“Perfect place for the Johnson Family Reunion”

Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach
Ranked #18 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had a great time at our reunion. We were a rowdy bunch and this hotel was the perfect place for a large group. The three different pools were awesome, however the indoor lazy river and hot tub got crowded quickly when it started raining outside. The location of the hotel is close enough to the "night life" and fine dining, but far away from the crowds since it is at the end of the boardwalk. We had a great room overlooking the beach. Next time, I will definitely request a first floor room. We prepaid for the breakfast, which was worth it. The Greenery breakfast is amazing! The Square Whale is a great bar, where Dave is an excellent bar tender. However, DO NOT expect to get good service on food there and DO NOT order the "homemade" macaroni and cheese... How insulting. I paid $23 for crab cakes that were served to me on a plate of Kraft Mac and Cheese! To add insult to injury, my husband (while embarrassing our family) had to go to the kitchen and get our food that had been sitting in the window for at least 10 minutes! Great drinks at the Square Whale... maybe stick with the appetizers! Overall the experience was good. Check in was a bit chaotic and finding a cart for luggage became a sporting event, but well worth the hassle! I would stay here again :)

Room Tip: First floor is a must. Ocean side for sure! The end rooms are larger than the others.
1  Thank cjbuz
Roberto H, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I am glad that your family had a great time at our hotel with all we have to offer and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife and I have been vacationing at this Hotel for 13 years. We love it! The staff is always very friendly and helpful. Our oceanfront room was wonderful and we suggest the North End of the beach because it is more peaceful than the southern areas of the beach. The only complaint I have was the unfriendly bartenders by the pool. My wife had a cup of coffee by the pool at 11am and one of the bartenders asked her if she was drinking alcohol? ?WHAT? I asked him why he would ask her such a stupid question and he said he is making sure none of the guests bring any of their own drinks down to the pool... Evidently, a guest may only purchase beer and alcohol from the pool bar and the bartenders police the pool area for offenders. I noticed many male guests in, and around, the pool with their own cans of beer and that should not be a problem. I would only agree that glass containers be clear of any pool area. My suggestion: Let the guests enjoy their vacation and keep the bartenders behind the bar...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kevin H

Thank you for taking the time to write about our staff. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and all that we had to offer. On the other hand I am disappointed with the service that was provided to you in our pool bar and I will address this situation immediately.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

The hotel staff was extremely friendly. Everyone greeted you even the maintience guys. They let us check in early and go to beach. They also let us keep car in garage after check out so we could still going shopping. They often asked us if we needed anything. We asked to not have room service (we like to sleep in) but we asked if we could just have a roll of toilet paper. The housekeeping guy literally ran to go get us the extra toilet paper. I have had housekeeping wake me up before even when i asked not to be. This hotel never ever woke us up. :) The view of the beach was nice (we were told we would get pool view. You could see pool but you can also see beach!). Our room was extremely clean not any dirt that I could find. The location was good. Restraunts, 7 Eleven, and entertainment near by or at hotel. The Square Whale had good food and service. Very family friendly. We enjoyed the indoor and outdoor pools. AMAZING hotel!!! When you see a guy cleaning the restruant rails with a toothbrush and a girl cleaning the pool with a sponge, you know they care about being clean!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank your for writing a review about our hotel and we look forwar to seeing you again in the future. Our staff prides itself on guest service and really care about each and every guest that walks in the door. I am happy to see your stay was excellent and hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We just came home from a 3 day stay at this hotel. Service is excellent...I am surprised to hear any complaints about the service. The staff never stopped working...hustling all the time. I was really impressed with how much they care about each guest. I am from Boston and spent my entire life visiting seashore resorts from the Cape to Maine. The service is far above their east coast neighbors. My only concerns have little to do with the hotel and its current staff.

First, if you have children this is the perfect place. They have great pools and so many activities for kids it is really amazing they only charge 200 plus a night.

Pools are decent size with slides and a great central pool. Indoor pool is great too. The halls are clean. In fact, they do a great job constantly cleaning the hotel. The amount of sand and wet clothing (from thunder storms) etc... is stunning. They have to clean literally all the time. People who are commenting on the cleanliness don't understand how hard it is to keep a beach front hotel that clean. Again, go up North and see what you get for 200 a night. An okay hotel on the beach on Cape Cod is 400-500 a night with few amenities.

The rooms are clean and new. Don't be fooled by the "pool view" you actually have a nice ocean view as well. The bathroom is a major issue for me. It is too small and door is weird. The shower needed work. The configuration of the room (bathroom only) is off and it was depressing to take a shower etc...

