“Try harder”

Ranked #56 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Maureen Phillips
“Try harder”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Stayed here for one night. We got a suite. It was pretty shabby. The furniture was old and dirty. The loveseat that was supposed to be the couch was so low that we checked to see if the cushions were missing. They were not. They had just been crushed down over time and the whole mess was covered in a tie back slip cover. The lamps and lights had bright halogen bulbs and it just illuminated the problems. The mattress was paper thin but I will say the bedding was not bad. They spared us the dirty bedspread and instead had two sheets around a white duvet. If I had been staying here for more than one night I would have checked out.
The staff was very friendly. I hate to give bad reviews but this place deserved it. It was almost $200.00 for the pleasure of staying here. I travel a lot on business and this was one of the shabbiest rooms I have had in a long, long time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tojopop

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. The rooms were clean and had the standard amenities. The pool and hot tub were very clean and well maintained. The location is very nice. It was near tons of eateries/ restaurants, a shopping mall and all sorts of activity centers. The value at this hotel was decent and I would reccomend it again.

• Stayed October 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Drove down from DC for my son's soccer game being played the next day. Checked into my room and zoomed out for dinner with a friend. When I returned to the room, I realized the bathroom was dirty. Went to the front desk where an apology was made very graciously and I was given the keys to another room. At this point it was 11:00PM. Headed up to the next room; same problem-unclean bathroom. Back to the front desk, another apology, another room key. Next room? Same problem. Back to the front desk, another apology. This time the front desk clerk went to check the next room with me. Sure enough, same problem, dirty bathroom. We proceeded to check at least 20 rooms, all with the same issue; the bathroom was not cleaned properly. My thought is if the bathroom is dirty, I don't even want to know what's going on in the rest of the room! Front desk clerk was very apologetic, she also saw for herself the cleanliness problem in the rooms as we both went in and out of the rooms she opened with her master key trying to find just one that had been cleaned properly. At 11:40 we finally found a room that looked like it would be okay, but frankly at this point I was so bleary eyed I didn't feel like checking any more rooms. In the morning, by the light of day, I could see dust all over the coffee maker, hand prints on the inside of the window, some sort of crud on the lamp and white dust all along the perimeter of the room.
In the morning I informed the front desk clerk (who was the same person Jessica from the previous night, and she was highly professional and kind) that the room had still been substandard in the cleanliness department. She apologized. The Operations Manager also apologized and provided complimentary breakfast. He explained he could give me Marriott points, but I indicated to him I don't stay at Marriott's enough that it would offset this terrible experience. He was apologetic, but could not do more for me since I had booked by reservation through Hotels.com. The breakfast looked good, but I was scared to eat very much because if the rooms aren't clean, it makes me wonder what the kitchen might look like!
While the staff was gracious and professional, the housekeeping problem prevents me from recommending anyone stay here. It's one thing to pay 26.00 a night for a hotel room that isn't so clean, but to pay over 200.00 (we had two rooms) for that kind of experience just isn't acceptable to me.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank DSG-DC
Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed October 15, 2011

I stay at Courtyards because they offer dependable quality. This property wasn't as clean as one expects a Marriott property to be and the outdoor spaces were dingy an unkempt. The service at the front desk was slow.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Fargo
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I stayed at this property over the weekend in between business stays as I wanted a relaxing weekend where I could hang out at the beach. I suppose I should have done more research because this place was about 12-13 miles from Virginia Beach. Not a huge deal, and it's my fault for not researching better - but something to keep in mind for others. It took me about 15-20 minutes to reach the beach and parking was $10.00 at the beach. Next time I stay at an oceanfront property.

At any rate, I must say that I was disappointed with this property. It felt more like I was staying at a Holiday Inn than a Courtyard. I felt the decor was outdated, something from the 90's with teal and maroon. And perhaps this sounds very snobby, but I can understand the other reviews that people felt like this place had a ghetto feel to it. I saw people walking in with several bags of alcohol and it just seemed like it was a party place moreso than anything else.

The beds in the room were comfortable. There was a mini fridge located under the sink, which was on the outside of the bathroom. The bathrooms could use some remodeling, as it looked quite cheap. The room was average size with a couch, coffee table and adjacent business desk. I discovered that the wifi signal is from a nearby hotel and it's best to use the ethernet connection they provide.

I went to the pool after the sun went down and the water was quite cold. I don't think they heat their pool. I opted instead for the hot tub which was fine. There was not a restaurant on-site and apparently they did offer breakfast for $11.99, but I decided against it.

I do have to say that I encountered great customer service from the front desk to the security guards. I probably won't be back to this area again, and it is probably "okay" for other business travelers who are in the area, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend for leisure travel unless the price is right.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Lakehurst, New Jersey
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Extremely friendly and welcoming front desk staff. Good location close to 264 & 64, easy to get to Navy bases from here. Good breakfast. My room was a good size, king size bed with nice big flat screen TV, refrigerator, hair dryer, in room coffee, free in room internet. Free reception Mon-Wed. I had no problem with this hotel as a female business traveler and would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011
Northern VA
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stayed here for 5 days on a recent business trip. It was a typical Marriott Courtyard, that is, super friendly and a room that was a good value for the price. It is not convenient to the beach (about 15 miles away) so I wouldn't recommend it for a beach vacation. There was a slight mechanical problem with my room (air-conditioning not functioning well) and they immediately moved me. My rate did not include breakfast, however, they had a very nice breakfast buffet. Service at the restaurant was outstanding - they remembered me by name on the second day of my stay. Monday through Thursday, they also had a dinner reception which made this hotel a great value.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Virginia Beach
Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk
Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Nor...
#35 of 109 in Virginia Beach
Hampton Inn Norfolk/Virginia Beach
Hampton Inn Norfolk/Virginia Bea...
#15 of 109 in Virginia Beach
La Quinta Inn Norfolk Virginia Beach
La Quinta Inn Norfolk Virginia B...
#59 of 109 in Virginia Beach
TownePlace Suites Virginia Beach
TownePlace Suites Virginia Beach
#61 of 109 in Virginia Beach
Wingate by Wyndham Virginia Beach / Norfolk Airport
Wingate by Wyndham Virginia Beac...
#45 of 109 in Virginia Beach
SpringHill Suites Norfolk Virginia Beach

Been to Courtyard Virginia Beach Norfolk? Share your experiences!