“The best Hotel We've stayed in!”

Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach
Ranked #17 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Church
“The best Hotel We've stayed in!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Althought we only stayed one night, we had the chance to enjoy all of the Hotels amentities. We want to thank all the Staff, they were all very friendly and helpful to our every need. The Front desk Manager Roberto Hernandez is amazing! We stayed in one of the Suites and he made accomodations for the 6 of us. We thank him, not only for that but he was very welcoming and made sure our children had a marvelous time. We recommend this Hotel to everyone. Specially to families. It has great clean rooms, beautiful beach view, wonderful staff, overall its just PERFECT! Thank you all for making our stay the best!

Room Tip: Everything is GREAT here!
3 Thank Aryani E
Roberto H, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Wow is all I can say about your review. I thank you for all the kind words and time to write a review about our hotel. This is what we strive for: complete guest satisfaction and I am happy to see we did so with you.
Next time your in Virginia Beach we hope you stay at the Holiday Inn and Suites North Beach.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I spent a week at this hotel the end of May/beginning of June. I was here for work and personal. My experience was amazing. The staff was professional from front desk check in to valet, housekeeping and the maintenance staff that fixed my remote control. The rooms are all angled towards the ocean and have fantastic views. Parking and valet were free.

As an IHG member I received free breakfast which at most hotels would not be a big deal but this breakfast was impressive. An egg station for cooked to order dishes, every fresh cut fruit you can think of, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy, smoked salmon with capers, caprese and more. This is one of the many reasons I am now sold on IHG hotels over Marriott - to get this $15+ breakfast for free every morning just for being an IHG member is a nice touch, they also gave me a room on the top floor which provided exceptional views (the views even on the ground level were nice).

The rooms are spacious and while they are outdated the bedding and towels are new and up to the standard you would expect from any nice hotel. The restaurants were good, the room service and the Square Whale have the same menu which was surprisingly good (try the crab cakes, you won't be disappointed). You can dine on the patio over-looking the water or sit at the bar by the pool. There are two pools on either side of the hotel which means you can always find a chair and its right on the water if you want to be on the beach.

My only real complaint would be the noise from the fighter jets, I think this hotel is right in the flight path. They went until about 11pm which can be tough if you're trying to sleep early but from what I understand noise from jets is a common thing in VA Beach and not unique to this hotel.

I would stay here again on my next visit to VA Beach and recommend it to families, groups or solo travelers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Airbound13
Thank you for taking the time to write a review that was so positive. It is our goal to give the guest a experience that will keep them coming back. I feel that we did so with you and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Your review will be read and passed onto the entire staff at our next luncheon so everyone can feel that sense of accomplishment that they deserve.
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed here one night en route to another destination. Rates were fair. Location right on the north end of the boardwalk (no stores or amusements at this end). Staff very friendly. Room comfortable and clean. Corridors dated and worn. Two-story complimentary parking deck across the street (also complimentary valet parking). Free high-speed WIFI. I would consider this a 3-star place.

3 Thank sjc43
Roberto H, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Thank you for your survey regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the timeto mention our corridors and upon further investigation, we noticed some wall vinyl that needed to be replaced. We should of taken care of this prior to your stay but thank you very much for pointing it out.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us.
Midlothian
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed here this past weekend for the second time and it does not disappoint. We stayed here last year for lacrosse tournament and this was the reason for visit this year. Hotel is wonderful, staff is great! My brother and his family came from Tennessee and when we checked in they had a room in a different building. Roberto immediately moved us to their building, in a room next to theirs. Steve at the bar is great, very friendly! The location is great, we could walk to shops and places to eat and even my 5 and 8 year old nieces didn't complain about the walk. Hope to see you next year!

3 Thank LaxMom05
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey about our hotel. I am glad to see everything was great!
The positive feedback that you provided to the world will sure be passed onto the entire staff. Our staff enjoys hearing how positive a guest stay was and hope that you will visit again soon.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We had a wonderful time at this hotel. It was our first trip to Virginia beach and our family with two elementary age boys had a great time. We wished we could have stayed longer. We had accidentally booked ourselves into the Holiday Inn Express further down VB, but after realizing our mistake, we only stayed one night there and called for the rest of our stay here. i'm so glad we went with what we originally tried to book and stayed here.

