We were looking for a New Year's getaway and were searching for something within half a day's drive, had holiday charm, and excellent value. Unable to find affordable City options we searched Trip Advisor and found a great recommendation for this facility. I can say that our four day stay was fantastic. Having crossed the mid century age threshold we also decided to partake of several of the spa opportunities. This was also an excellent choice. The room (king with fireplace) was very large-huge, nicely furnished, had a granite bathroom vanity, separate granite makeup vanity outside the restroom, very long bath tub, new style oval shower curtain rod and a commode-side phone. The room was freshly painted and was very, very clean. There were a couple of very minor items like a small tear in the sitting area couch (back corner) and a small stain that didn't come out of a corner of the chair seat cushion, and a small chip in the corner of the bath tub porcelain. Since I have seen similar at the DC Willard Intercontinental they were not a cause for concern or regret. We didn't use the gas log fireplace due to the very warm weekend but noted the two gorgeous lit fireplaces in the main lobbies. (checkers and chess available there) The grounds of the Inn were awesome with reportedly over 100,000 lights up. Being on the grounds of Regent University, it offered an unparalled oppportunity to take walks around the gorgeous campus, lake, and other facilities. I took quite a few pictures of their gorgeous brick buildings. The Inn is set back quite a bit from all roads and highways so you do not get the city street noise. The on site restaurants were both very good and the Sunday brunch at the Swan excellent. Regarding adult beverages, they only serve beer and wine in their eateries and have a very extensive wine list. Due to a large lunch we actually got a take out pizza from their grill New Year's Day. The staff were 100% on the ball and friendly, always eager to help in any way. The guests seem to be of the same high caliber and we enjoyed interacting with both. Since we usually sleep in a memory foam type bed I typically do not get a good night's rest when away. Their king bed was surprisingly comfortable and also well made with crisp clean sheets every day. The other room furniture allowed easy stowage of clothes and also included an icebox that worked out well. I suggest trying to book their internet specials, 105 for a regular, 135 with the king. This room was a bargain. They do charge a facility fee that is very reasonable and was rebated against the alacarte spa fees. The indoor pool was quite large but the hot tub small. Note that both did not get much visitor use while we were there with the two of us alone 90% of the time we used either. The spa services were very relaxing/refreshing and from our limited knowledge, reasonably priced. We will be planning repeat trip to this fine establishment. Our next trip may be in warmer weather when the outdoor pool will be open, and possibly with a grandchild who would love the large water slide/pool that is also outside. One of the other reviews on TA did note that in two of the sub-wings you do have to cross about a hundred or so feet to get back to the main inn. This was not a problem for us and is probably preferable in some cases. The covered walkways are very classy, but wind driven rain or snow could be a reason to have another glass of wine!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The timeless Founders Inn and Spa is a Virginia Beach resort that pampers guests with the comforts of home, concierge attention and hi-tech conveniences. Select guest rooms with fireplaces and views of the serene lake and lovely Colonial garden are especially unforgettable. The Founders Inn and Spa features a wealth of excellent amenities and guest services including comfortable rooms and suite accommodations, in-house restaurants, a spa and fitness center, a shuttle service, pet-friendly rooms, complimentary wi-fi, a business center, special event spaces and meeting venues, to name a few. Whether it is a business stay, a family vacation, or a life event, we are looking forward to a chance to serve you at The Founders Inn and Spa near Norfolk, Virgnia. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Founders Inn and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Founders Hotel Virginia Beach
- Founders Hotel Virginia Beach