“Quick overnighter for the kids”

Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach
Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed here the last weekend in February 2014. A friend of mine's daughter was turning 7 and her mom invited us to come stay with them for an overnight birthday celebration. With it being the coldest month of e year, we chose this hotel due to the heated indoor pool/lazy river feature as well as the movie theater on property. We requested early check in or late check out and did not receive either. The kids were very eager to get to the hotel so we called and asked if there was any chance of checking in before the scheduled time of 4pm. We were told no, however we were welcome to come down and enjoy the amenities while we waited. Kids were beyond excited! We loaded up in car (two adults and 4 kids ages 10,8,7,6) and headed down there. Note: we al live in Va Bch less than 3 miles from hotel). Upon arrival we realize you have to have a room key to enter the indoor pool area. We decided to go sit in the theater. Kids were very disappointed as we already told them the hotel staff said we could swim. Check in time was 4pm, our rom was not ready till 5pm. Little disappointing that no one apologized for that and/or offered a late check out for our trouble.
We went to the room. It was fantastic! Granite countertops, nice, clean fridge and microwave. Spacious coat closet. Trendy furniture and decor, flat screens in both rooms (we got the one bedroom suite- 2 queens and a pull out sofa). Bathroom vanity separate from shower/toilet area which was nice. No bathtub which didn't bother us but may be a problem for families with toddlers.
The oceanfront balcony was very disappointing. It was maybe two feet wide. Reminded me of a Juliet balcony in New York City. I'm not sure why but our room had a two to three inch steel lip on the floor/threshold of the sliding glass door. My 6 yer old tripped over it coming back in to the room. He fell forward skinning his knees and barely missing his forehead on the desk. This steel lip is extremely dangerous and I'm very thankful he didn't fall going out onto the balcony as his injuries could of been much worse. The sliding glass door was very difficult to slide and made a horrible screeching noise each time you moved it. Sounded like fingernails down a chalkboard.
After checking out the room and eating a snack we got suited up and headed to the pool/lazy river.
The set up is very nice, very kid friendly the deepest section was only 4 ft. Majority was 3 ft deep. Lots of built in bench seating and waterfall features. The pool is really set up for lounging and going around the river part not for "swimming". The kids loved it. Seating/lounge chairs was very limited and a lot of people placed their towels on the chairs to "save" them even tho they stayed in the pool the entire time. Very frustrating, we had to sit on the concrete floor. The hot tub is very big and spacious, very nice and clean. Our only real complaint was the extremely strong chlorine fumes. All of us had difficulty breathing within about an hour of arriving. I even had to step out into the hallway because my eyes burned so bad, like when your chopping an onion. My friends 7 yr old was gasping for breaths and asked to leave because she couldn't breathe. I noticed several people opening the doors and sticking their heads outside for fresh air. The chlorine was absolutely horrible. This alone may keep me from ever returning to this hotel and that's very unfortunate because overall, we loved our stay.
After swimming we returned to the room to change clothes and grab a late night snack. We decided to order an pay per view movie for the kids, until we realized it was $14.99!! This is outrageous!!! The same movies are $1 at the Red Box! Once we settled in and were ready for bed we turned out the sleeper sofa only to realize the sheets were not on it. They were in the room, but not on the bed. I can honestly say I've never had to make a sleeper sofa in a hotel room before. We had six people in a room that sleeps six so clearly the hotel staff knew we would be using the sofa. Not a huge deal, but for what we paid it was a bit disappointing.
We all slept good. Beds are okay, hotel beds are all the same in my opinion. Sheets were clean and soft which was nice. Usually hotel sheets are stiff. We requested extra blankets. They were delivered in about thirty minutes.
The next morning we went downstairs for the breakfast buffet. Kids ate free and we got a disc for the adult meals when we reserved the room. We realized when we arrived at the restaurant we left our meal vouchers in the room. You can not eat until you have them. The elevators in this hotel are ridiculously slow (and small) we waited forever to go back up to the room, then went to the front desk and asked if they could give us new vouchers. They did and just requested we turn in the originals at check out.
Breakfast was wonderful!!! Lots of options. An amazing fresh fruit display, yogurt parfait s with toppings, bagels, toast,roasted potatoes (which are wonderful!), bacon, muffins, cereals, eggs etc. no waffles or pancakes tho. Highly recommend you order the breakfast vouchers, we paid $6.50 per adult and its usually over $12 per adult.
After breakfast we went for an early morning swim then headed back to the room to change and check out.
Overall it was a very pleasant stay, the kids had a blast. Hotel is clean and up to date. Staff is friendly. Cons were, slow elevators, dangerous and small balcony, high chlorine fumes in indoor pool area.
This hotel has two buildings that are connected by an indoor walkway. We stayed in the smaller building with the restaurants and meeting room. These balconies are significantly smaller than the larger building next door. If we ever stayed again I would request a room in the other building.

