“great place short walk to beach”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Virginia Beach
Ranked #24 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We had a good time at this location lots of things to do VB jets boats bikes shopping and food
And LQ you can bring mans best friend your dog get on the 6th food and you can see the ocean some not much but some and I have never seen lq offer chocolate waffle

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Reviewed April 3, 2012

We were so happy to find a pet friendly hotel at an economical price near the beach! This place was great. The staff was wonderful and the security guard was always visible in the evenings: walking around, quieting down loud guests, and making sure the outside was safe. I appreciated that a lot. The room was clean and large and well worth the price we paid. Two minor things I didn't love: because of the low price, this hotel attracted some loud families and college kids. However, like I said, the security guard kept busy quieting people down and I used the noisemaker app on my phone so my sleep was never disrupted. I also felt like the breakfast was pretty disappointing. Yes, you can make your own waffles but the healthiest thing there was a brown banana. We went out a couple times though so I only ate stale cereal and over-sugared oatmeal a couple of times when I wanted something quick. Overall though, this was a very conveniently located hotel and we were very happy to stay there!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2012

While not on the beach, La Quinta is clean, and safe. All of the staff, from the front desk to the wonderful cleaning women, are pleasant, friendly and helpful. An easy walk to the beach and there are plenty of places to eat nearby.

The only downside for me is it is a pet friendly hotel. I love animals and have a dog, but I'm allergic to cats and certain dogs. I had problems with my allergies in my room, especially any time I was near the sofa.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Stayed here in early March and had a great trip. Super convenient to oceanfront and all other Virginia Beach sites. Was traveling w/ our yellow lab and he was very much at home here. It was nice to be able to travel with him and the hotel was very pet friendly. Room was spacious and clean, very comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ConnellyJL
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Stayed at this property for 4 nights in February 2012. Front staff was very pleasant and check-in was quick and efficient. Travelled with a friend and my dog, so finding dog-friendly accommodations can be difficult and somewhat sparse to say the least.

The property is literally a (short) block away from the beautiful sands of Virginia Beach, and it was lovely to take the dog for a leisurely stroll on the fairly deserted boardwalk and beach everyday (it was February after all).

The room was quite adequate for our needs, and it had some amenities not always common in hotels of similar value. The room had a fridge and microwave, as well as a coffee maker and a flat screen TV. The room was clean and comfortable and seemed somewhat more recently renovated.

The ‘bones’ of the property (hallways / common areas, etc) were average looking, and the outside maintenance was very well kept. My three main concerns for ‘value’ at any hotel property are as follows:

1) Clean bedding – no ‘hairs’ or any other unsanitary remnants left behind by previous occupants
2) Clean bathroom – I fully understand that some ‘older’ properties will (most likely) have some sort of ‘build-up’ in a corner or something, so I am willing to ‘forgive’ certain minor things due to the age of the property (have a look in your own home…this does happen over the years, no matter how meticulous you think you are). However, I do expect the toilet, sink, tub / shower and floor area to be clean and properly stocked.
3) A fairly civilized (safe) neighborhood / location

I think that most people are far, far too ‘picky’, and will always (try to) find things to complain about – no matter how small or insignificant.

One must remember that if you decide to book a hotel room at a property that is cheaper (than most), then you shouldn’t expect the room to have top of the line elegant furnishings with the finest Egyptian linens and extravagant amenities. If that is what you are looking for, then ante up and pay for those ‘luxuries’ at a higher end property. If, like me, you have more important things to spend your money on, then this is the place for you; if you want an adequate room at a reasonable price, in a reasonable neighborhood.

On another note, the breakfast was adequate, but nothing fancy. They had some cereals, waffles (machine), muffins, breads, bagels, yogurts, juice, coffee, etc.; so no shortage of edibles for having a decent breakfast at no extra cost to you.

Also, on the corner of Pacific Ave. and 31st Street (I think) – literally a block and a half from the hotel, there’s a Starbucks – which was a great way for us to start off our morning walks, and end off our evening walks during our stay… yum! Furthermore, there is a 24 Hour grocery store right behind the hotel – and I mean right behind... Once you see where the fence ends at the back of the parking lot, cross the street (Arctic Ave) and right into the grocers’ parking lot… a mere one minute WALK. Came in handy in conjunction with the fridge and microwave in the room… saved on snacks and late-night bites. 

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank LJkooLJ
Reviewed February 14, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights the first week of February. The hotel staff was very polite and professional. There is an indoor pool, but we did not use it. The parking lot was very large, and they were able to accomodate our 24 ft car trailer. Breakfast was so-so but what do you expect from free breakfast?!! It was edible and the breakfast room was huge and very clean. It was nice that there was more than 1 waffle iron ...normally at hotels there is a line for this. The bed was so comfortable and the comforter too...I wanted to just bring it all home with me. I cannot comment on housekeeping since we left our do not disturb sign up, and just got towels as needed. They did stop by though and left a note under the door letting us know that they were there. We also forgot a few things and they called us within an hour of leaving to let us know that they found our items and set us up with a Fedex shipment. Julian was very helpful at the front desk. There is a subway restaurant right next door which was convenient, and also the grocery store behind the hotel Harris Teeter which also sells beer and wine! In Northern Maryland we don't have such a thing so that was also convenient. One stop shopping. We got a AAA rate of about $45. Very affordable. I would have never known that this was a pet friendly hotel if I had not seen it on here or for the one dog that we saw in the hallway. No odors. Great stay!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jcraig10
Reviewed February 7, 2012

This was a clean hotel with a helpful & friendly staff. The parking lot always had an available space no matter what time we came in. The room & bathroom were super clean & well stocked. This is a family friendly hotel. This hotel is a great alternative to stay right on the beach & paying those outrageous prices. We will definitely stay at this hotel during our next trip to Virginia Beach.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family