“Last Minute Trip to Virginia Beach”

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South
Ranked #14 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 15, 2010

Great view of the ocean from our room. Traveled with husband, 4 and 6 yr old boys -- they had a fantastic time on the beach and in the pool. Easy access to the beach -- walk out the door and step right onto the beach. Plenty of places to eat nearby. Easy on-site parking. We usually do not eat at the hotels. Ate breakfast at the hotel Friday morning and it was awesome!!!!! Even my children ate all of their food and they are very picky eaters. The only two things I didn't like about the hotel was the price and the sand in the pool. I felt $239/night was a bit pricey considering in the past we would typically pay $149 - $169. I guess that is to be expected considering the economy. But ask me will I return --- ahh YES :-) See you next year!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
SHSVBOAGM, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2010

Thanks for the great comments about our staff, I will be sure to pass them on and let our team know you enjoyed your stay! And thank you for recognizing the efforts of our food and beverage team! Our restaurant staff, from our cooks to our servers to our managers, is focused on ensuring that we deliver high quality food, friendly service, and a comfortable environment. And while I’m disappointed that there was sand in the pool during your visit, please rest assured it is something that we are aware of and trying to find a better solution for at the hotel. Every day we start with a clean pool, but having the sandy beach right out the front doors presents its challenges. A large number of children (and adults too!) want to go right from the beach into the pool, and the pool is so popular during the day that we don’t want to inconvenience our guests by closing it for cleaning unless absolutely necessary. There is a “sand shower” that has been installed outside the pool area which has greatly helped, but I’ll continue to seek ways of improving this, and perhaps can come up with a more creative solution to fix a problem that every oceanfront hotel battles with.

I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and took the time to leave comments about the hotel. THANK YOU for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South

Reviewed July 12, 2010

A very clean hotel overall with spacious rooms and courteous employees. We stayed in the jacuzzi suite on the top floor to celebrate a little summer getaway. The room was much bigger than we thought and the layout was quite interesting as the whirpool tub was just a few feet from the bed. That definitely added a certain romantic feel to the room. The hallways leading to the rooms were a bit warm unfortunately but thats more because of the architecture (half of the hallway has a green tinted glass wall which seems to trap in the heat). The swimming pool was readily accessible coming back from the beach and everything else was pretty standard fare. Overall, a clean, efficient hotel that I would definitely return to.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the nice comments about our staff and our hotel. I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to accommodate you during your stay in Virginia Beach. We are one of the few oceanfront hotels with Jacuzzi rooms, which are perfect for couples looking to get away for the weekend.

TripAdvisor members, if you have booked an upcoming stay with us and would prefer to be placed in one of our Jacuzzi rooms instead of a standard King, please contact our hotel directly and we will do our best to get your reservation moved into one (at no additional charge). We want to make sure every guest who stays at our hotel has an enjoyable visit, and it all starts with making sure the room you stay in is one that will fit your needs.

Thank you again for taking the time to leave feedback, and we hope to see you again on your next trip to our area.

Reviewed July 10, 2010

Excellent Stay...When visiting VA Beach, I always make my way to the Marriott Courtyard Oceanfront/South. This hotel is a perfect place for family vacations or a 2 day getaway. The Staff was nice and pleasant, sometimes they will share a funny story or two. My room was upgraded which made me very happy. The rooms are clean and the decor was well put together. The front desk supervisor "Rande" was very nice and very engaging. I also would like thank the food service staff for cooking an excellent breakfast. The breakfast buffet is very reasonable, and the omlets, waffles, and pancakes are cooked to order. They have fresh fruit, fruit toppings for your waffles and pancakes, scramble eggs, bacon, sausages, and cereal. The average cost is $12.10 and children I believe are half price. Its quick, easy, and convenient. So if you want to relax in a peaceful, clean, and hasslefree hotel please make your reservation at the Marriott Courtyard/South. Believe me you will enjoy your stay. Thank you for the Presidential Suite upgrade. I truly enjoyed it. See you soon.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
SHSVBOAGM, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2010

Thank you for posting a review about our hotel, and I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Rande is truly an asset to our hotel, and works hard to ensure our guests are happy when they stay with us. And I’ll be sure to pass your nice comments on to our breakfast staff as well--I know they will be happy to know their efforts are appreciated! Thank you for visiting us, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed June 12, 2010

I stayed here with my husband on a brief stop in Virginia Beach. The staff was great - sometimes way overly sarcastic, however. (Like made us feel dumb for asking questions at the front desk). Overall though, they were on top of everything and very accommodating. The room was somewhat musty smelling, especially the shower, but the view of the beach was awesome. Walls are definitely thin, we could hear the slamming of doors in other rooms. The chairs and table on the deck were gross... and our table was broken. Overall, if you are looking for a cheap place to stay where you will spend minimal time in the room (you are on a beach after all) this place isn't bad!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
SHSVBOAGM, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on our hotel. I’m glad our staff was able to accommodate you during your stay with us! We’ve recently replaced a lot of balcony chairs and tables throughout the hotel, and will continue to add more new furniture throughout the summer. The room you stayed in may have already been changed out, but I would invite you to contact me directly at 757-417-6003 so I can personally ensure it has been. Summertime in Virginia Beach is very exciting, and I’m glad you chose to spend your time at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront South. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance, and thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed June 2, 2010

