“Worst Hotel We've ever been to.”

Motel 6 Virginia Beach
Ranked #90 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
pittsburgh
“Worst Hotel We've ever been to.”
Reviewed June 29, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for a weekend while visiting my fiance's grandmother in Virginia Beach. We didn't choose this hotel - a family member graciously booked it for us - but it was the worst place we have ever been to.

To start, the hotel staff didn't have our reservations. It took them quite some time to find our room reservation and the mix up was that someone had already checked into our room (Impossible! We had just arrived!). Once we finally got that squared away and got our room key, we made our way up to our hotel room.

The room was absolutely filthy. There were cigarette ashes on the floor, old water left in the ice bucket, hair on the one bed & a wet pillow on the other bed. The shower curtain in the bathroom was moldy at the bottom (cloth curtain) and there was soap scum inside the bath tub.

We couldn't find a "Do Not Disturb" sign to leave on the door while we were gone for the day, so when we returned we noticed that someone had come into to "clean" the room. The cleaning person threw out our bar of soap, replaced our towels (how nice of them!) but did not replace our non-existent toilet paper. We were forced to go to the hotel front desk at 11:30 at night to get toilet paper for our room.

We complained to hotel management, but they merely responded with an, "Oh? Really? Gosh, I'm sorry..." and didn't offer to refund our money for our horrible stay.

In a nut shell? We will NEVER return to this hotel ever again!

• Liked — It was close to my fiance's grandmothers nursing home.
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING ELSE.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank missacidstar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
The Jersey Shore
Reviewed February 4, 2008

As a frequent traveler and Marriott Rewards Silver Elite Member, I've stayed in my fair share of Fairfield Inns. I've come to expect a clean room, comfortable bed, and reasonable continental breakfast.
Unfortunately, none of these amenities are available at this hotel. I checked in around 9:30pm and the desk attendant gave me a room key. I then went up the barely functional elevator to the third floor. I then needed my room key to get into the hallway. I finally open the door to my room and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but cleaning supplies on the floor (spray bottles, etc.), garbage in the trash can and a dirty hand towel on the sink. It almost looked like they held a fire drill before the cleaning lady was done with the room and she never made it back.
So, back down the barely working elevator to the lobby to get another room. I go back up the barely working elevator and finally get in my room. It's relatively clean, but my window looks right out at the stairway to the ground floor. I might as well be at a Holiday Inn with the rooms on the outside. OK. Close the blinds, turn on the heater, which makes the room either too hot or too cool, watch some TV and go to bed. There are no extra blankets in the room so staying comfortable is tough.
I get up the next morning, after a fitful night's sleep, get ready to go out and head down to pick up some of the "light continental breakfast". There are a few items of baked goods, no spreads or any other condiment, no waffles, and a sign stating that the hotel is no longer able to offer breakfast, with an apology for the "inconvenience". Great. Now I have to make an extra stop for breakfast.
After my meetings were over I return to the hotel. Up the barely working elevator, use my card to get into the hall and the card has stopped working. Back down the fragging elevator. Get my key fixed. Back up to the room. This has gotten real old real fast. I'm out of here in the morning. The brand new Westin is available at the same rate and is in a good area and closer to my meetings.
BTW, I was told by a fellow traveler, who already moved to the Westin from here that this hotel has been sold to Motel Six. That sounds about right. This would be a decent Motel Six, but it's an awful Fairfield Inn. It doesn't live up to Marriott standards.

• Liked — Free Wireless internet
  • Disliked — Most everything else.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank HighGradeHarry
Hampton Roads, VA
Reviewed November 24, 2007

Good basic hotel, but not much else. If you're just passing through town and looking for a place to sleep this would be a good place. But for a romantic night out with my wife it wasn't the best choice. Next time I won't be so cheap and spend a few more bucks for something nicer. The "king" bed was not much bigger than a queen, and it wasn't the most comfortable one I've ever slept in. The heat in the room was hard to regulate, and I had to get up several times in the night to adjust it. Overall not terrible, just average. And you get what you pay for!

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — Bed, hard to regulate heat
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank art2va
Woodbridge, VA
Reviewed September 6, 2007

first off, i'm thinking because this is a Marriott hotel and Fairfield inn, i'm assuming it's going to be good...

first off, the agents at the desk had attitudes and were not respectful at all. they couldn't find our reservations then they only had 2 carts for carrying your luggage up to your room. the lobby was really nice and what i dont understand is: why is breakfast from 4am-6am? WHAT!! who in the hell gets up that early? you are on vacation, why the hell do you want to get up at 4 or 5am just to have breakfast. that was stupid! (ridiculous) the elevator was dirty, holes all in the walls of the hallway and if it's 90 degrees outside, dammit it's 110 in the elevator. you can pass out trying to get to your room. LAWD!

secondly, our room wasn't as good as i was expecting. for the money i paid a night, i was expecting much more. we had a small bathroom with a dirty [--] tub. i couldn't believe it and the attached bathroom, don't get me started. small as hell. this is not a good marriott hotel to have a nice vacation at. we had dirty dingy towels, spider webbs in the corners and not a damn thing on television. i didn't like anything about this hotel and when i asked for directions to the beach, the lady at the desk had an attitude. if you don't want to work honey, then quit dammit!! it was just terrible but i didn't let the poor hotel stop me from enjoying my vacation. we still had a great time despite the bad hotel experience. i will never EVER stay at this hotel again. mind you, i am paying $120 a night and the hotel stay should be way better than we got. also, they put us right at the end of the hallway by the loud as squeeky door where everyone goes in and out of all day and half the night keeping us up, plus our hotel room door was loud as hell. everyone could hear us coming and going. i had to go to walmart and buy some WD40 so the door wouldn't be so loud. for the money i was paying a night, this hotel could have been MUCH BETTER!