The room was great. The A/C made the room super cold (awesome) and thermostat was modern and easy to adjust, the balcony was RIGHT on the ocean/boardwalk. (We had an oceanfront Queen suite). We all loved the room layout, it was HUGE. Everything was clean (except the sheets folded up into the bag in the closet for the sofa bed but it worked out as their was another set. Just an oversight I guess - technically they looked clean but just too worn/ripped to sleep on). The Queen beds were SO comfortable. Loved the bedding too. The pullout couch really was very springy and not comfy but my 5 year old did not care! Would not recommend the pullout for adults. We had lunch and snacks and breakfast in our room thanks to the fridge, ample counter and cabinet space and microwave. Would have loved a coffee bar or something in the lobby though, to grab in the morning. We used the coffee pot once but there weren't enough creamers or sugar packets (you can keep your own in the fridge tho).
We went straight onto the beach and had a wonderful time. Showers outside for when you are done. The elevators are a bit slow and we had to share ours w/ housekeeping/catering (not sure why guests didn't have a separate elevator?). But not a huge deal - we used the stairs a lot. Free washers and dryers which we took advantage of.

We ate in the Square Whale for dinner one night, not a perfect meal but pretty good (a little expensive). My son was bummed there was no seafood on the kids menu, so we ordered fried clams off the appetizer menu but of course, that wasn't part of the kids eat free. She did give us his drink free. Note to staff: Please put a mini version of fried clams and maybe steamed shrimp on the kids menu! We would have tried the Greenery breakfast location if we had stayed longer, it looked nice.

There were quite a few weddings and conventions going on so dodged many suited up folks while I walked by in my towel - a little awkward but also kind of neat.

The pools were great, although the outdoor pools need to be heated (they were Ice cold the first week of June). My kids didn't care a whole lot and enjoyed all 3 kids pools (lazy river and slide pools, and the indoor pool). We did not use the bigger adult pool. That pool had crazy loud music blasting all day and night which I was not a fan of. However most of the adults without kids stayed at that pool. Definitely request a room away from the pool music. The kids club looked great although we did not have a chance to use it, the boys visited the turtles. The movie theatre would be great on a rainy day (and the kids club i guess!)

The hotel is located at the very north end of the beach, so we walked South a few times for Ben and Jerry's ice cream and other experiences - there is a lot to do, see, and eat on the boardwalk and on Atlantic Avenue.

The parking garage across from the hotel was great too, very easy to get in and out of. Might be quite full on a busy week tho (this was early season and we always found a spot on the lower level thankfully).

Overall we had a great time and will definitely be back if we can!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor with some distance from the Pool bar area - the bar plays noisy music all day...
1 Thank laribrook
Roberto H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding your hotel experience. We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay.

We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgement of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts and takes the time to say thank you. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach a leader in excellence.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future.

Roberto Hernandez
Front Office Manager
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

I am at this location as I type this. I am beyond livid. First, the carpet in this suite is absolutely filthy. I tested one toe to the horribly stained carpet and it was sticky!!!! We just returned from a long day at the beach.... I shower, pull back the comforter and there it was..... Dirty sheets!!! It's after 10 pm and my family and I would love to finally crawl into bed but nooo. As another reviewer stated dirty sheets! Mine came with short curly hair ( you figure that one out) black, yellow, AND brown spots. To their credit..... the suit is spacious and there is currently not one but 2 persons changing the sheets on the soiled beds. Yes beds! Both are dirty.
My husband is a platinum member and if this is type of room that he's provided with what accommodations will they give to someone who does not frequent this chain?
I have yet to totally take in the amenities. We just arrived today and spent most of the day out. I just had to report this ASAP.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank MrsDALH
Roberto H, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for your survey regarding your experience during your recent stay. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to my attention and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us.

Roberto Hernandez
Front Office Manager
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This hotel is the best for families!!! The indoor pool with rocks and waterfalls and lazy river is amazing! Hot tub too! There are two outdoor pools! One ocean front which is deeper in areas and one out back with slides and lazy river and waterfalls. Rooms are nice and clean with a nice sized fridge and microwave. Bath and body works soaps ate a perk! Limited channels but the movie theater makes up for that! The splash kamp for kids is awesome! Say Hi to Tinka and tonka the turtles and let your little ones color and build things with the sweetest staff members! No car needed! You can walk about anywhere or buy a day pass at $2 per person for a bus that takes you just about anywhere. I would stay here again 100%!!! Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed May 2013
7 Thank Hempfling
Roberto H, Manager at Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
We are glad to see that you enjoyed everything the hotel has to offer and thank you for the review. It does take time out of your day but the staff really loves positive feedback and definitly when it comes from the guest.

Next time you are in Virginia Beach, we look forward to you staying with us again.