To all you traveling pharmaceutical reps looking for a home away from home… this is it! I have been coming to this hotel for over a year. I will not stay at any other hotel, because this staff is the best around! I travel all over the state of Virginia and this is by far the best staff of any hotel I have encountered. Saying it is a hidden gem is a understatement.
Leah at the front desk is as sharp as they come! Always has an infectious smile on her face and whatever you need she finds it or gets it. Even the little things like making sure you not on the first floor so you feel safe - if traveling alone, booking all kinds of reservations ahead of time to make sure you have a room whenever you come, just always looking out for you. She handles whatever comes her way with grace and precision. Rande, Dwayne and Terri also always go the extra mile to greet you with a smile and take care of anything you could ever need! Those guys are great, they do it all and are happy to see you after a long work day. They have fun stories and are always looking for a way to make you feel welcome.
Bill can be found at any time, to preserve and nurture any engineering issue that may arise. He is always here so you never need to worry that things are not going to work, he keeps it all functioning and up to par! Thank goodness!
Tracy is also on the management staff. She brings a bright smile to every conversation and is willing to help with whatever task is at hand. If she sees you eating alone in the restaurant, (which we all hate to do) even if she is busy with paperwork, she will stop to come say hi, and make sure you feel welcome.
The hotel restaurant has Diane and Murray to greet and make every breakfast a great way to start your day! The cooks even welcome you with a smile! Dinner is also great and the crab cakes are terrific, Ashley always has dinner ready by the time I am done working on the computer. She has it all under control and does it all with a smile. I don’t even have to ask, she remembers and takes care of everything. She even remembers my room if I forget! Awesome!
The rooms and suites they offer are immaculate and always smell fresh. Everything is oceanfront, peaceful and a perfect way to end your day.
For all you reps that need to work while on the road… they have a great computer area complete with printers and of course they are willing to fax anything you need. Free Wifi in your room is the best and they also have a nice table in your room to help complete any paperwork.
When you reps (or anyone for that matter), need to do a dinner program, this is also the perfect place! The manager Chris is hands down the best. I asked him one busy evening when I came in, about facilities for a program. He stopped what he was doing, walked me down to a wonderful banquet room, with ocean front views, slide set ups and great ideas for arranging the room. Chris is willing to set up the room, staff it and cater it, make up a menu and work with your physicians on room rates if they need accommodations - he makes it happen. I have seen him helping people in the parking lot, stopping to pick up a stray piece of trash, to even helping people in the restaurant. He takes care of it all… simply the best, not pretentious because of his position at all. If it needs to be done, he does it. This staff is unmatched by anything I have ever seen in the state of Virginia! I have been out in the field for years; this hotel is the very very best! Every time I leave here I am smiling.
Hats off to Marriott for hiring a staff that is not only accountable for their jobs but that is willing to step out of the box to make a work day - a fun day! They just don’t make a team like this anywhere else.
They are not only employees of Marriott but I am thankful they are now my friends!
Thank you Marriott for this wonderful location and for all of them!
MBC
Pharmaceutical Sales Rep/State of Virginia territory

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
LeahCannonier, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2010

Thank you for your fabulous comments! It is sincerely fantastic to receive such praise for our hotel and staff, and I am excited to pass along your kind words. It has truly been a pleasure to share our services with you again and again. With great gratitude, I thank you for sharing your experience with others and on be half of our staff a HUGE THANK YOU for taking time to mention our friendly team members. I look forward to seeing you soon, we are always awaiting your arrival.

Reviewed June 1, 2010

The staff at this hotel was awesome. i have never been to a hotel where the staff act like they know you personally. Seriously, everyone had the best attitude ever! I have to shout out Rande, Dustin, Leslie and the bartender Wendy. Now tell me how I remember their names??? Because they all were that good. I will be coming back again this summer and will be staying here again..Thanks for the great hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends

I am very pleased to hear our staff was able to make our hotel feel like a home away from home for you! I have passed along your shout outs to Rande, Dustin, Leslie and Wendy. They would like give you a very heartfelt thank you for your gracious comments. With all of the responsibilities and tight schedules people have I am always extremely grateful when our guests can take a moment to pass along their opinions of our hotel, thank you. It is always a pleasure to get such wonderful feedback from our guests and your favorite team members look forward to seeing you again this summer!

Reviewed May 29, 2010

I stayed with my spouse and was greated by awesome front desk gentleman(Rande&Dustin) They made us feel welcome and started us off right! They upgraded our room and gave us breakfast! Where in the restaurant the Chef I believ here name was Tracy just made our food to order and was quite the cook! The hotel is a little run down but hey its on the beach and it probably gets a lot of foot traffic from the location! but the staff there is one of the best! We will totaly be back for a longer time and hope to see everyone there again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

I would like to start off by saying Dustin and Rande are very excited they were able to make your stay memorable and Tracey is delighted you enjoyed her cooking! They are grateful for your thoughtful comments and would like me to pass on their thanks. I would personally like to express my appreciation to you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with others. I am pleased you enjoyed your treatment as Guest of the Day with a complementary upgrade to one of our suites and our breakfast buffet! We enjoy making your guests feel special, and I am thrilled you had an enjoyable stay. Thank you again for your thoughtful comments; we look forward to seeing you shortly!