This was one of those stays that started out horrible and ended out being ok. I had planned a special get-away with my husband and had reserved the presidential suite months in advance. Due to some kind of mix-up that I really didn’t understand, the front desk changed my reservation at 2:30 pm on my day of arrival to a king room. I checked in and was not told about this. Went up to the room and opened the door to find… a king room. Nothing special.
After sitting in a 2-hour traffic delay on the way I was already road-weary and not in the mood for this. After dragging everything up to the room we had to drag it back down to the lobby. I was told they don’t know why it was changed and of course they were out of that type of room. Perhaps someone willing to pay much more – or someone much more important than me arrived and wanted it. I don't know because I was never really told what happened other than some "miscommunication." The worst part of this, they didn’t tell me when I checked in – as if I wouldn’t notice when I got into my room and it wasn’t at all what I reserved.
They did give me a standard king room for free that night, free breakfast, and the presidential suite for free the second night. I am sorry, but ruining my special get-away isn’t fixed by giving me a free standard room. The free second night and breakfast did help, but it still upset me that it happened. We spent the next morning waiting around for someone to check out and then the room to be cleaned before we got in there. The hotel staff was nice enough to move our belongings over, so we didn’t have to do that. We did get the afternoon and evening in the room we had reserved, and it was as fantastic as we expected. From there on out we enjoyed our stay.
I will say that all the staff was courteous and willing to help out. I am sure I wasn’t the nicest person at 9 pm after driving all day to be told they didn’t have my room. They did say I could go to the other property up the road but I had zero desire to load my car back up and drive up there and go through check-in again. I spend months planning my vacations and base all my hotel decisions on reviews here on Trip Advisor. I had picked this hotel and didn’t want to go to another.
The standard room we stayed in the first night was nice and comfortable for a standard room. It has a great beach view. However, if you do get the chance, try the Presidential Suite, it is amazing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- If you’re looking for hotels in Virginia Beach, VA, you'll love the spectacular views and location of our Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront South. Our hotel is located along the Virginia Beach boardwalk in the heart of this beachfront resort, minutes from Oceana Naval Air Station and Dam Neck. All of our spacious rooms and suites feature private, furnished balconies with ocean views, comfortable bedding, and complimentary high-speed Internet access. Our Virginia Beach oceanfront hotel also offers one-bedroom suites and Jacuzzi rooms. Drop by our oceanfront cafe for a wonderful breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Enjoy great local events like the Rock n Roll Half Marathon, Boardwalk Art Show, and Neptune Festival. Visit the nearby Virginia Beach Convention Center. Unwind in our indoor pool, whirlpool, or fitness room. If you're planning an event or business retreat, let us know - our largest space hosts up to 60. Few hotels in Virginia Beach, VA can match our great location, so make a reservation today! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard By Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront / South Hotel Virginia Beach
- Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront
- Virginia Beach Courtyard
- Virginia Beach Marriott