“Decent for the money”

Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Decent for the money”
Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Pros: The standard room was actually quite roomy, easy check in and check out, beautiful landscaping, nice pool, clean, good value and friendly staff. The cons: couldn't park very close to your room, hot tub only fit 3 people, decor rather dated, beds too soft and the noisiest Air conditioner I've ever experienced. All in all my experience was satisfactory.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 101pup
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for providing us with specific items you enjoyed as well as areas of improvement. We take the feedback of our guests extremely seriously and we try to resolve any problems in a timely fashion without sacrificing quality. With that being said, we are working on the noise you heard coming from the a/c unit.

The rooms were renovated in late 2010; however, the decor you mention as being "old" is actually considered Colonial themed design and a large part of the furniture are antiques. I apologize if the Colonial charm did not suit you. I hope you will visit again the next time your travels bring you to Virginia Beach.

Sascha Hemmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed August 1, 2012

just came back from a spa -mazing packege at the founder inn in vb.beautiful landscape.the atmosphire was so relaxing. the staff was very helpful,thank you and a special thank to tonia from the spa for a much needed relaxing lavender wrap.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mary d
Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed your Spa-mazing package. I am delighted to hear it was so relaxing for you. I will certainly pass along your praise to Ms. Tonia for your spa treatment. Thank you again and I hope you'll visit again soon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We traveled 4 hours to come to this hotel so obviously we were very tired upon our arrival. We arrived at 445, mind you check-in time is 4, and were told by Bethany that our room was not available. When we inquired as to an estimate, she got rather rude and said she didn't know (um......aren't you at the front desk and should know some of these things). She didn't give an an answer as to why the room was not ready. We brushed that off and went looking around the hotel to see what they offered. Near the Hunt Room, an employee (didn't catch her name) was talking to us and I told her how long we traveled and we were still waiting for a room. When I told her I was really thirsty, she pleasantly escorted us to the Hunt Room (dining area) were she asked Jon to provide us with drinks which was very sweet. We then returned to the front desk around 530 where again, our room was not ready. When we asked what was the hold up on our room, the same rude employee Bethany said it wasn't their fault, it is the cleaning people. With that, I figured she must've been ready to get off work and didn't care what came out of her mouth at that point. This is no way to have your company represented and a first impression. Our room was not ready until close to 7pm........3 hours past check-in time. But there was nothing taken off the bill......but if you checkout past your time I am sure they would charge you. The hallways had a funny smell......can't quite describe it or put my fingers on it but they sure didn't smell like fresh roses. We went back down to the HUNT Room where Jon served us, and the entire HUNT ROOM by himself, and did an excellent job I must say. The food was tasty and midpriced for dinner. My friends had the burger and said it was just how they ordered it and was juicy. I had the chicken steak with fries and it was very good. The beds were very comfortable and the room was very nice. The TV was better than I thought it would be......they even have a mini fridge inside. One problem, and I thought it was me until I read other reviews, the room would get hot at night. We dined at the Swann Terrace for breakfast and it was awesome. The buffet consisted of juice, fresh fruit, oatmeal with a wide assortment of toppings, grits, bacon, pancakes, eggs, and an omelette station. A free breakfast was included with our living social deal. We had Travis as our server and he was very attentive. We all had spa appointments and I chose the Aromatherapy Massage. Tonia was my masseuse and she did an EXCELLENT job! I was very tight in my back and neck and worked her magic to untie those knots. Her pressure was just right and she often asked was it too much or how was I which I appreciated. The grounds, I must say, are very breathtaking. It is very serene and scenic. There is a playground area for kids, a pond for the geese (which are there often), a garden, as well as an indoor and outdoor pool. The pool area is nice in size and has plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas. The inside hot tub is rather small.......capacity of 3. We wrapped up our stay at the Swann Terrace and had Jonathan (a different one) as our server. We were all very pleased in our choices. The menu was rather pricey but the food was good. Three of us had crab cakes (which were made with lump crab) and my friend had the chicken. We topped that off with the Chocolate Bomb which lived up to the name. The dessert melted in your mouth and was absolutely divine. We were visited by David, I am assuming he's the manager, to see if everything was ok at the end of our meal. When we received our bill, there was a spa charge discrepancy. When I called the front desk, I was told I had to wait until the spa opened at 9. To make that long story short, I was overcharged because I received a special they were running and because the two departments don't communicate, it was not reflected in the system......this took about a half an hour to clear up. I liked the hotel but that one person gave me a different perspective .......as the saying goes, it takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
I am disappointed to hear about your experience with our hotel. Please allow me to apologize for the employee who treated you poorly. This is completely unacceptable and entirely not up to the standards we hold as a company. I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and are definitely doing something about it.

