“Bed bug outbreak”

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South
Ranked #23 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 27, 2012

The Board of health determined that this Marriot had bed bugs. My friend had to go to the emergency room. Marriot tried to deny it, and they probably will continue on that path. I saw her room and it was discusting. All of my belongings had to be thrown out or sprayed. When I returned home, I threw out my suitcase and many other items. I wish they would have been more proactive in giving me some compensation, such as paying for laundrey, etc. They did not! I was there on business (training) for 10 days. Because of this, I couldn't sleep........what a shame!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
13  Thank liketotravel41
Christopher T, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

I’m sorry to hear of your experience and regret that I did not have a chance to speak with you personally when you were here as I was out of town on business. However, another member of our management team spoke with you during your stay, and the follow up report you requested from the board of health would have confirmed that no bedbugs were found in your room. It’s my commitment that every guest who stays with us has an enjoyable stay, and I would encourage you to reach out to me directly at the hotel phone number if you feel we overlooked something.

The public perception of our hotel, especially on TripAdvisor, is very important to me, as is the accuracy of the information and how our hotel is portrayed to future travelers. As you can see from reading the many other great reviews on our site, our hotel has a long standing commitment and history of providing clean, comfortable guest rooms, a friendly staff, and making our travelers feel at home. I regret that you feel we did not provide this to you, and am always available should you wish to discuss further.

Christopher Thiele
757-491-6222 x 6003

Reviewed December 23, 2012

This is a great courtyard marriott. I was with a group of friends and we had two one bedroom suites. The rooms were nice and very clean, the beds were relatively comfortable, the hotel employees were very friendly. The view of the ocean was great. If I need a hotel at the ocean front in Virginia Beach again, I would likely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 3, 2012

How is it possible to stay at a large hotel and during that stay have just a ten minute chat with the manager and then a year and a half later when you come back one late afternoon that same manager comes up and greets you by name as you are getting out of your car? Well, if the hotel is the Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South and the manager is Chris Thiele that is exactly what can happen.

I mentioned in my previous review of this hotel about how well managed this hotel was and that has not changed one bit. The hotel has had a complete refresh since my last visit and our rooms were modern and immaculate. All of the staff were extremely friendly and as I noticed during my last visit, they were 'happy'. They really seemed to enjoy doing their jobs and were totally oriented towards making sure we had everything we needed and would enjoy our stay. With both Gold HHonors and Gold Marriott Rewards I've stayed in quite a few hotels this past year and I can honestly say that I have not seen a better trained or more personable staff. One feels at home within moments. That is a direct reflection on the management.

Now on to some room info and our experience there.

On our last visit we stayed in the Presidential Suite which is a large two room suite located in the center of the hotel. Both rooms are oceanfront and both have balconies. This visit we wanted to try the one bedroom suite on the corner. We had come up to Virginia Beach to enjoy the Holiday Lights on the beach and boardwalk and thought the window on the side of the building would allow us to look down the beach without having to go out on the balcony. Well, it certainly did that even though we enjoyed the balcony as well.

This suite is HUGE. Upon entering the suite you are in a mini hallway. To the left is the room with the sofa bed, desk, dining table and bar with sink, fridge and microwave. The fridge is a mid size one (not the really small one). And then of course there is the balcony overlooking the beach and ocean. The sliding glass door has what appears to be an extra lock that would certainly keep a small child from going out on there own.

If you go to the right when you come in the door there is a large bedroom (we had the king). What really surprised us was that the suite goes from the front of the hotel to the back, the only rooms in the hotel to do so. All the other rooms have just the oceanfront view. So, we not only had a large window overlooking the Atlantic in the sitting room but also a window overlooking Atlantic Ave in the bedroom (which was great as Va Beach had their Christmas parade that night). And there was yet another large window on the side in the bedroom with a beautiful view of Va Beach.

Speaking of the side windows, I'm not sure if the hotel has these corner suites on both ends of the hotel but I would certainly suggest asking for a room on the southeast end of the hotel. Rather than having another hotel right next door there is one of the small parks instead which creates a nice buffer and makes the view really great. On the other side of the park is the Days Inn which is a shorter hotel and the only windows on its side facing the Courtyard are the windows in the stairwell, so even with having all the windows and views you still feel like you have your privacy. All the windows really open up the suite and makes it seem really spacious.

One of the things we liked about the floor plan was that there is both an entrance from the hallway and from the bedroom to the bathroom, so even if anyone was sleeping on the sofa bed in the sitting room then everyone could still have complete privacy during the night. The bathroom was actually two rooms. One with the shower and toilet and the other with the sinks. The bathroom did have a fan which is always appreciated. The shower had nice pressure and the water was hot. I did find the water controls to be rather clumsy in the shower/tub. It was difficult to fine tune the water temperature while in the shower.

