“Average Courtyard Marriott”

Courtyard Virginia Beach Norfolk
Ranked #53 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed March 29, 2010

When we checked in, the front desk clerk, Stephanie, was the nicest desk clerk I have ever encountered. She was friendly, efficient, and helpful. The lobby is very nice, bright, and clean.

My room was not as nice as the lobby or customer service. It was quiet and spacious, but there were two main problems:

1) The thermostat never worked properly. Even when I set it to 65, the actual temperature never got below 72. When I brought this up to the front desk clerk on the morning I checked out, he said "well, it's supposed to cool off today." I replied that maybe he should have maintenance look at it since the next guest might complain.

2) The bathroom was not clean when I checked in, nor was it really cleaned during my stay. The same hairs on the floor and on the shower wall were still in their exact same places the next day after my room had been serviced. I thought that was really gross. Apparently the cleaning staff only put new towels on the rack and did not scrub anything.

Other than that, the hotel was fine. The gym was adequate and the pool area looked nice. Breakfast was very nice and the attendant was very friendly and efficient. I probably should have changed rooms, but it didn't seem worth it for just two days.

I will probably try another hotel for my next business trip to the area, but I would stay here again if necessary.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed July 21, 2008

I have found with these reviews that it is the little things that make or break a stay. Overall, our stay was fine- especially since we landed a pretty good price in the 80's a night. If I was paying the going rate those nights at $150, I would be ticked.

The Good:

-Courteous staff
-Clean room
-Comfy bed (the usual Marriott feel)
-Good value so close to the beach (for the $80 price range-obtained because of being a Marriott rewards member and this hotel's summer offer of 25% off)
-Great location- 15 mins from beach, 10 to the Va beach town center (all the restaurants you could want), 15 to MacArthur Center Mall and downtown Norfolk, 15 mins from Greenbrier shopping and eating areas.

The Little Things (the bad)

-Internet was down for the first 24 hours of our stay. bummer because we needed it since we were there doing business. From what I understand it was an upgrade to the system, so it isn't a typical problem, but wish I would have known before hand.

-Trash can- we only had one in our room, not that big of a deal, but a little annoying. When we requested one Friday, they said they'd get on it. They didn't. When we requested one again Saturday it took a while before anyone knew what was going on.

-Pillows- if you like pillows with any support, bring your own. when I called down for extra-firm pillows, or some type of alternative, the woman kinda snickered and basically told me what you see is what you get. That was a little annoying to me since the Marriott Rewards site has an option to put your pillow preference- the double stuffed being an option. Guess all the employees don't know this fact.

-Hot tub was down all weekend.

These things (barring the internet) are indeed little but indicative of some of the issues this particular courtyard has. They would keep me from coming to this marriott at the full price, but would return if it was value priced. Not the worst, not the best.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank antsmarching1405
Reviewed June 11, 2008

Me,my husband and our 4 yr old stayed here for 6 nights, we had a great time, the location was good just 15 minutes from the beach, malls and restaurants near by as well,(if you need a fridge you have to request one), the hotel experience was great, after reading some reviews I was a little nervous about staying here but I'm glad I did, hotel is very clean(except pool needs a lil' cleaning) I recommend this hotel and I will definetly stay here again, we didnt eat here but the restaurant onsite is only open to 10am, they do have a small area with sandwiches and snack open 24hrs.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2008

I stayed here for a business trip and it wasn't the nicest place especially for a Courtyard, my biggest peeves were A. there was no hair dryer, what kind of hotel doesn't have a hairdryer in 2008, and B. they charged way too much on my credit card so I had to call and get it fixed. I wont be staying here again. I will be parking up in the Springhill Suites right off 264.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank ladylump
Reviewed March 11, 2008

Spent 3 nights here this past weekend. Got a great rate of $59 per night, WITH breakfast! Too bad that was the end of the good!

First, we got lousy directions. Then, we got upgraded to a suite (GREAT-as we should be, due to my Marriott status!) BUT the suite was in need of some repair. The lamp in the bedroom was not working properly, some of the fixtures in the bathroom were not properly installed, the shower diverter did not fully work, the toilet was slow to flush and there was some mold (ick?) in the mini-fridge!

Breakfast was a mess as well. The food was always empty, the dishes were dirty and the service, while friendly, was pretty bad. In the hotel's defense, tow cooks quit in two days. Plus, they have a new GM who has only been at the hotel for 2 weeks! Not good.....and most of the problems have been ongoing...things don't break or get dirty that fast. There is a real need for training here!

Location wise, the hotel is about 10 minutes from Portsmouth and Norfolk and maybe 20 minutes from Va Beach and various Naval stations, so that is a good point.

The associates were very friendly, despite some overall lack of knowledge on their parts. I was overcharged by $80 per night since when they upgraded me, no one adjusted the rate back down! And their so-called security guard is a waste of money! All he does is lean on the front desk all night eating chips and drinking soda. He wouldn't make a group of 10 teens get out of the lobby/business center at 11:30 in the evening!

All in all the place is NOT a dump.....it just needs some TLC! I would personally choose another hotel, but if you get a decent rate and won't be spending much time in the room (we were attending a dog show in Portsmouth) you will be fine.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank cruisermeg
Reviewed February 13, 2008

Read the reviews - here on business - not looking for anything fancy. Apparently they have changed from being a business hotel to P-A-R-T-A-Y central. At 12 MIDNIGHT a man with two women on his arm checked into the adjoining room next to me - loud obnoxious and ready to have F-U-N!! Took two calls to security and a threat to call the Virginia Beach police to get them to get him to be quiet. I dont know if they ever moved him. Its my experience that once the hookers move in - it no longer is a safe place to stay. I would strongly advise all business women to avoid this place. Hookers equal drugs and std's. It wasnt the cleanest looking but the sheets looked okay. This is only the second time I've stayed in a courtyard in the last year and I have to say - they are going downhill rapidly. I used to be a regular at the courtyards but now go to the Springhill Suites or the Hilton Garden Inn. I'm on the road about 120 nights per year rarely find anything to complain about BUT wanted to warn any female travelers to stay away from this place!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Chicagohappy1
Reviewed January 2, 2008

I stayed here in July of 2007 on the way to the Outer Banks. It is a very typical Courtyard in room size, lobby size, and continental breakfast. The front desk were very helpful and friendly. For the most part, the hotel was clean. The rooms were fairly big, beds as always were extremely comfortable. Average bathrooms. We did visit the pool at night and were pleasantly surprised by its size. The pool area is enclosed by the hotel and is actually very pretty and pleasant. The continental breakfast was good with a terrific selection.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family