“clean, friendly, accommodating”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Virginia Beach
Ranked #24 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed June 29, 2008

First off, the room was a terrific deal--I got it on Hotwire and when I found what I'd got, and for the price, I felt like I'd won one of those scratch-and-win thingies. The room was spacious and clean, the staff friendly and accommodating--e.g., since the lot wasn't very full, the desk staff gave us permission to park in it after our check-out time. Since I was mostly interested in a clean, secure (affordable!!!!) room with a minimum of hassles, I was happy with La Quinta. An unexpected benefit: the area of the beach directly east (2 blocks) from La Quinta was nice--not too crowded or trashed up or rowdy. The following is all nitpicking. I realize it adds up, but overall the experience was positive and I'd stay there again. Okay, here come the nitpicks. Some of the "accommodations" were kind of a joke, though not a joke I had much of a problem with. For example, the "arcade" was a dinky row of machines lined up opposite the washing machines in a small nook off the main hall. No problem for me, since I don't play those games anyway (nor was anyone else). Other slightly more annoying drawbacks: The room had a fridge, but the fridge didn't work. Also the room had an Amana climate control thing, but that didn't work either. The AC came on every now and then, but unrelated to whatever we did to the Amana controls--e.g., setting the temp, or selecting a fan mode of "auto" or "low" or "high" was unrelated to what the AC did. I figured the AC was maybe centrally controlled and the Amana thing, I don't know, a large decorative item of some sort. The pillows were like rocks, but the bed was comfortable enough. There were plenty of lamps; that was nice, since it allowed one person to read in bed with a lamp on the side away from the person who was snoring. The toilet seat had the gap in the front--yech. What's the point of guys putting the seat up and down when the seat has a gap in it, so when it's put down and sat on, your thighs get to soak up all the drips on the porcelain? And who has skinny enough thighs or sits spreadeagle enough that their thighs don't land in the drips? An anorexic gymnast with no pants on, maybe. Everyone else gets to sit in pee. Speaking of clean, they give you a tiny little shampoo/conditioner that doesn't look like enough for 2 people, and when I asked the housekeeping person in the hall for another, she said she'd take care of it when she did the room. She didn't. We made do. If we were younger and had more hair between us, I'd want to bring my own shampoo supplies. They serve continental breakfast from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. only. Too early! And contrary to what I read before I got there, they do not have coffee available on the premises except during that time. They do have a coffee maker in the room, and there's a Harris Teeter behind the hotel that sells coffee packs that go in the coffee maker, if you want more than the one caffeinated pack they give you per day.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 20, 2008

We stayed here two nights. It was very busy on Saturday but OK on Sunday. But NO WAFFLE maker for breakfast on Sunday morning but it was OK on Monday morning. Room was very nice and the location was excellent. BUT I did not like all the dogs. I would prefer La Quinta to be NO PETS.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2008

Read this whole review for a complete opinion of every aspect of staying here. We chose the LaQuinta, because when we stayed at a pricey resort hotel at Myrtle Beach there was a LaQuinta next door that looked so much nicer for a lot less $$$! We thought we'd give it a try. After reading the reviews below, from 2007, we were worried about what to expect. These reviews are now outdated, as the hotel has changed.

Check-in was smooth, everything was correct. We were on the newly carpeted, completely renovated second floor. The carpet could only be a few days old. When we walked in the room it was so big! We had a king bed, and sofa. There was a 5-6 foot long table on wheels under the window you could use for anything and enough empty floor space to do a polka in the middle! There's a very long desk area with one chair. When doing our online reservation, our choices were 2 Doubles and a mini fridge and micro OR a king and sofa. This is misleading, because ALL ROOMS have a mini fridge and microwave. (I called in advance and it was true.) The mini fridge has a freezer too, not just a dorm size box! My hubby bought a little tub of ice cream at the 7-
Eleven and ate half. The other half was rock hard the next day. The micro and fridge are in a cabinet that resembles a piece of furniture. There is also a small 4-cup coffee maker. There is no complimentary coffee in the lobby. On the bright side though, a Starbucks is just a block from the hotel to the left leaving the parking lot. (We walked)

There is a small closet area with several hangers behind the door. There is also a hanging ironing board and iron there.

The bed is wonderful. We slept as well as we do at home and they didn't skimp on pillows. There were 5 on our bed.

The bathroom is your typical layout. A 6 ft marble top, one sink, and hair dryer. Everything was very clean. I would suggest the hotel supply a soap dish. We unwrapped the soap and laid it on the counter. The cups are styrofoam and there is an ice bucket. Towels were abundant. The shower- I can't say enough about the shower. It was heavenly! I even tried to find a brand on the shower head it is so nice! This is one of the few hotels I've ever stayed in that has fantastic water pressure! We did run out of hot water after we both showered, but I must admit, the shower was so nice, we stayed in a long time under the massaging head. It seemed like maybe each room has their own 40 gallon tank, but that's just a guess.

There is a large flat screen TV and I don't remember exactly, but it seems like over 60 channels. This is nice. Some hotels we've stayed in only have whatever their dish picks up. You can rent movies from the TV and there is a parental control. There is no DVD player.

We enjoyed the breakfast each day. There were biscuits with sausage gravy, waffles you make, cereals (located around the corner and hard to find), juices, coffee, bagels and breads for toast, hard boiled eggs, yogurts, and fruits.

After breakfast we left to play tennis and when we came back to the room, housekeeping had already been there and it was just like new again. Very nice.

There is a business area on the second floor. The computer is slow and the mouse works terrible. The printer needed ink. This needed attention. Your room key will not work, you have to go down to the front desk to get a special key to unlock this door. They told us to bring it back when we were finished, but we quickly discovered most people kept them in their room to use at their convenience.