Room Tip: The smaller of the two buildings have very small balconies.
2  Thank Jenascar6
Michael G, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to fill our a review about our hotel. We appreciate all your input and will make sure to work on what we need to improve and improve on what you enjoyed. Next time you are in Virginia Beach hopefully you will stay with us.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I visit VA beach annual in February for a conference and bring the family. The last time we stayed at Holiday Inn North Beach was in 2009 and at that time I swore never to return. The hotel wasn't being kept up, poor customer service, and the rooms were crowded and filthy. Preparing for the conference this year I noticed the positive reviews of the Holiday Inn and the price was reasonable. Reluctantly I booked at the Holiday Inn and I'm glad I did. We had a great stay. The rooms were clean and comfortable. I didn't feel like I was sleeping in a box. Internet service provided in the room was easy to access and didn't go down. Customer service was EXCEPTIONAL. Every staff member we passed greeted us and asked about our stay or would offer to assist us. The pool is now a saline pool which made it more enjoyable for the family. I normally don't take the time to write these reviews but always use the reviews when booking a trip. The Holiday Inn North Beach changed my mind - I will be returning to stay but hopefully not just during off season.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank 4business2014
Michael G, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. It has been a pleasure hosting you and your family at North Beach. Every Year we onboard for the season several new associates but our core staff has been here for years and it is nice to see the off season accomplishments that our staff provides. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Decided to get-a-way, just the hubby and I. Was checking Trip Advisor the whole entire way there, trying to decide where to stay.
We walked in and got a great deal, greeted with genuine smiles. Then were worried when we saw a bunch of kids roll up in for a party at the pool. (no problems with kids but wanted to get away! Parents of teens are totally understanding me right now). It's kid friendly, but whoever designed the layout was genius! All the kid activity areas are away from the rooms. Smart thinking.
We encountered an issue with our heat. Here's where the shout outs come! Called Lynzey who was super concerned, very genuine at trying to make our stay perfect! She sent awesome Daniel who had us back in business as quick as he could. The next morning Lynzey and Leslie followed up with us, as though it had been on their mind all night. Sweet how they were so concerned.
We really enjoyed ourselves. We are looking forward to coming back down in a couple weeks or so and will definitely be staying here if they have room for us!
BTW, if you are a towel person?? I have never seen so many in a room in my life! Totally awesome!

Room Tip: For the best room selection and less fellow guest in the semi-off season, do weekday.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank swolfe7864

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about our hotel. I am glad to see that your stay was great and look forward to seeing you again in the future. Our staff will be excited when I read the review. We take a lot of pride in the Guest Experience and it's nice to see that it is working out for the better.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We booked a two room suite for two nights in February, to attend an event at the VA Beach Convention Center, as part of a large group (so we had a group rate). Family of four with teenage son who got his own "room" with the pull-out couch in the separate living room, and a tween daughter. This layout works well for our family.

Check-in at 6PM on a Friday night was fast. You can park in front loop while checking in, with parking lot right across the street and reasonably convenient (although very tight parking spaces, and not all guests are considerate about the space issues). With our daughter competing at an event at the convention center early Saturday morning, dropped our luggage and went straight to the hotel restaurant for dinner. Italian buffet night, with small selection of pasta dishses and sauce with meatballs. Nothing too great for $18.95 per adult, but kids 12 and under were free, and we had two kids in that category (a teammate of my daughter joined us). It was fast and convenient. We would have chosen otherwise, given more time for dinner.

We had a room on 5th floor of the southern building. Elevators are small and slow. Wait times can be somewhat long at times. The room is good size. We liked the room layout, with the bedroom and living room of the suite separated by the bathroom area, with a door to each side of the bathroom area. The vanity with two sinks is effectively in the walkway between the two rooms, with a separate bathroom for shower and toilet (with another door). We were able to put our daughter in bed early to get rest for her event early in the morning, while we closed the doors on either side of the bathroom and hung out in the living room, without disturbing our daughter. The beds and pillows were reasonably firm and comfortable, as was the room temperature, so we slept pretty well. The only issue was noise from adjoining rooms and rooms above on the 6th floor. Lots of banging noices until late at night. At least the bedroom faces the ocean side, and has the bathroom and living room with two doors separating it from the noisy hallway. Condition wise, the room was fine. It was clean too, but nothing fancy here. This is your typical mid-tier hotel in terms of the decor, furniture, bedding, etc. It does not seem too recently updated, but not too outdated either. Other than the noise, the biggest negative was the shower. While the shower is very large, the water pressure was very low.

The indoor pool, which is a small lazy river in effect, is a great feature for the younger guests, tweens and younger. The younger girls enjoyed it very much. It is a bit small for the older kids and adults. The hotel has a couple outdoor pools that look reasonably nice, but not in February.....

Given the group rate for two nights on a weekend next to the beach, all in all the suite was a very good value. We would consider returning if back in VA Beach same time next year for the same event.

Room Tip: Assume top floor is least noisy, but longest "commute" on the elevator.
2  Thank SDND
Michael G, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. It has been a pleasure having you at our property and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Extremely satisfied guest's, from the moment we walked we were greeted with smiles and professionalism. It was a very clean environment, very modern and up to date. The perfect place to spend our anniversary weekend. Upon entering the room, there was a bottle of champagne awaiting us and it brought a huge smile to my wife's face. Bill the engineer went above and beyond!!!!!! thank you Holiday Inn and staff. we'll be back!!

1  Thank fernando c

Thank you for writing such a nice review about our hotel. I understand the time it takes to write a review that is accurate and expresses the views of your stay. I will share with our team your experience and hope that you will come back in the near future.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

I was only in the area for one night, so I wanted to make the most of it and stay somewhere near the water. It was in January, so not exactly beach weather, but still worth staying right on the beach. The views of the water from my balcony were incredible. I imagine the hotel is packed in the summer months, but I felt like I had the hotel to myself in January. The staff were all great. The suite was comfortable. Everything was exactly what a hotel should be.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Matt R
Michael G, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a survey about our hotel. It was a pleasure having you as our guests and hope that you will come visit us again soon.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

The weather was cold to say the least, but the staff was warm. My wife and I had stated here in September for my Army reunion (29th Inf. Div.) and found the great attention from your staff then as my son and I found this time around.
My son and I were down to visit the Virginia Beach Air Museum for his birthday and your hotel was the perfect place to stay.
Breakfast was good and room great. We can't say enough good things about your hotel!

Room Tip: ask for ocean front any were in the hotel, we have stayed on the 5th floor and the 1st floor, both g...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for writing such a nice review about our hotel. We appreciate you staying with us and I hope that we can see you again soon in the near future.