“A nice stay with a few disappointments.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South
Ranked #9 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Pennsylvania
“A nice stay with a few disappointments.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2007

After doing quite a bit of research, we decided to try out Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South. We wanted a suite, but the biggest problem was finding a place with a separate bedroom (with a door) so I could escape if my husband's snoring got too loud) ! Most of the other suites we checked into had a large room with a half wall or a bedroom that was separate but had no door (who came up with that idea?)

We arrived and pulled in front of the hotel and I was immediately impressed with the exterior of the building. I went inside to register while my husband grabbed a cart and began unloading our stuff. Check-in was easy and the girl at the counter was very nice. But we were a little disappointed that they didn't have anyone to help us with our luggage. Besides that, the carts had nowhere to hang items, so everything had to be piled on top of each other. We ended up with stuff falling on the floor as we pushed the cart to the elevator.

They had given us a choice of the floor we wanted, either 5, 8, 10 or 11. There is only one Presidential Suite on each of the floors, so we decided to take the 8th floor. We rode up the elevator and headed for the room. As soon as we opened the door, I was excited to see the ocean through the sliding glass doors at the end of the living room. Meanwhile, my husband immediately pointed out the torn rug inside the kitchen. It seemed the seam of the carpet had worn away to the point where it was now separated and shredded.

Not about to let a little torn carpet bother me, I excitedly opened the sliding glass doors and sat on our balcony staring at the ocean. After a few minutes, I returned to unpack and immediately noticed the refrigerator was very small. Since this hotel did not include a free breakfast, we intended to make our own each morning. Now I wondered if we would fit eggs, milk and bacon in this refrigerator along with the lunchmeat we were planning to buy for sandwiches.

Moving along, I checked out the drawers and realized there was no silverware in them. Not one fork, spoon or knife! There also was no toaster and the coffeemaker was a 4-cup. It became apparent that we would not be eating toast with breakfast and that I would have to buy some plastic forks and spoons. (I asked the desk clerk about the toaster and he said they didn't want to take chances on "fire" in the rooms, so that is why there was no toaster. That's interesting considering the Residence Inns and Springhill Suites are owned by Marriott and they allow toasters, ovens and stoves!) The clerk also told me I could make toast in their restaurant and carry it upstairs each day....uh, no thanks.

I began to unpack and hang my clothing. When I went to close the closet door, it came apart in my hand. I thought I pulled too hard and broke it, but when my husband checked it, he fixed it and said it apparently had been that way for a while.

I have to agree with the other posters regarding the refrigerator - at first it wouldn't get cold enough and then it go too cold and froze our milk.

The suite was spacious and very clean. I liked that there was a separate sink area outside of the bathroom, so I could do my hair while hubby was showering.

I didn't like that there was no way to hook up the DVD player we brought with us, with the intention of relaxing and watching movies. The TVs were not set up for that.

One night we decided to check out their happy hour - Margaritas were $3 each. We went to the bar and I asked for a Margarita, but the girl said they were out of lime juice. The manager was going to get some, but meanwhile she offered to make me a different drink. The happy hour sign said they offered "well drinks" for $3 also, so I said I would take a well drink. She stared at me blankly and asked what that meant. One of the other patrons explained that it was anything with vodka, whisky, gin, etc. I said I would take a whiskey sour and she admitted she did not know how to make it, that this was her first day there and she had never bartended before! Someone suggested there might be a mix somewhere in the bar area, so she looked and found a contained in the refrig. A patron offered to taste it, but it ended up just being OJ. I gave up and asked for a gin and grapefruit juice. She was able to make that, but she then charged me $5.50 instead of the $3 happy hour special. Needless to say, we found another place nearby when we wanted a drink.

The pool did look dirty and as if it had a film on it, so for the first few days I did not go in. But I checked pools in other hotels and they all looked the same, so I began to wonder if it was the water in the area. Besides, the maintenance log showed the pool had the proper chemicals and was checked daily. So I braved it and went in and had a nice time. I saw other patrons swimming in it as well.

Although it seems we had a lot of complaints, all-in-all, we enjoyed our stay. The view from the balcony was beautiful and the suite was one of the biggest I have ever stayed in. The employees were friendly and helpful, and the room was quiet.

I doubt I would stay at this particular hotel again though. If I am going to pay $179 a night for a suite, I would like to get a toaster at least! And the rug should not be falling apart! There are plenty of suites in Virginia Beach, so next time I will pack some earplugs to drown out hubby's snores and find a better place.

• Liked — The view from the balcony.
  • Disliked — No toaster, no utensils, small refrigerator and small coffeemaker.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank LooneyIAm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2007

I stayed here with my two teenage daughters for a mom/daughter get away. I searched online for a hotel on the beach, but most were just simply too expensive. Then I was pleasantly surprised to find this hotel at a price that I could afford. So I did my next step and checked tripadvisor and then made my decision that I would book this hotel. Upon check in, which I arrived quite early - around 11:45am - they didn't have a room for me, which I totally understood, but what they did was take my cell phone number and called me when it was ready - we were already enjoying the beach so early on our trip. They have a bathroom in the lobby area that you can change into, if needed. There were no parking spots left by the hotel (they also have complimentary valet or you can park it yourself at a parking garage a block or two away - I used valet once). I was first greeted by Julio at the valet desk - he was quite welcoming (if you have a chance to meet him - you will feel like you have known him for years - he has awesome customer service). Since there were not parking spots left in front of the hotel, I was so pleased when the front desk clerk, Cheryl, offered to have Julio move her van since she was leaving in 15 minutes so that I could park in the close lot. The room was nice and large with a sliding glass door to the patio - oh my - I just loved our view from the 10th floor - I didn't want to leave. The beds were comfortable - internet connection worked great all thru the hotel. Coffee maker in the room was nice. The only negative would be the refrigerator froze the milk that we bought for my daughter, so I ended up just using our ice chest for our drinks that we would normally put in the refrigerator. I would definately stay at this hotel again - and recommend it to anyone to asks.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank travelbuddies4
centreville vriginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2007

ok it is true the pool and hot tube being not clean but everything else is great. They do need to work on keeping it clean, my children was very upset about that. The staff was wonderful with our 3 smalll children. Breakfast was great but expensive. To get a good deal you should go where the local goes to and that is Beach Pub down on Laskin rd which is 3 mins drive from the beach. The rooms was clean but don't try to put anything in the refrig it will freeze. The beds was soft and the view was perfect! The hotel is at a good location not too far from anything. Don't bother with dinner it was not good. We did tried a great itialian restrurant once again at Laskin rd called Bella de italian. All the local goes there and the food is worth your money. You do have to make reservation. Overall we like the hotel and would stay here again next time.

Stayed June 2007
3 Thank purplepassion3
Long Island, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2007

My family just stayed at the Courtyard on 25th street and I have to say we had a great experience. Pretty much our entire stay went flawlessly with a couple of minor faults, which I will get to.

We had just driven about 10 hours from New York and we arrived at the hotel at 9:00 pm ( there are 2 of these hotels on Atlantic Ave. so be careful). We were greeted by complimentary valet parking - a welcome sight for weary travelers since parking is pretty tight along the beach and the last thing I wanted to do was to hunt down a parking spot. I had pre-requested a crib for our 1 year old daugther which was waiting for us in our room ( it's actually a Pack-N-Play, not a porta-crib). Our room was large and had plenty of space for all of our daugher's things and for her to play. Every room has an awesome view of the beach and they all have a fairly wide balcony to sit out on. Our room was located on the 3rd floor and we couldn't hear a sound from outside once the sliding glass doors were shut. I had no trouble hooking my laptop up to the wireless internet service in the room and had maintained a fast download speed throughout the connection.

