“Great family hotel”

Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach
Ranked #18 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed here the weekend of the 17th & 18th. The hotel was wonderful, the staff extremely nice and willing to help with whatever you needed. My daughter fell in the restroom and the manager found us right away and were extremely helpful & caring. There is plenty to do for young children and older which my kids were. Close to everything but quiet at the same time. Would definitely stay here again and would recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Nbkamel
Roberto H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for a wonderful survey and rating we so happy that you and your family had a great time in our resort. Our entire staff is looking forward to see you again soon we love to see our guest coming back year after year.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach

Reviewed August 22, 2013

After having a bad experience on our last trip, I decided to give the Holiday Inn & Suites a 2nd chance. After all, they have a lot of cool amenities (mini-theathre, daycare, pools, etc)... So, I agreed to 4 nights in a suite for the outrageous price of $500/night. In retrospect, I made a huge mistake and it virtualy RUINED our vacation. First, this hotel is OLD and the elevator is so rickety and slow that I'm shocked it passes inspection. The rooms are nice, but I wasn't impressed. The outdoor pools are awesome, but it's VA not FL so the water is usually freezing. The indoor pool has so much chlorine that my eyes were burning and I was coughing like an asthmatic after only a few minutes of swimming. But the WORST PART OF ALL was the staff. They are barely trained and honestly have no idea what to do in emergency situations. For example, there were two adult men shoving each other and fighting at the pool. I went to get a staff member (because it's insane to witness a fistfight at a family hotel) and they literally didn't know what to do. I had to tell the employees what to do... RIDICULOUS! Then we had some problems with our room and the hotel DID NOT seem to care. They apologized but did little to fix the problem. We finally called corporate and actually LEFT THE HOTEL two days early. Went down the road to the Sheraton Virginia Beach which was twice as nice and actually CHEAPER... IMAGINE THAT!

Room Tip: Steer clear of this hotel!
3  Thank brandsusa3

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your survey and suggestions and we apologize for your experienced in you r recent stay.

We regret your stay experience that is not the quality of service we provide in this hotel, in reference to the behavior of other guests the hotel gives 100% to have control but each guest is responsible for his behavior.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed with my wife and daughter for 5 days. Great stay. My daughter love the pools on the north side. Had to drag her out every evening. Rooms were smallish but super clean and well tended to. She was under 12 so she ate for free. At the far end of the boardwalk but we like to walk. Kids activity room and theater room which was nice for a break. Free laundry. Staff were friendly and quick to replace my remote. Would recommend this hotel to anyone. Will return in the future.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms. All with views of the ocean. Had 2 queensize beds. Very comfortable.
1  Thank russell r

Dear Guest,

The Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach Family is so happy that you and your family had a great stay, we thank you for the rating and we all looking forward to see you again very soon.

We strive to exceed our guest expectations by providing the right room, the right technology and the right service to make every stay relaxing, invigorating, stimulating and filled with positive interactions.

Thank you for choosing us and we looking forward to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Setting the bad weather aside (as we are trying hard to do), the overall quality of our stay was not as great as it has been in past years. This was our fifth stay, so we have, I believe, a fairly good frame of reference for evaluating the hotel. From the outset, it appeared that while the price of our stay has increased (as one might expect), the staff and amenities have declined in quality.

We arrived prior to check-in time, and while we expected to have to wait, the front desk staff was less than welcoming. We had one very nice person (John) assist us during our stay, but we were underwhelmed by the service from the other staff. Our room was much as it always is, although there were small things that made it seem a little less pristine than in past years--e.g., the bathroom door seemed grimy.

The cold temperatures did not allow us to use either of the outdoor pools, but the indoor lazy river, usually a big hit with my children, seemed overly chlorinated, and our eyes burned just being inside the pool area, even without getting in the water. Additionally, in past years we saw maintenance personnel on a regular basis, but this year we saw no one other than housekeeping bringing fresh towels. This might seem like an odd point, but the rowdiness in the pool area was at an all-time high this year--older teens and adults with water guns shooting at one another (and unfortunately at anyone in their path)--and this kind of behavior might have been curtailed a bit had there been regular visits by hotel personnel. Again, it wasn't enough to make us complain to management, but it was enough to be off-putting.

The movie selection at the hotel's theater was not as family-friendly this year, either. While this may be the result of an overall decline in this type of movie offering, usually the movies through the 8 p.m. showings are clean enough for all three of my children. Not true this year.

Finally, during our first couple of years at this hotel there was a vendor just outside of the large outdoor pool area selling hot dogs and ice cream. We were told that this was an independent vendor and that hotel management had prohibited the vendor from returning. What a shame! While "kids eat free" at the Square Whale, my kids would much rather grab a hot dog and an ice cream, at least once during our stay, and keep swimming, rather than ordering from the Square Whale (decent enough, but overpriced and not all that great, in our opinion).

I do not know whether we will try this again or not. As I said, we have gone here for five years and it has become a solid tradition for us, but we are rethinking things after this last visit.

Room Tip: If you are getting a suite, pick a deluxe room in the north building. Better layout.
1  Thank Lisa G

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your survey regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to letting us know and we apologize for the inconvenience you may have experienced.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Family for your future travel needs.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Currently staying at the hotel for family vacation. Had trouble finding good charging station for my electric vehicle in the local area (surprised no hotels in the area offer any charging station for EVs).

Only station near by was Whole Foods but their charger only operates during business hours and shuts down at 10pm. By the time I got there, I couldn't charge. When I return to the hotel, the staff (Andre and John) went way beyond out of their way to help me find a outlet to use in the hotel so I would get enough juice to return to Whole Foods next morning.

And they also notified the night staff, security, etc of the situation so that the car can be parked in the front while charging.

Super nice and friendly guys. Much appreciated! And the hotel is great for kids and my 5 yo boy loves the pools and activities the hotel offers. And my wife loves that fact you can rent pool items (boards, noodle, etc) for free!

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are must. The view of the sunrise and ocean is awesome.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your survey about your recent stay. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgement of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts and takes the time to say thank you. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach a leader in excellence.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just got back from our stay!! This hotel is located on 39th St..so if you want to be in the middle of the action this is probably not the place you're looking for. But let me say...the shuttle bus picks up right in front of the hotel so it was no big deal to hop on and take a ride further down Atlantic Ave.

The best part of this hotel was the kid activities. All day the splash camp offers something for the kids..whether it's playing Just Dance of the Wii or making necklaces. My daughter also enjoyed watching Tonka eat his breakfast! The hotel also has a movie theater room and it shows movies all day 10am-8pm. And at 8pm they also did a Bingo Night. We had a couple rainy days during our stay so those amenities really made the trip!!!

I've seen a lot of comments about the elevators but I didn't notice anything unusual about the elevator speed...it always came pretty quickly when we needed it.

I would recommend this hotel to families with kids under 10. Oh another thing about the splash camp...they let guests borrow beach toys and boogie boards. Awesome!!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your compliment and survey we appreciate that you taking the time to let us know about your stay and we looking forward to see you in the future.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed here after a trip to NYC and DC. We were looking to relax. After checking in, we were given a room that was occupied. Not a good start. It got better. The rooms are small. The bathroom super small. It is at the north end of the boardwalk and it's very well kept. Beautifully landscaped. There's a nice paved separate path for bikes and a nice boardwalk. The hotel is in a great area to walk to restaurants and live music. We did cut our trip short because of the weather -- rain most of the weekend.

1  Thank Michelle P

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your survey regarding your recent stay and I apologize for the check in experience, we sorry that the weather was not good at the time that you stayed with us but we looking forward to see you in the future.