“GREAT - BETTER THAN ANTICIPATED”

Courtyard Virginia Beach Norfolk
Ranked #51 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed April 27, 2013

First of all, the review about the coffee is correct. Marriott discontinued the free coffee (which I personally think was a mistake) and instead forces you to buy the Starbucks from the Bistro if you want coffee. I am not sure what their thinking was on this but it has become a HUGE issue with some folks. I doubt any Marriott folks read these reviews so it is useless to say much about the lack of free coffee. That said. If you can overlook no free coffee - this place exceeded my expectations. SUPER clean. Bed was really, really comfortable and staff very attentive. Close to lots of restaurants and easy access to all highways. We paid $99 a night plus tax so I though a fair rate. I would not hestitate to stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lovinlife1245
Jennifer T, General Manager at Courtyard Virginia Beach Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay! I did want you to know that we do review guest responses....we have heard about the coffee and have expressed guest concerns to the appropriate above property levels. We do like to remind our guests that we still provide free coffee, it is just located in the guest rooms rather than in the lobby.

Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

They remodled this place since the last time I was here and it is all "spiffy" now. However they used to give you complementary coffee and a breakfast buffet, and even free drinks at cocktail hour. NOW you have to pay for it. I do not like this at all.....I would expect to have to pay at the Marriott but NOT the Courtyard. Hey Folks this is not the roaring 80's or early 90's when everyone had an unlimited expense account. Don't know about everyone else but MY Boss scrutenizes my expenses. Back to the Hampton Inn for me where these things are included.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Scot L
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We were there 2 nights and had no issues. Very clean, staff was super nice and cafe was decent. It's very close to the highway which was also nice. The pool wasn't open due to it still being a bit chilly, but gym was open and lounges were comfortable. Wi-fi was a bit spotty in the room at times.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DanaMarie11
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Your time will start at check in with the cheerful smile of the very helpful Stephanie S. We had a meeting room for business which was perfect for us. The sleeping rooms are very nice with a mini fridge and flat screen TV. Nice place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Ron D
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We had to make an unexpected trip to Virginia Beach. Late in the evening we oulled in to this Marriott. We made a great choice! Stayed for several days and it was such a wonderful hotel. Clean, friendly, close to everything but yet quiet! The staff went above and beyond! I just can't say enough about this hotel. Because I have family in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area I will return!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Denise B
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Booked a room so we could shower and eat before a late night flight from Norfolk Airport. Staff was overwhelmingly nice and the lobby and main areas were redone. I appreciated service and the quality of the food at the cafe was very good. Location for a flight could have been closer but the route was direct and there was little late night traffic.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Maureenwct
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I had a family funeral to attend and needed a place to stay for the night. This hotel was immaculate and the room was very comfortable - just what was needed after a long night's drive. The staff person at check in wasn't overly friendly, and she put me in a room next to the elevator. I didn't think that I had to request a room away from the elevator because it was late Monday night and the hotel wasn't full! The room also had a view of the garage! I would think that you wouldn't put a guest next to the elevator unless they requested it or you had no choice based on occupancy, so I was disappointed about that. Also be prepared to pay more than the quoted rate, I had to she'll out more money for valet parking- late night check in in and unfamiliar area - and the city, occupancy and state taxes add up. I paid and extra $55 when you include the tips. At check out the staff was exceptionally friendly. If you need a nice, clean place to stay, and don't mind the extra fees, this is the place!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from elevator with a view.