Breakfast and service was excellent at the buffet. The lines seem long but they are not. It moves quick. Ocean side quick serve restaurant is pretty good and kids eat for free. They do run out of things sometimes, but more than make-up for it with service and other options. They have another restaurant on the top floor but we didn't go.

The hotel is situated at the end of the strip/boardwalk in a quieter section. I didn't like the area we drove by when we first arrived, so I was glad to be located at the end. Many nice hotels surround the property and shops are only 3-6 blocks away. You can walk on the well kept boardwalk or the main road or both!

The noise from the Navy jets from Oceana is one of the worst aspects of this hotel. I am an airplane buff and found the noise too much at times. There is nothing they can do and feel bad I have pin it on the Holiday Inn. I guess some days are better than others...but it is really noisy over the hotel as the Navy supersonic F-18's make their final approach directly over the hotel. On the beach the sound dissipates and is easier on the ears. On your deck, poolside, it rattles your nerves after a while. Sad fact...all the hotels on the strip are effected by the noise pollution. It's exciting to see the jets....so I was torn.

It is a very nice place to stay and was super impressed with the service....from the night manager and security guard at 4:30 in the morning to the cleaning people to the waitresses...you name it. Top to bottom excellent service. They go out of their way for guests.

Again, people must understand this is a beach front hotel, they have challenges that can be severe. Weather, sand, small footprint to lay the foundation of the hotel etc...usually means mediocre service and dated rooms.

The beach itself is a typical Atlantic Beach. Good but the water is cold and the sea rough at waters edge. Still really fun for my kids and good solid beach. Tons of lifeguards who take their job really seriously. We also saw a nice school of dolphins.

Excellent place!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Scott C

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the hotel. It is nice to see you enjoyed your stay but the noise from the jets were there. All of Virginia Beach is around 2 navy bases that fly planes and at times they can get noisy. The way we look at it is it is the "Sounds of Freedom" and kids do love seeing the jets.

Hope that you will come back and see us soon.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

First family trip to Virginia Beach, we normally book an all inclusive trip but decided to try something different this year. We were happy with being on the North end, it was less crowded. We decided to check in a night early, were given wrong information and ended up getting a room different for the first night than what we had requested (needed 2 queens with a sofa bed due to the children we had with us and the sleeping arrangements). The girl working the front desk was very nice and helpful. They gave us a kind suite and did not charge us the difference due to being given incorrect information. The downside to it was we still had to change rooms the next day b/c of sleeping arrangements for the children. That was a BIG hassle! The same night we called for an extra set of sheets and blankets which we waited for over 2 hours on!! Finally the girl at the front desk went and got them for us herself at this point it was after midnight!!! The rest of our stay was very nice! The pools were nice and clean. The indoor pool smelled of chlorine so badly that you could only handle being in there for about a 1/2 hour max!!! Also when it stormed you could not use the indoor pool b/c all the pools were connected. Breakfast was good! The elevators were VERY slow! Overall it was a nice hotel and the staff treated us very good! However, we do not plan on going back we will be going back to an all inclusive resort from now on. Not worth the money you spent for what you get compared to an all inclusive!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Roberto H, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you for writing such a wonderful review about our hotel. Our focus is the guests and making sure there stay is memorable. I am glad to see we did so and look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Virginia Beach.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

No complaints. Pools and lazy river were fun. Nice location on the boardwalk but further from all the noise. Great family place! I would definitely go back. The staff really made us feel welcome. Breakfast buffet was also excellent.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed July 14, 2013

First trip to Va. Beach. After being in town 4+ days, we decided we did like the north end, seemed to be less crowded on the beach than beaches in the middle # streets. Housekeeping not the best, they came late all the time, and one day the bed looked worse than if my 11 year old made it, like they jetted in pulled up the covers, and left. The rooms look a little dated, bathroom kind of small and not enough storage for your "batroom stuff". The breakfast buffet was just OK, we found a local place we ate after the first day. The Isle of Capri restaurant was very good, but a little pricey, for us it was a one night "special" dinner. Pool area was nice and they had food and drink service from the Square Whale restaurant right next to the pool.

Room Tip: They were out of Oceanfront rooms, but we got a pool side room. We had a great ocean view, seems alm...
1  Thank GeorgeGalo

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I am sorry you did not love the hotel and all we have to offer. Our goal is to provide a fun resort feel for families visiting Virginia Beach. I am glad you thought it was okay but hopefully we can see you again in the future.