The restaurant downstairs offers an all you can eat breafast for a reasonable price. They have chefs to freshly prepare any omelette of your choosing, as well as pancakes, french toast and waffles. They also have free coffee and tea service 24 hours a day.

There were a couple of negative aspects about the hotel though. For one, the hotel needs to add additional elevators, there's only 2 on the property. There were times that we waited for over 5 minutes for one, and the day we checked out was the worst, over 10 minutes, it's a very busy hotel. This will probably sound humorous to some people, but the other problem I had was with the location of the toilet paper holder. For some reason, it's not to your side, but behind you and is very difficult to reach.

Other than those couple of things, our stay was great and would definitely recommend this hotel to those planning on staying at the beach.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank chunkylover54
Yorktown, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2007

We stayed at this hotel May 23-26 with a 5 year old.

The room was very nice and clean. Beds were comfortable. TV had plenty of kid channels which suited my child right before bedtime. The mini-fridge was convenient but too cold and froze everything in there. Could not turn it down ourselves. The rooms face the ocean and that was great! Great location. Breakfast buffet is pricey but tasty. Staff in the restaurant were very accomodating and efficient. Two downsides: the pool/jacuzzi area was not very clean. I reported it twice and the pool was finally cleaned but the jacuzzi was green and too hot. My legs even got burned! Second, my car was scratched with valet parking service. I reported it but knew I would hear, "we are not responsible since that could have been done by another car...blaa, blaa" although I knew that it was done while it was being driven. You could tell by the scratch. Overall, a good stay, but I think you could get a room just as nice for a bit cheaper.

• Liked — Nicely appointed, clean rooms.
  • Disliked — Pool/Jacuzzi
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank yannazmom
MILLERSVILLE
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2007

In April 2007 I decided that I need a small vacation after days of searching for hotels I came across the courtyard Marriott in Virginia Beach. After much research of other hotels I was impressed with the pictures on the website still a little apprehensive about reserving the hotel I took a chance and did it anyway. We arrived about ½ hour early and were greeted by the friendly staff that was very pleasant and professional The lobby had an excellent view of the beach I was actually watching the waves as they hit the beach. The indoor pool was very inviting it was clean and stock very well with towels for the guest. The smell of the chlorine was a plus I know that the pool was being cleaned and properly treated with chemicals. We were able to get a room on the 10th floor that had a wonderful, yet romantic view of the beach each and every morning we were greeted by a beautiful sunrise. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. We had a Jacuzzi suite that was an added bonus and very relaxing after a day on the boardwalk. The only negative thing that I experienced was when I had reserved the room online I wanted to book it for 4 days and it only reserved it for 3 days. After I noticed that it didn’t reserve it for the number of days that I wanted I notified the front desk and requested another day in that room, I was informed that I had to move to another room , however I could check in periodically to see if someone cancelled their stay for the room we were in. I had check back on several occasions and over heard other staff members making arrangements to move guest around so they could keep their rooms, after hearing this being done a second time and bringing it to the attention of the front desk. I was told that they would do that for other rooms and not the type of room we were in. I stated to front desk person I was there when I over heard the front desk making the arrangements and ask the guest what room they were in and they stated a Jacuzzi suite. To make a long story short I went back and fourth with the staff for several minutes and finally gave up. We were moved to a Double suite not with Jacuzzi tub, however still with a beautiful view of the beach. My over all experience was a wonderful and relaxing one. I would definitely check into this hotel again as long as I double check my reservations to insure that they have the room I want for the numbers of days I will be staying.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RIZZYOH
rachelinman, Assistant General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Oceanfront/South, responded to this review, May 9, 2007
The Courtyard Oceanfront South has recently appointed new management, myself included. Our innovative purpose and high aspirations will make your next stay at the Courtyard Oceanfront South a remarkable experience. We look forward to exceeding your expectations.
~Rachel Inman