There is a closet in the bedroom and also the hallway. Well thought out. Both rooms have plenty of storage space if someone is staying for a week or so. The bar area has plenty of cabinets and even though the cabinets were all empty (no plates, silverware, glasses, etc) there was a note in one of the cabinets saying that if we did need some item to let them know and they would try to accommodate us. Nice touch.

This Courtyard has free wifi throughout the hotel. We were on the 10th floor and both my laptop and phone maxed out on the signal strength. There was no problem or hesitation streaming Netflix or Amazon Instant Video. The TV has easy access to the rear panel for hooking up games or in my case, Push2TV, so that we could watch our streaming movies on the TV screen rather than the laptop. I did have trouble changing the input using the TV remote but the controls on the side of the TV had an input button that easily did the trick.

The hotel is well maintained and quiet even though they seemed pretty full for the first weekend in December based on the parking lot.. We heard absolutely no neighbors or any noise once we were in our suite.

All in all a great visit. There just isn't another hotel or chain I would consider while staying in Va Beach. You know it's a great place with great people when you find yourself hating to have to leave the next morning.

~14 room pics included with this review. Hopefully TA will load them all.

Room Tip: Southeast corner suite cannot be beat!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RMH27707

Thanks for the great comments and all the helpful information you posted for future travelers. And I’m thrilled our hotel made such a good impression on your first trip that you decided to stay with us again when returning to the area. It’s our pleasure to take care of the guests who stay with us and make sure they leave having a great experience, and I’m happy we were able to do that for you!

Chris

Reviewed December 1, 2012

First time in the area for a weekend get-away. Very convenient to highway, great restaurants, and shopping. Reasonably clean room with a variety of amenities. Cafe features average food that is slightly overpriced. Hotel and cafe staff were prompt, friendly, and knowledgeable. Looking forward to coming back.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the Oceanfront/South Courtyard for a few days at the beach. The hotel is in a great location with eacy access to the interstate. The lobby has had the "Courtyard refresh" with the modern check-in desk, coffee/bar area and restaurant with limited menu. We stayed in a two room suite that was adequately furnished with with plenty of room. We enjoyed the two balconies with outstanding ocean views and overlooking the boardwalk. The hotel is located on the boardwalk and there were numerous restaurants and bars within an easy walk. Ovearll the hotel was clean, well maintained and the staff were attentive and courteous.
Parking at the hotel is somewhat limited, but they do have a gated parking garage directly across the street.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Christopher T, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

Thank you for the nice comments about our hotel! I'm glad you enjoyed our amenities and I'm happy to hear our staff was able to take care of you. One the nice features of our hotel is its central location, right in the middle of Beach Street USA. There’s excellent dining and attractions right outside the hotel, and I’m happy you were able to take advantage of some of those.

Thanks for staying with us, and I hope to see you on a future trip to our area!

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here in August 2012. Having never been to VA Beach before I didn't know what to expect. I have had terrible experiences with beachfront hotels in Daytona. Hotel was in a great location, walking distance to everything and perfect spot beachfront on boardwalk to get on a bike and explore. Must do the bikes! Beach was good here too, my kids loved the waves perfect for body boards. The hotel was clean, elevators took a little though not enough in my opinion but not too bad either. Room was clean, standard size, i would say a 3.5 star hotel, nothing luxurious enough to give it a 4 or 5 but for beachfront hotels on the atlantic this was very good. No bed bugs, and staff was exceptional! Everyone i encountered at the front desk really went our of their way to be friendly and accommodating. There was plenty to do day and each evening and thelocation of this hotel put you right in the middle of it... the north hotel would have required a bit of a walk to put you where the action was. Never had a problem with noise and sleeping, even when opening the sliders to hear the waves. You can't go wrong with this hotel. I only saw two others that I may have considered, this one was way better than all the rest. We will return.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Bikinibabi

Thanks for the great comments about our hotel! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. The bike rentals are a great feature for our guests in the warmer weather, and can be rented at a shop directly across from our hotel. The entire Virginia Beach boardwalk is 3.1 miles long, and we are located at mile 1.5, so you have great sightseeing options if you head north or south of the hotel. And of course, the beach is right at your doorstep.

I’ll be sure to pass your comments on to our staff and let them know you enjoyed your stay. Thanks so much for staying with us!!!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I'm a big Courtyard fan and this location is nice until you look close. My biggest issue is the bathroom safey. I fell because the bathmat slipped. I knocked my head hard enough to have to stay up half the night (wasn't going to the ER because I did not passout). Since I had been drinking earlier in the evening I did not report, but we were unable to do anything else while there because of the pain. A little TLC - stain pen for the headboard, hot water (without 5-7 minute wait), balconey door needs WD40.

Wait staff Wendy-EXCELLENT! They need more of her and she needs a raise.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are not as pictured and request for high floor, and extra pillows not completed.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple