“Basic hotel on the beach” 3 of 5 bubbles

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South
Ranked #9 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Georgia
“Basic hotel on the beach”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Be careful what Courtyard you book. There are 2 on the Oceanfront. This can be confusing if you are not familiar with the oceanfront area. This specific Courtyard is the "south" courtyard. The hotel is nice compared to many other of the older hotels along the strip. This hotel is no doubt an older hotel that has been renovated. The staff is friendly and overall is clean. However the rooms smell and the bathrooms are in need of renovation. Every time I entered the room, there was an mildew smell. The light fixtures are old and the beds are terrible to the point you can feel the springs in them. In many ways, the rooms are what you would expect from a lower class hotel. For a beach front hotel though, this hotel is better than some of the others you can find. It is not at the same level as other Courtyards around the country.

Room Tip: All the rooms are oceanfront.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChristopherThiele, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on our hotel. We take pride in the overall appearance and comfort of our hotel, and I’m sorry to hear the guest room was not up to your standards. Our hotel, while being beachfront, just completed a full renovation a year ago, replacing the majority of the décor items, wall paper, carpet, etc. We also take steps to ensure that our rooms do not exhibit the “musty” smell of a typical beach hotel. Please contact me at (757) 417-6003 to I can review the room you stayed in and take steps to make sure the beds and musty smell are corrected.

Thanks for leaving feedback for us – we want to make sure every guest who stays with us has an enjoyable time and a great stay in Virginia Beach!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I am a Marriott Rewards Member. I have stayed at many Marriott properties around the world and I have never experienced the type of customer service that I experienced when I checked in to the Courtyard by Marriott Virginia Beach Oceanfront South this evening.

I had a 4pm reservation for a King Presidential Suite. I arrived at the hotel at 5:15 only to be informed that my room was not ready. Although the Front Office Supervisor, Charles [---], explained that there was a problem with the guest who had occupied the room before me that required additonal cleaning to remove the smell of smoke in the room, at no time was there an apology or an attempt to make me feel like my inconvenience mattered. I had driven over 4 hours to get to the hotel, arrived after the scheduled checkin, only to be told I'd have to wait atleast another half hour for my room. When it was pointed out that check in was at 4pm, the response was, "That doesn't mean the room will be ready." I felt as if the fact that I am a loyal customer and a client was of no matter. My fiance and I had traveled to celebrate his 50th birthday and looked forward to a pleasant stay. My fiance went in to speak to Mr. [---] after I told him that the room would not be ready and found Mr. [---] to be arrogant, dismissive and matter of fact. When my fiance asked to speak to a supervisor, Mr. [---]' was curt and arrogant, stating that he was the supervisor. My fiance again inquired as to why we had to wait for our room to be ready and Mr. [---] responded by saying, "I told her that I would call when the room was ready." His response was dismissive and disrespectful when referring to me. He indicated that he had no idea when the person before us had checked out and they were trying to get the smoke smell out.

At no time did he offer any compensation for our inconvenience. He did not offer to store our bags while we waited. He did not offer us a drink at the bar while we waited. The simplest thing would have been to offer an apology and not even that was extended. The disrespect shown to us was untenable. I have no words to describe how that 20 minute encounter set the tone for our entire stay.

Both my fiance and I hold positions that require that we interact with the public. If either of us had behaved in this fashion to our customers, we would not be employed. It is unconscientionable to think that in the hotel industry where customer service and customer loyalty is what brands like Marriott count on, that we would have been treated in such a manner. At this point, we are unsure if we will stay at another Marriott property in the future. If we had not driven so far to celebrate this special occasion, I do not believe we would be staying tonight.

Mr. [---] walked us to our room to ensure that the smell of the room was out of the room. Another opportunity to apologize was lost.

It is the responsibility of the manager to make guests feel like guests. Instead of making things easier for us, his attitude exacerbated the situation. Imagine if we had come in at 4pm! We would have to wait almost 2 hours to get into our room! Mr. [---] was apparently unconcerned about our inconvenience.

Although we loved the layout and spaciousness of the room, we found the room not to be up to our expectations. The carpets are stained. The balcony and the furniture on the balcony are dirty so we are unable to enjoy the wonderful view. The balcony windows are dirty, contain dead bugs, and there is what appears to be blood stains on the curtains.There is a dent in the wall that looked like someone tried to patch it, unsuccessfully, marring the overall appearance of the room.

Needless to say we are unhappy with our choice. The Presidential Suite is the highest level of accommodations in this hotel and we are disappointed in the room and the service we received. My attempt to make this a happy celebration has been thwarted by our first contact with your hotel employee and then with the room itself.

7 Thank LionKingMD
Thank you for contacting us in regards to the experience you had checking into our hotel. I'm sorry we were unable to get you checked into the room in a timely fashion, as well as for the poor customer service experience you had with our front desk staff. It's certainly not typical for our hotel, and I'm sorry you did not get the level of service that we normally deliver.

I’m grateful we had a chance to connect with you while you were still staying with us and trust that we were able to resolve everything to your satisfaction. Should you return to our hotel or to Virginia Beach, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly so I can personally ensure a problem-free stay for you.
Palmyra, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

We just left the Courtyard Marriott ocean front south on Saturday after being there for a week! We miss it already. We have been staying there for the past 4 years and are expectations are exceeded each time! The hotel is so clean which is very important to me. You would think a beach front hotel would have sand all over the lobby but not at this hotel! The staff keep the lobby spotless! Also, our room was cleaned every day by 9:00 a.m. Courtyard Marriott is in the heart of the oceanfront resort area. We park our car when we get there and don't touch it until it is time to go home! We can walk everywhere because of the location of this hotel. The best part of this hotel is the high caliber staff members! The are all extremely friendly and helpful. You cant walk through the lobby without staff telling you to have a good day or asking you how your day is going. My favorite staff member is the manager Rande Gaines. When I see Rande I know my vacation has officially begun. Rande is very friendly and helpful. He has a very charismatic personality that is so refreshing. He bends over backwards to make everyone's stay perfect! I love this place and cant wait to visit there again! Chris P

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of your stay with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the convenience of our location, proximity to restaurants and attractions, friendly staff members, and the quality and cleanliness of our building. Our entire staff works around the clock to ensure a fun, clean and relaxing stay here at Courtyard South. Rande enjoys engaging in conversation with our guests, and I am thrilled that you found him as entertaining as we do. Please let us know when you are planning a return visit, we would love to host you next year!

Samantha
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We loved getting up every day and getting breakfast from Shakeela! She was wonderful and super sweet! She became an awesome face to see everyday! Alice was also our maid! She was great, so kind and very patient for those of us who liked sleeping in! Anyways what a wonderful way to spend a few days, very relaxing atmosphere and everyone was so personable!!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank BethLawhead
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review of your stay! I am happy to learn that Shakeela was able to brighten your mornings, and that Alice was able to come back to refresh your room after a late morning start! We strive to make every guest feel comfortable, welcome and relaxed during their entire stay with us. Please let us know if you plan to return in the future, we would be happy to host your family again!

Samantha
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Staying there for work and you can't beat it. The location is great and right on the beach/ boardwalk. Sunrises are amazing while watching them from your private balcony. There are many places within walking distance. The rooms are clean and spacious. The hotel staff is super friendly and gave us great recommendations for places to eat! I would stay here again if in the area and not on business!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Samantha S, Front Desk Agent at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you the awesome review of our hotel! The Virginia Beach oceanfront is a great area to stay at on business, I am glad you have an appreciation for that. I hope that we were able to make you feel as if you were on vacation! The sunrises are phenomenal, I love being able to watch them each morning as well. Our staff members from every department enjoy recommending restaurants and attractions in the area for our guests. We hope to see you again, and on vacation this time! Thank you again for taking the time to leave us feedback on your stay with us.

-Samantha
Blue Springs, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed in the presidential suite, for two people in the room it was perfect. I enjoyed that I had to balancies one in the bedroom and one in the living area which was great to see the fireworks from. There were two closets, so enough space to put clothing and empty suitcases away. There was a microwave, frig, sink, cabinets, etc. Alice who cleaned the room was a delight and provided us with additonal items that we needed. Liked that the hotel was right on the boardwalk. We enjoyed the hotel room and the service.

2 Thank funinthesunkg
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review regarding your stay! I am thrilled to learn that you two enjoyed our Presidential Suite, and even got to view the fireworks. The double balcony and extra closet space can make all the difference! I am glad you were able to take advantage of it. Our housekeeping crew works hard to make sure that our guests have everything that they need, and more. Thank you again for your wonderful review, and please let us know when you plan to visit again.

-Samantha
orlando
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

This less than glowing review in no way reflects the professional and accommodating management and staff at this Virginia Beach Marriott. We were in the lovely city of Norfolk in July on business and decided to extend our stay to visit Virginia Beach. The Marriott Courtyard South was definitely not awful, but for a total cost of about $450 per weekend night (week nights are slightly less), for a small suite; I think Marriott could do a better job. This rate seems to be the norm for hotels in the area, so the cost is undoubtedly reflective of Virginia Beach hotels and not necessarily this Courtyard. There are no complementary benefits included in the rate; such as breakfast, bottled water, or parking. We had to call the very friendly and prompt housekeeping staff for the removal of the following: dirty sheets on the sofa bed, trash from previous guest, and a suspiciously stained shower curtain. The two full size beds were okay, but for this rate, queen beds seem appropriate. Linens and towels were old and worn, but otherwise clean. Furniture seemed outdated and tired as you would expect at a CHEAP beach motel. The room was clean, other than noted and fortunately did NOT have an unpleasant musty odor you sometimes experience at oceanfront properties. Although our room was oceanfront, the tiny balcony was only a yard deep and maybe three yards wide. These types of issues won't ruin a vacation, but were unexpected in a $450 per night room. The indoor pool area was stifling, which explains the lack of swimmers. There is no outdoor pool. I realize the location is considered prime, but although pleasant, Virginia Beach is in no way superior to many other beaches throughout the world; but at these prices, it would indicate otherwise. If you have the option of choosing another location for your beach vacation, I think I'd look elsewhere. If you are coming to Virginia Beach and don't mind spending more than $400 per night for a substandard hotel room, the Courtyard South is fine and you will enjoy the beach, restaurants, and boardwalk. I feel compelled to say that you might consider finding a less expensive hotel in Florida or the Caribbean with pristine beaches, crystal blue water, and a sparkling oceanfront pool for about half the cost...plus you might get some added amenities. The money you save in hotel costs would pay for airfare and perhaps a rental car. Regardless, we enjoyed Virginia Beach and Norfolk very much and while we probably won't be returning soon, we're definitely glad we visited.

Room Tip: Corner rooms facing ocean may be larger. Balconies are all small.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for leaving feedback on our hotel! I appreciate your input and views on the overall city of Virginia Beach as a destination area. One thing to mention for future visitors is that the City of Virginia Beach provides many complimentary entertainment events each evening for all visitors to enjoy. On any given night you can walk the streets of Atlantic Ave and take in many, many free events, including bands, small musical groups, jugglers, magicians, historic informational events, etc. The evening entertainment provides plenty of events that are perfect for a family or for couples who want to get out and experience all the fun stuff that a Virginia Beach vacation has to offer.

I appreciate the time to you took to leave a review on our hotel, and we hope to see you in the future.