oh and did i forget to mention, they charged my credit card twice and i had to curse them out at the desk. i just don't understand. i forgot, the maids are suppose to come and clean your room in the am right? why the hell me and my fiance' left out early one morning and stayed out all day, didn't come back to the hotel until around 4'ish that evening, why wasn't the room cleaned yet? the maids were just getting around to our floor. WHAT THE HELL? we were tired and just wanted to take a nap and relax. it's not like they had all these damn floors to clean, it was ridiculous. we couldn't even relax. they then called and woke us up about wanting the room cleaned. i said, no this room should have been cleaned. it's going on 5pm, just leave us some clean towels. CRAZY!!

i do not recommend this hotel at all. if you are only staying a couple days maybe it would be ok with you but for a week, NO!! i could have spent that money at a better hotel with better service and got my free breakfast at reasonable hours and not from 4am-6am. what the hell is that? who in the hell gets up that early on vacation. they set those hours like that so they wouldn't have to worry about feeding alot of people. RIDICULOUS!

• Liked — price was ok
  • Disliked — room/stay & cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MissNicki
Orlando, FL
Reviewed August 14, 2007

The Fairfield Inn Virginia Beach is a fair place to stay at a comparitively inexpensive price. It is centrally located in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach metro area and close to a lot of good restaurants (near Pembroke Mall and at the Town Center area.) Just don't expect a lot, even if you read the Fact Sheet on the website. Overall, the hotel operation seems to be slack.

The room and bathroom seemed clean at first site, but closer inspection revealed sloppy vacuuming. Also, of the three lamps in the room, only one had a good light bulb. (One was burned out and the other missing completely.) The refridgerator didn't seem real cold. The Fact Sheet said the room had wired and wireless high-speed Internet, but neither I nor my colleague could find a Ethernet jack in the room. Also, my colleague and many guests visiting the frontdesk at check-in could not pick up a wireless signal in their rooms. My room was stocked with two complimentary conditioners, but no shampoo. When I asked about this, housekeeping said they were out but they were supposed to get some the next day (no consolation since I was only there one night.)

The outdoor pool was clean and they had towels available in the area. The Fact Sheet says they have a fitness center, but frontdesk said the only one they had available for guests was a nearby Golds Gym arrangement.

Breakfast was nothing special. They have pancake setups, coffee, juice, cereal and fruit (bananas and apples.) All these were ok, but the bagel I tried was stale.

The property is right off highway 264, and my room faced it. I found it hard to sleep at night not being accustomed to road noise. The hotel grounds were neat and fairly well kept. The area seemed relatively safe considering the proximity to a main road, but I did notice one room had a window broken out (with plywood covering it up.) There seemed to be adequate parking.

• Liked — Price. (Summer in VA Bch can be expensive.)
  • Disliked — Lack of some advertised amenities and poorly executed operation.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Sloshgator
Goodrich, MI
Reviewed July 24, 2007

My daughter and I were in Virginia Beach for 6 days for a national dance competition. I booked this particular hotel, rather than one on the beach, since my husband had enough Marriott rewards points to cover the entire stay. It appeared to be off the beaten path so I was a little nervous.

However, upon arrival, that all changed. The front desk staff was extremely pleasant. Our room was on the ground level facing the pool. The room was a little small, but appeared to be recently updated and clean. The pool was very clean and warm, with plenty of chairs and pool towels.

We weren't aware of the free breakfast until the 3rd morning, but it was nice . . . pastries, make your own waffles, cereal, juices etc . . . On the morning we were leaving, it was about 5:45am and they were just starting to get everything out. The staff asked us what we wanted and got it special for us so we could get on our way. Very helpful!

Our only issue was one day, housekeeping came by about 9am and I let them know that we would be leaving in about 1 hr - so asked them to come back. When we returned at 3pm, our room was still not done up. We called the front desk and they said they would send them right out. We were sitting at the pool and after 1 hr, we saw that no one had been to our room. Finally, I went to the front desk and was informed tha the housekeeping staff was gone for the day. The manager himself then went to our room and changed the linens, vacuumed, cleaned the bathroom, etc . . .

It is in quiet area, but close to the mall and a variety of restaurants.

Overall, it was very nice . . . . I wouldn't hesitate staying there again or recommending to someone.

• Liked — friendly staff, clean pool
  • Disliked — room was a little on the small side
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank skav827
hampshire
Reviewed July 12, 2007

This hotel lives up to the excellent reviews which is the reason we booked it. The hotel is well placed besides the beach with all rooms with seaviews and balconys. We had a junior suite with a small living room with TV and larger bedroom also with TV. There was a large bathroom with plenty of counter space a coffee machine, microwave and fridge. The room was clean and comfortable with a small table and chairs on the balcony.
The free breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice hot and cold. It's a shame all crockery is styrofoam though, but this is not unusual. Free coffee was avaliable all day in the foyer.
The free internet in the foyer just one computer was a little slow. Staff very helpful. There was a laundry room at a reasonable cost and the hotel provided free power for the machines if needed.
A couple of nuisances was the car park if you parked upstairs and there were not alot of spaces there were no lifts into the hotel so you had to carry all your luggage by hand or cause a traffic jam unloading by the entrance. Also we had our fridge mended a couple of times but still not really getting cold. No use for any self-catering. Lifts kept breaking down but seemed to be fixed quite quickly.
All in all excellent value and would recommend to friends.

• Liked — location and excellent value
  • Disliked — Car parking
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple