“Great Getaway in Virginia Beach!”

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South
Ranked #10 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Great Getaway in Virginia Beach!”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

This was our first stay in this hotel and in Virginia Beach. From check-in to check-out the staff were very helpful, friendly and professional. It's tough at a beachfront hotel with indoor pool to keep everything clean and dry, but these folks did a great job.
We opted for a corner suite as it was our wedding anniversary--wonderfully relaxing but also very expensive! The maid service was attentive and thorough. Great view of the ocean, beach, boardwalk and the Naval Aviation Museum next to the hotel.
The Bistro served a nice hot and cold buffet breakfast. Options are limited if you eat dinner here.
Valet service is free and the attendants quick and reliable.
Front desk personnel gave us good recommendations for our anniversary dinner, and made the reservation for us, and confirmed by voicemail to our room that reservation was made.
All in all, a very good stay here--we'll return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SharpShoey
, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Thank you for your warm review. Our staff takes pride in serving our guest and making their stay enjoyable. I will share this review with our front office and housekeeping staff for a job well done. We are pleased to hear you will return and will be looking forward to seeing you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel every year for 10 years. Amazingly, this hotel does not have record of any of our stays. We have always been fond of this hotel which is why we return year after year. I even wrote a fantastic review about this hotel a couple of years ago. This was an amazing hotel as we have never had issues, until now. Unfortunately our stay this time was not so pleasant and the hotel clerk on duty was not accomodating. We called the front desk to ask why were we placed in a king suite where one room faces the street and the other faces the oceanfront. The hotel clerk at the front desk advised me that the king suites are all located on the corner and that this hotel does not have oceanfront balconies in both rooms (i.e.bedroom & sitting area). So we get into a disagreement about the hotel setup. I immediately get upset because I know this hotel has king/double bedroom suites where both the bedroom and sitting area have oceanfront views. That said, I asked to be moved to such a room and was told that the room I am requesting did not exist. And if I wanted such a room I would have to upgrade to the Executive Suite. I know the difference and feel at this point that the desk clerk is trying to milk more money out of us. And quickly realized she was not going to fess up and give us the room we paid for. With that I ask for a Supervisor or Manager and was told a Supervisor or Manager was not on staff working. But would have the General Manager call me the next day (Monday, June 11, 2012). Not satisfied with that response I called Marriott Customer Care and explained the situation. Customer care then conference in the hotel to speak to the culprit. She answers and before anyone could say anything blurts out "I tried calling your hotel room and no one answered," "we are going to upgrade your room at no extra charge to the Executive Suite." I said well ok, Customer Care then hangs up the phone. I remain on the line with the hotel clerk for a few minutes only to be told. I am sorry. I thought I would be able to offer you the Executive Suite., not anymore. "Not much I can do for you but will offer you free breaksfast for the two days while you are here." I graciously accepted but was still uneasy. By the way still waiting on that call from the general manager. Was forced to stay in the corner room that I disliked. I never thought I would feel this way about Courtyard Marriott that have always treated us so well. The room we were forced to sleep in made my stay very uncomfortable. Can't say I will return to this hotel as it is quite obvious our loyalty is/was not appreciated.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
16 Thank luv2trvl94
, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to review our hotel. I apologize that your experience was less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. We are working on our front desk training as we do have Center King Suites which we call Presidential's that have the bedroom and living room overlooking the beach.

Please feel free to contact the hotel for any further assistance!
Montpelier Station, Virginia
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Beautiful hotel however,upon arrival were not greeted instead waited for clerk to get off phone to ck in, who acted as if we were an inconvenience. Toilet ran all night/day, then would'nt flush had to have maint replace while there. Wow-No microwave(for a $200+ night rm). Only had 1 chair on balcony, had to ask to get another. Indoor pool had no life guard, had to leave due to excessive horsing around, obnoxious behavior going on & my youngest was almost hurt by adults behaving like wild monkees. When maid svc came they propped our door open with latch & forgot it(we came back after several hrs to our room door open & things unsecured) Finally, A/C took forever to cool room down, it was hard to get comfortable!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor, seemed to be less noisey, especially at night when people are still out...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank hwhitehead
ejrvab, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Thank you for your comments. Your feedback helps us improve our service and your experience. I have discussed your concerns with my staff and changes are being made. Thank you again
Pittsburgh
Reviewed May 31, 2012

My husband and I visited Virginia Beach and we stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. I had internet connection issues almost every day. No paper delivery by the door. The restuarant/Bistro, well, really didn't do us any good. This resturant is not always open, the bar is not always open. It's very small and close to the lobby. The menu is very, very limited. You really have to go outside to get a good meal. The overnite room is very, very nice. We had a 1 bed. suite. The balcony is in the living room and is very, very nice. The bathroom and bedroom are very nice. Lots of floor space. Our room card didn't work twice during our stay, so the front desk had to reset it. That was a little disturbing. We did have dry cleaning service, which was very convenient. The front desk people are nice and very helpful in every way. The water pressure in the shower is not real strong, but we had hot water every day. Nice flat screen tv's in each room. Hotel is very, very nice, if you don't have a lot of needs.

Room Tip: Not the best restaurant in this hotel. Don't expect much.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MSMPittsburgh
Thank you for your review. The internet problem has been addressed and our bandwidth will be expanded dramatically in the next week or so. Thanks again for your help.
Newport News, VA
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed here for a last minute weekend getaway. We are local to Hampton Roads, so we did not drive far. Love the oceanfront rooms and balcony. We were very disappointed that upon arriving we could not change our room from 2 double beds to one queen or king as they were all booked up. We stayed on points, though, so you can't win them all! Location was great, close to EVERYTHING...lots of cool local joints and far enough from the crazy party area of the strip. The sound of the ocean waves certainly make for an excellent night's sleep!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lilkate07
I am so glad that you found our hotel to your liking. I wish we could have upgraded you for this stay. We often upgrade Rewards members, so give a try the next time you are in the area and ask for the General Manager and I will see what I can do. Thanks again
Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 4, 2012 via mobile

Luke warm shower. Seriously the shower was lukewarm! room smells like pesticide. No working outlets by the nightstands to charge a cell phone. bright spot was Dawn our cleaning lady, super nice.

• Stayed May 2012
4 Thank Traveleman
ejrvab, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Thank so much for your comments. The hot water issue has been resolved and the rennovation complete! Life is great at the Beach!! Your comments help us improve, thank you

Ed Rapp
Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We recently stayed at this Mariott Courtyard in Virginia Beach. It was a very pleasurable stay. Staff was extremely professional and polite. We had an Ocean front View - it was beautiful. The bed faced the sliding glass doors - so you awoke to the beatiful ocean view. Rooms were clean and modern. They also give a "government" discount, for anyone working for the governement, local, federal or military. That was an extra bonus for us. I would recommend staying here - and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ocean Front is a must!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anita W
, Front Office Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed the view. In our king rooms, the bed faces the balcony so you can awake to the beautiful ocean. We look forward to your return and thank you again.