return when you are in the area again.

Sascha Hemmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Sad and disappointing. From the downright rude front desk experience at check in to the dark sad circa 70's decor in the room. This was a gift from my daughters boyfriend overseas. He went online to find this and had no idea how misleading the ads were for this "dormitory" like hotel/lodge. Save your money and go to the beach instead!

Stayed September 2012
5 Thank lisachilders
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Guest,
I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced while a guest of The Founders Inn. I am committed to ensuring that our staff is courteous, and offers service beyond our guest expectations. I apologize that we did not meet our own standards during your visit.

I am also sorry to hear that our Colonial era style decor, reflected throughout the properties common areas and in our newly renovated rooms, is not to your liking. We try to keep the feel of Sothern Colonial charm to echo the days of our Founding Fathers.

Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention and I can assure you this will be addressed with the staff immediately.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

Cleanliness borderline. Bed saggy and aweful. restaurants not open. Pool and hot tub tiny. Have to walk outside to get to them, no robes in rooms. Room sparse. Bed tiny. Spa overpriced. AC really noisy. Weird potpouri smells in the public areas.

Room Tip: Stay at a nice branded hotel, until these folks learn to keep up.
1 Thank Chris M
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your most resent visit. I apologize that you did not enjoy your visit with The Founders Inn. I do take your remarks very seriously and will review all of your topics with our staff. I am always interested in our guest’s impressions, as this will assist us in making improvements so we may exceed our guest’s expectations. Thank you again for brining your concerns to my attention.

Auchterarder, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

Had the misfortune to stay at this hotel for three nights in August. The only member of staff that was remotely interested in trying to accommodate our original requests was Kirk. Arrived with my daughter and grand-daughter to be told that only a double room with settee had been reserved when we had requested 2 double beds in one room with views overlooking the gardens. The rooms are dark and shabby. The air conditioning was like a tractor engine. Front desk said, they needed upgrading. We decided two rooms would be better and I accepted a room with a double bed for myself. The room stank of smoke and no one seemed remotely interested apart from Kirk who apologised. The maids did not leave clean towels and I had to reuse the ones I had put on the floor to replenish! Neither was coffee etc left. The lady on duty at reception through the night seemed hostile, perhaps I had interrupted her nap! She couldn't care less when I voiced my complaints, even when I told her I would be writing on trip advisor a negative write up, she shouldn't be in the hotel industry. Kirk gave me one night for my room complimentary as the booking and accommodation was not what we had requested. I would never stay here again. Pat Robertson, stop fleecing people and upgrade your ridiculous titled hotel built in the 90's. It does not surprise me that you are in the ministry!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank 788Jean
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Guest,
I apologize for the situations which impelled your to write your comments. I am always interested in our guest’s opinions, and experiences. Our aim is to offer outstanding customer service and to meet your room expectations and needs. I apologize that we did not maintain our own standards with your visit. Please accept my personal apology. We are looking into the issues you experienced during your stay to better guide and educate our staff to our guests needs.

Thank you for taking the time to bring these opportunities to our attention. We value your opinion and your patronage.

Regards,
Sascha Hemman
Chesterfield, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Nice location, lovely place, nice view of the lake. BUT we slept horribly. The air conditioning in the room did not work, so it was hot and stuffy. You cannot open the windows so there is no relief. They do not use fitted sheets on the beds so halfway through the night you will be sleeping on a bare mattress (ewww), and the mattress is very soft! My back hurt so badly that I just gave up and got up early. And we could only get hot water out of the bathroom tap, no cold water.

Dear Guest,

I was very concerned to hear about your recent visit with The Founders Inn and apologize that you were unable to get a restful nights sleep. Your input is very important to us so we can correct these issues. I assure you our goal is to ensure that every guest is comfortable in their room and look forward to returning for their next visit. We have fallen short of our own standards, and for this I apologize. Our staff can note preferences in your guest history file that you prefer to have a room in which windows open and a firm mattress. Our ground level and second floor rooms all have windows which open and we would be happy to accommodate your preferences, should you honor us with a future visit.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

On the campus of Regent University, this is the best place to stay while visiting the school, but worth considering anytime you're in the area. Charming colonial theme. Great common areas. Nice restaurant. Spa is often overlooked but very nice. Best service around. One of the best hotels in tidewater area. Super to combine with tickets to the Regent University theater, another hidden gem.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am pleased that you found our hotel and had a wonderful time while you were with us. I will pass your kind comments along to our staff. I do agree that the Regent Theatre is a wonderful pairing with our hotel and we hope to see you again in the future for Regent’s theatre season.

Ash, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I've never stayed here - it's not my taste because it's quite country looking but it's still nice. Even though the bed had springs in it, it was still comfortable. I was surprised when the sitting room was actually the size of a hotel room so basically my husband and I got two hotel rooms so unless you are going with more than two people, don't get the sitting room addition.

A downside is that the Swan Terrace is closed on a Sunday - it's a hotel, that means that the restaurants should also be open seven days a week.

The breakfast was nice - the staff was friendly and ensured that everything was done properly. The scrambled eggs were real eggs; not powdered and the sausages were very nice.

The entire grounds inside and out were very manicured and clean. The outside pool could have used some cleaning and the water to be more fresh but it was still nice.

The spa was really nice! Again the staff were polite and helpful. Very relaxing!

Would I recommend this place? Yes, if you have the money. If not, save up and go overnight at least.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Guest:
Thank you for the kind words about our staff. We do strive to provide excellent customer service. We are pleased that you were able to relax at the spa and enjoy your spacious suite.

I apologize that the pool area did not meet your expectations in cleanliness. We have spoken to our maintenance team and Wellness Center staff to ensure that they visit the pool more frequently during the day.

It is unfortunate that the Swan Terrace was closed for dinner during your visit. We do offer dinning the Hunt Room daily from 2 pm until 11pm on weekdays and 2pm until midnight on weekends for our guests dining needs. We hope on your next visit you will have the opportunity to experience each of our dinning facilities.

Thank you again for your comments. We do strive to surpass our guest’s expectation, and your comments are vital in our continued efforts to meet our personal goals.