I hope that you will accept my sincere apology for the challenges that have negatively affected your stay. Your patronage and loyalty is greatly appreciated and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to personally welcome you back upon your return to The Founders Inn & Spa. .

Fort Washington, Maryland
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Just came back from a girl's weekend. Stayed at this hotel from 7/27/12-7/29/12. We had two rooms at the hotel. When we arrived at 4:45, neither room was ready. Bethany was the rep that was assisting me. She was very RUDE!! She displayed very poor communication and rude body language when asked why our room wasn't ready. She wouldn't give us a time when we could expect the room to be ready. She just kept saying that she has nothing to do with housekeeping or when the room would be ready. My friend checked in with a gentleman at the desk and he told her that her room would be ready in about 20 minutes and he would call her when the room was ready. One of the managers of the hotel offered us free beverages while we waited. Jon was our server. He was very nice. My friends were called and they were able to check into their room. Our room still wasn't ready. Bethany gave the same poor service when questioned about the status of the room. The four of us hung out in the available room. We called again around 6:00 and the room still wasn't ready. Finally close to 7:00, someone brought the keys to us and gave us vouchers for a free breakfast buffet.

Breakfast was great and our server, Travis, was as well. We ate at the Swann Terrace for dinner on Saturday and Jonathan was our server. He was excellent. The manager, David came to our table to greet us and to see how we enjoyed our meal. The food at the hotel was very good and the servers were very polite.

Overall, we had a really nice time. The grounds are beautiful. The massage was excellent. Julia was my masage therapist. The rooms were nice. My only complaint about the room was that it would get hot at night. I would definitely stay here again, with the exception of dealing with Bethany!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
FoundersInn, General Manager at The Founders Inn and Spa, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Please allow me to apologize for the way your situation was handled by one of our employees. I appreciate your honesty and am sorry that you were not treated like a highly valued guest. This is not acceptable and has already been addressed to prevent any future occurrences. Your business and loyalty are extremely important to us.

I am pleased that the rest of your stay was enjoyable and that you intend to return. Thank you again for your candid feedback.

Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

First of all the hotel staff was not rude to me or my family, but it was how they treated other guest. I arrived at 5:40 checking was at 4:00 there were to families that had been waiting since 4 on a room, I was given my key when I walked up to checking and the families were upset because they had been waiting if they had rooms available why not give them first come first serve? I felt like they were attacking me and all the staff would say to the families was its not our fault we told you blame the. Cleaning not us wow no explanation nothing just passing the blame they didn't even say sorry for the wait. We were gone most of the day came back around 9pm no towels in the room called room service for towels and told them we were going to the pool got to the pool the sign said closes at 9 we were told 11 when we checked in, when we called the front desk they could of said when we told them we were going to the pool it was closed. The beds were wore out and they had thrown foam mattress toppers on them. No free breakfast only option was a $14 breakfast buffet. I will not go back

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Dap7477
I am concerned to hear about your experience with our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs, and I was disappointed to hear about the problems you encountered. I know that does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and are definitely doing something about it.

Thank you for taking the time to review and help us make improvements, but I hope you will give us another opportunity to earn your business.

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I just came back from a stay here, and was very sadly disappointed. The room that we stayed in we were told they were sold out of king size beds and they would give us a queen, it was a full, not a huge deal, however the bed sunk in the headboard area, and our feet were higher than our heads.I pulled back the bed linen and it was stained. The air conditioner did not blow very well, so the room was hot. They ended up giving us a fan, I woke up the next day and could not breath well, I am sensitive to mold. The phone in our room did not work. I am typically a half full person, but these small things did lend to a bad experience. There is a weird musk smell, in the hallways. I got this as a living social deal, I was so upset, that on our second night we tried to find another hotel, but everything was sold out.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shelly P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed at the Founders for the first time and were thoroughly delighted. Had booked via hotwire, then were a bit apprehensive after reading the reviews about the supposedly narrow beds and limited menu in the restaurant, but left very happy. It's a top quality property: egyptian cotton, great mattresses, nicely appointed rooms, very nice foyer, and excellent food in the restaurant. We were a group of 7, so we sampled a wide variety of dishes in the restaurant and all were top quality: a small menu here means that everything is fresh and delicious. 3 course menu for $35 is an excellent value for this top class food. Thumbs up for the restaurant and the entire hotel!