“Clean, treated fairly.”

Ranked #57 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Newport News, Virginia
“Clean, treated fairly.”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Did a local overnight here to go to the theater without the hassle of a long drive late at night. Room was very clean, comfortable and quiet. However, the fridge was missing from the room, which we were expecting. Management was informed and they tried to find a replacement, but none was available. Without making any demands, I was offered a credit of 5000 point for my inconvenience, which seemed more than fair. We made due with an ice bucket and had a great night. Staff was all very friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer T, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Norfolk, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We do not currently have refrigerators in all of our guest rooms at this time, but we have been working towards getting enough! We try our best to honor all requests, unfortunately it sounds like we were unable to deliver this time. I'm sorry that we were not able to get one provided for you during your stay.
I hope that this does not affect your decision to give us a try if you are in the area again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Virginia
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I just returned from a short trip down to Virginia Beach and stayed at this hotel. I am very happy with this choice of hotel, as I was looking for some place quiet, away from the noisy beach hotels. The front desk staff, restaurant staff and security personnel treated me like gold - they couldn't have been nicer, friendlier or more accommodating. As I did not have a car (I took the Amtrak down to the Norfolk stop from Alexandria), they helped me out with info on buses, cabs, etc. for getting to the beach. My room was nice and clean, bed was super firm and I slept like a rock. Pool was great, lots of seating, and there's a nice courtyard area where you can sit and relax (and get free wifi). The restaurant serves breakfast and dinner, which worked well for me, as there isn't much in the way of restaurants to walk to. If you go to Virginia Beach by car, I'd definitely recommend this place if you're looking for a clean, quiet hotel. It's a little expensive getting to the oceanfront by cab ($35 one way) and it's only a 15- minute drive to the beach. I really enjoyed my stay here - the staff made me feel welcomed the whole time I was there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank starcitygal
Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate your kind words and hope that if your travels bring you back to the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area that we will see you back here at the Courtyard!
Washington, DC
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Very nice, clean and updated Marriott Courtyard Hotel. Staff were friendly and very helpful during check-in, providing directions and even getting ice for our cooler. The hotel seems to be used to accommodating families who are visiting for weekend sports tournaments and they do a great job. These teams can be unruly at times, but the hotel handled this wonderfully. It was generally quiet and the hallways and lobby area were always very clean. We will encourage our team mom to choose this property again next time we are in Virginia Beach for a competition.

One thing of note: Room A/C was noisy...becomes white noise after awhile.

Room Tip: May want to mention A/C Unit noise on check-in to ensure you receive a room with a quieter unit.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Fastpitch1
Thank you so much for you kind words! We appreciate it & hope that if your travels bring you back to the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area that we will see you back again.
Galax, Virginia
Reviewed June 21, 2013

After trying to find the exact hotel where we had a reservation, we finally found the one where we would be staying. Wonderful front desk employees. Great atmosphere. Excellent room, excellent value. Would highly recommend this hotel to everyone. Exceptionally clean and well stocked room. Quiet.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Joyce L
Joyce,
Thank you so much for your kind words! We strive to provide our guests with a great experience & I am glad to see that we were able to provide you with the experience that our guests have come to expect from Marriott!
I hope that we will see you again on you next visit to the area.
Bergen County, NJ
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I really enjoyed my one night stay at the Courtyard by Marriott. Check in was easy, the room was large and super clean. It looked like everything was new in the room. The room had free coffee so I do not know why others said they did not. The room had a refrigerator, a large flatscreen TV and premium cable channels. I swam in the pool and used their free internet and computer to print out my boarding passes for the next day. The business center provides pens and paper if needed and is within the main lobby area and not tucked away in a dingy office. Again, I was really impressed by the cleanliness of the room. Also, the beds were extremely comfortable.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and they placed me on the third floor away from the courtyard. Did not hear...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank carolj265
Carol,
Thank you for your review. We try hard to ensure every guest has a great experience when staying with us. Thank you again for taking the time to tell us about your time here with us. We hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to our area!
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Me and my girlfriend arrived at the hotel yesterday the 14..Front desk straff very on point-nice..Our room is very clean-bed made nice an corfortable..walls are thin,can hear others open an shut there door.I thought it was my girlfriend running in an out of our room. Nice gym to workout in the a.m..the only bad thing was the verrrrry over price snacks at this hotel-like really..2 to 3 bucks for chips or candy..a little bag at that, but its a 7-11 in walking distance from the hotel..We live in norfolk we just wanted to get away from home-wish they had free contenital breakfast..The bristo the hotel restaurant is pricey..But hey it is what it is-away from home..Yes :)

• Stayed May 2013
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was a very old property - updated to be a Courtyard. The lobby was attractive but it is difficult to translate a cosmetic update to the guestrooms. Our sliding door was difficult to operate and the bar that is meant to reinforce the lock was inoperable. The WiFi worked occassionally. Guests across the hall from us ran from room to room and shouted in the hallway, using it is as play space for their kids. We did not complain but it was so consistent throughout the weekend that it was clear that hotel employees never walked down the hall.

The staff was friendly but they have a tough job making it seem like more than it is.

Room Tip: If all the patio doors were as poor as ours, I would not accept a ground floor room.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Nancy,

Thank you for your review. Our hotel was built in 1986 as a Courtyard hotel so the translation of the original design to the new concept may not have been what you expected. We did have some issues with the sliding doors and the locking mechanisms. Fortunately for us, this was still under warranty & we did have those particular rooms fixed!
I'm sorry to hear that you had to endure noisy neighbors. Noise issues is something that every hotel is unfortunately at risk of experiencing. We do have outside security on staff 7 days a week to address these complaints when they arise. It sounds like we may have dropped the ball during your stay.
I thank you again for taking the time to provide us feedback on your stay so that we may have the opportunity to make it right for the next guest.