“i'm sure mr. Marriott would not be happy”

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South
Ranked #19 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 10, 2013

bad customer service. This guy greg has an extreme bad attitude and doesn't care about the needs of the customer- he should find another line of work, or they should put him in the back office. also, no free coffee? You have to buy expensive Starbucks coffee instead. They did move me to another room based on my request, so that was positive. Overall, I like Marriott, they offer a good balance between price and quality.

1  Thank derrick w
Robert D, Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Derrick W

Thank you for your feedback. At Courtyard we feature Starbucks drip coffee, as well as specialty drinks in our Bistro. In addition we still offer complimentary coffee in all of our guest rooms. I apologies for any negative experiences you had, and your comments will be shared with our team.

Warm regards,

-Robert Duffy AGM

Reviewed November 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a reunion with my family and it was awesome! I was greeted when we checked it by name and they new we were there to stay with our other family members. The rooms were very clean and housekeeping stopped by each day. The manager Robert was very accommodating and was extremely friendly. I loved we were right on the beach and loved the cafe that served Starbucks. Great place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Cindy B
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you for the lovely review of your stay with us last month! I am so happy to hear that our associates greeted you by name and were able to make your family feel comfortable and at home for your reunion. Our housekeepers do an excellent job of ensuring that our guests are taken care of during their stay, and our location on the boardwalk always makes a stay with us just a little sweeter! Please let us know when you are planning a return trip, we hope to see you again!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Stayed here November 1-3, 2013. Hotel was very crowed, but check in went smoothly. Rando Gaines was very courteous and efficient.Breakfast buffet was plentiful and wait staff (Maury) were super friendly and attentive. Even though place was very busy still took the time to take care of each guest. Had a minor problem with my door lock and the maintenance staff was there to fix it four minutes after I called in the problem.
Great location on the beach. Definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you for your review! I am glad to find out that you enjoyed your stay, found our associates to be helpful, and took advantage of our prime location on the boardwalk. Even into the fall and winter season, our hotel tends to stay quite busy depending on the different events that may be taking place. We enjoy giving our guests a personalized experience, and we hope to see you on your next trip to Virginia Beach.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

(Preface) I am an avid TA reviewer. I wont even stay one night at a hotel without checking out TA first. So with that said, I reviewed a lot of hotels before settling on Courtyard for my overnight stay. I booked ahead of time to snag a decent room. I requested a high room with ocean front view. Thats just what I got! A room on the top floor with an ocean view and king bed. Bed was comfy and clean; as was the rest of the room. Front desk staff were pleasant and checked me in early- very quickly and efficiently too. I had no issues whatsoever with noise from other guests, even though the hotel was booked. The only not- so- convenient occurrences were that the small parking lot quickly filled up. So upon returning to the hotel for the evening, I had to park across the street in the lot. No biggie. I also have a charge on hold from the hotel which I do not know why its being held on my card, as I paid in full in advance and left my room in decent condition and made no charges to my room. I will contact the hotel and find out why this charge is being made to my cc. Other than those things, my stay at the hotel was very pleasant. I will certainly return, so long as this issue is resolved with the charge to my card.

1  Thank shane1023
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Thank you for your feedback! I am pleased to learn that you found our rooms clean and comfortable, and our staff to be friendly and welcoming. The authorization that you may be seeing is likely due to our incidental policy. Any additional holds are typically released after up to 5 business days. If there is a hold on your funds, please call us at (757)491-6222 so that we may contact your bank. Thank you again for the positive review of your stay! Let us know when you are ready to make a return trip!

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Here the first weekend in November for the "Race for Breath" Lung Cancer fund raiser. Had a suite on the 4th floor with other family/team members. The suite had light switches that turned on nothing, you had to take at least 2 steps into the bathroom & 3 steps into the living room before you found a light switch that worked a light within that room. Took some searching to find the only channel guide in the suite with 2 TVs and it was on the desk in the living room, not with either TV. On the plus side, check-in was a breeze, Samatha greeted me with a smile and was super helpful. friendly and accomodating. Beds weren't bad with plenty of pillows to go around. Check out was also quick, easy and accomodating, allowing us a late checkout to attend the after race ceremony. Parking, to put it bluntly, sucked; the parking places are way to narrow with only a few inches between cars and only if everyone parked in the space evenly, and the lanes between are only wide enough for 1 car to pass thru. Also on the downside, their bar is in the lobby, in fact, when I first arrived in the lobby, I thought the bar was the check-in and it appeared that the business center was next to the bar; all of this being in a big open area. Breakfast was a $11.00 buffet that did include beverages, missing only orange juice, and for such a small area, served up a decent variety for breakfast and the waiter was working his tail off, not only working the tables but also helping keep the buffet stocked. Would I stay here again, not likely, find it hard to believe I can't get a better rate in November somewhere else just as close to the race sight. Atlantic Avenue is pretty much a ghost town and to be charging over $100 a night is pretty much price gouging as far as I'm concerned.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert D, Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a response regarding your stay with us. I am thrilled to hear that your check in experience was positive and efficient. And I am happy that we were able to extend your check out in order to make your stay even more accommodating. Your feedback is appreciated and will be passed on to the correct departments. I would like to apologize for any inconveniences that we may have been unable to assist with. Thank you again.

Robert Duffy AGM

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Just checked in to this hotel the parking lot is crowded the front desk was busy, but Charles was very courteous and professional. We checked into our room #315 which smells like cigarette smoke. We requested a non-smoking unit and asked for another room (guest in our party has asthma & I am getting sick from this smell), but we will have to downgrade from an oceanfront corner king suite w-a balcony to a standard double.(We are rewards members...wow!).We were advised that this was the last suite available. Will have to endure one night, but we are leaving in the morning. Sorry I won't stay here again. If I had known this would happen I would have stayed at the Marriott Newport News Town Center. Very dissapointed...smokers pls be courteous and smoke outside and not in non-smoking rooms that crap is so rude!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank JoyW221
ChristopherThiele, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

I’m sorry to hear that your room smelled of smoke when you checked in this past weekend. Our hotel is 100% non-smoking, but unfortunately not everyone follows the rules. As a hotel we try to actively monitor this and respond to all complaints quickly, although admittedly some do slip through the cracks. Thank you for identifying your room number in the review – I will ensure our housekeeping and engineers teams have resolved the issue for our future guests.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Will stay here again, and again. The AC/Heating units in the rooms are in need of renovations, a bit on the loud side. I do like that we have a refrigerator in our room. Great location in the heart of VB oceanfront.

Room Tip: Away from the elevators on a higher floor. My only real complaint is the AC/Heating units in the roo...