We swam in the indoor pool. The temperature was nice, but it is rather small. We were the only ones in it. Don't expect the whirlpool to be available. It's tiny. I'd be uncomfortable with more than just my husband and I. I don't want to touch strangers legs.:) I would think in the summer it would be very crowded in the pool, but maybe with the exterior pool and the ocean, I am wrong.

The fitness room was closed for renovations, but it looked like equipment was there in boxes.

One of the nicest perks is it's location to the beach. It was just my husband and I, so crossing the street isn't too big of deal. You'll have to cross Atlantic, and the beach road Pacific. LaQuinta is just one block back from oceanfront. It's on 28th street, right in the middle of everything. Not only that, a Harris Teeter Supermarket is right behind the hotel. If you have a family, this would be a great place to get peanut butter and bread or deli meats to make sandwiches, to save money. Keep it in the little fridge. It's beautiful, full service and prices just slightly higher than what I pay at home. There is also a Subway next door, and a 7-11 one block right.

That's the good. Now here's the bad or maybe the good, depending on how you feel. This hotel allows pets! We are not comfortable passing dogs in the hallways. There were not many guests without them. If it weren't for the dogs, I would have rated this hotel as excellent. The rooms are very soundproof, but the dogs do bark in the rooms and you can hear them in the hallways. The front desk told us if we hear a dog to call them and they would contact the room and tell them to quiet their dog. Stay on the sidewalks around the hotel, there is doggy-do in most of the grassy areas.

We saw the good ratings for the Econolodge Oceanfront and almost chose it, but they didn't have any king beds available. Coincidently, it was on our street. From the outside, we were glad we didn't stay there.
They were oceanfront though and have free bikes to use.

That's about it. We were very pleased with the hotel and would definitely stay here again. We were only here for the weekend, but would have no problem staying a week. Hope that helps!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 5StarDad-3StarBudget
Reviewed March 24, 2008

We checked in on Thrsday March 20 and stayed for 3 nights. We brought our dog along and there was no problems with her - we did take her with us most of the time, bascially just not at dinner. We asked for ground floor and that is what we got. All rooms have been renovated and a typical room - two full size beds, very comfortable for the a hotel - lots of pillows, rather large TV and a bathroom. Amenties were all ther if you needed them - we did not use the pool area, I did walk in and the pool had lots of sand in it and the hot tub barely worked. I blame the sand in the pool on the guests - the people swimming admitted they came to the pool to rinse off after the ocean, I do not blame the hotel for this, as I seen it being cleaned in the morning. Pool a little small. Breakfast was very, very nice. One block from beach and convient to everything - we had a great trip. I would put pictures on but we lost our camera on the beach!!!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 17, 2008

We stayed here for the Shamrock 1/2 Marathon. It was about the only place at the Beach that my wife could find that did not require a two-night minimum. It also was reasonably priced.

This hotel sits on Pacific and 28th, a short walk to almost anywhere, including the start of the race for my wife. It was also just a three block to dinner the night before. The same distance got us to the finish line of the race on the Virginia Beach Boardwalk. A straight path to the ocean took only a two block walk.

Our room was clean and comfortable for a family of 4. The TV had a large cable package including HBO and all of the kid channels. The beds were very comfortable and the front desk was accomodating in sending up extra pillows. The room also had a small refrigerator with a separate freezer. The only complaint I had with the room was that the heater was kind of loud and it kicked on about every 10 minutes.

In the morning, they opened breakfast an hour early to accomodate the runners. Later, when the kids and I had breakfast, we found a good assortment of foods and two waffle makers that made excellent waffles. The kids had cereal, bagels and oatmeal. Despite having Maxwell House in the rooms, the breakfast coffee was pretty good and very hot. The only disappointment with breakfast was no hot chocolate for the little ones.

All in all, the La Quinta exceeded expectations and the reviews I read on this site.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank grhokie
Reviewed September 23, 2007

My family visited Virginia Beach for the weekend because we like the post season so well here. We chose this motel since we've stayed here many times before and loved it. It was the Comfort Inn then (located at 2800 Pacific Ave.), and just recently changing to a La Quinta.
Two main things we were looking for was the full, hot, free breakfast and the free bike rentals. I reserved two rooms for two nights.
When we got there check-in went fine, but I found out they don't have the bike rentals anymore. BIG disappointment as we made plans to ride the boardwalk. They're excuse was the bikes they had were not safe to use now. (why not get new bikes?)
Our second let-down was the first morning at breakfast. We were looking forward to the full breakfast and got basically a continental!! What happened to the scrambled eggs, hot sausage, and bacon?? They still had the waffle maker which I always liked. The help even said La Quinta had cut way back on the breakfast. HEY La Quinta! This was the main reason we stayed here! Look at all the feedback people left in the past talking about the great breakfasts. Why stop a good thing?
My problem is if they discontinued these ammenities, then why do they still list them on their website. False advertising!
My family has stayed here since it was built in the late 80's (as a Comfort Inn), but will be looking somewhere else for our next stay. Sorry.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank gsparkjr
Reviewed August 26, 2007

We stayed at this Inn previously when it was a Comfort Inn and loved it every time. This time, however, we found that it had changed to a La Quinta Inn, and the changes we found weren't so good. First, the front desk staff was unfriendly and abrupt at times. Next, the Inn started allowing pets, and we had a dog right next door that barked for 2 solid hours. When I informed the front desk of the barking dog and that I was concerned for when I wanted to sleep, the girl replied that dogs are allowed and that it was basically my problem. I do not feel that after spending $179 a night that I should have to listen to a dog bark all night long. In that light, we will have to find another hotel to stay next time we visit Virginia Beach.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family