“Great family vacation spot for a single mom”

Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach
Ranked #14 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York, NY
“Great family vacation spot for a single mom”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I just got back from a road trip from NYC to VA Beach with my 5 year old son. We had spent 3 terrific nights at the Holiday Inn in spite of the rainy, overcast weather until our last day. I was planning to travel with another single mom and her son so that my son would have a playmate. She flaked at the last minute, but it didn't matter.

The kid-focused amenities that this hotel offers are the biggest selling point. My son actually asked to be dropped off at the Splash Kamp activity room! It is staffed by lovely young people, who keep the kids entertained with arts & crafts and every game & toy you can think of, including a Wii. Although we didn't utilize the movie theater, there were family focused films playing all day. 2 of the 3 pools on the property were perfect for my son, who is not yet a confident swimmer. The indoor pool and outdoor pool with water slides both have 3 feet depth areas for him to be able to stand up in the water and still have fun. The other vacationers were friendly, kids found playmates easily and played nicely together.

We went to the beach one overcast, but dry and warm day. The water in August wasn't freezing although the surf can be rough at times. We were able to see dolphins playing in the waves in the distance! I was quite cranky about having to pay $40 to rent for 2 beach chairs and an umbrella!!! More experienced domestic travelers were wise to bring there own and camp out for free... lesson learned. On the day that it rained off and on, we went to the Virginia Aquarium. It is just a 10 minute drive away from the hotel! It was very crowded but the exhibits were high quality and well worth the trip. We also took advantage of the boardwalk and were able to reach more than 1/2 way before turning around. There are interesting sights and activities along the beach side and shops and restaurants on the street side. My son brought his scooter which was a big help. There are several places to rent bikes, but unfortunately they were all gone by late afternoon. It is a nice walk with benches to rest along the way, but biking is probably better if you want to make it to the end and back.

Our room was a standard size with 2 queen beds and a nice balcony. Sinem, our housekeeper from Turkey kept the room clean, well stocked with towels and comfortable. I was thrilled with the dorm size fridge and microwave in the room. I was concerned that at a family hotel, we would be kept up at night with screaming kids running in the hallways, but our 4th floor room facing the front of the hotel was very quiet. I think that because there is so much to keep the kids busy during the day, they sleep well at night!

Kids eat free at Holiday Inn which is great for the little ones, who often waste most of their meal. I paid a slightly higher room rate to have breakfast included for me, and it was worth it. I recommend taking advantage of the breakfast buffet with a waffle and omelet station. Not the best food I've ever had, but the convenience of being able to eat onsite and start your day without having to drive to a restaurant saves time. I was not impressed with the free kids menu for the other meals- the selection was limited and you have to pay extra for anything remotely healthy. We drove to the local Subway sandwich shop for lunch and there are other options for dinner close by.

Because it was pouring on the day we arrived we went to the onsite Square Whale for dinner after checking in. Both the front desk and restaurant wait staff seemed to be overwhelmed by the volume of vacationers. We waited over an hour for our food, but were offered complementary dessert when we finally decided to leave and eat carryout in our room. We tried carryout from the restaurant again on another day for lunch. Overall, I wasn't impressed by the food or the service at the restaurant- especially during busy times of the day. Courtney, one of the valets, stood out as one of the lovely young staff, who went out of her way to provide us with excellent customer service.

We had a great time overall and will definitely consider returning in the future.

2 Thank HarlemUSA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
Mystic, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Good Stuff: #1-Front desk staff were excellent. #2-Indoor whirlpool was nice. #3-VA beach activities are great! Great city sponsored entertainment!
Bad Stuff: #1-Our room had a very strange odor. It was so bad that we had to keep the door open just to clear the air. #2-The king room ocean front with the sleeper is ok for 2 people but once you open the sleeper there is not enough space to move around in the room. #3-Shower was disgusting; there was mildew and grime along runner and the shower door was broken. #3-Indoor pool was very cold. #4-Outdoor pools were a little too cold. #5 - Not nearly enough chairs to accommodate everyone. #6-Not enough parking; but they offer free valet service. #7-Free wifi not reachable in our room. #8 - Free laundry consisted of 4 mini washers and dryers which was not nearly enough, therefore, availability was an issue. Dryers are small so it took a long time to dry clothes. I would have paid for more and bigger laundry facilities. #9-Rooms did not have safes; therefore, you had to use free safe boxes at front desk. Every time you wanted to access your safe you had to wait for a front desk staff member. #10 - Stopper in sink did not work. #11 back elevator operated a an extremely slow pace. #12-Although on the boardwalk, the location was a bit to far from from the beginning of the activities - at least 1 mile.

Room Tip: Don't book a room here unless you do not care about horrible smells and cleanliness.
6 Thank BeachLoverMyLife
Mooresville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed here in July, & the only reason I can't give it 5 stars is because of the elevator situation. They are simply too small and slow for a hotel of this size. It took a while to get things to the room at check-in on a Friday, & check-out on Sunday was even worse. People were getting pretty frustrated. I mentioned it to the front desk, & the woman acknowledged that it was the single biggest complaint they hear. Step up Holiday Inn. Everything else is perfect. The beach is nearby, & while less packed than the main strip, it certainly isn't desolate by any stretch. But you'll always find a spot & have room in the water. The pools are wonderful, & gave our kids many options. We only at breakfast there once, but it was very good. Having an omelet station is very nice, & there were plenty of vegetarian options. We also ate at the poolside grill, & it was also pretty good. The movie room & arcade were nice, although we weren't there long enough to take advantage of them.

One side note if you skimboard...this section of VA Beach is awful for that. The beach drops off really fast, & there is never flat, shallow surf. Don't know if the rest of VA Beach is like this...I failed to research that before leaving.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank saibot
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

I've been staying at the Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach hotel every year for the past three years and to my surprise have seen the same people come here the same time I do. They are people that come from New York, Ohio and Michigan. The hotel is very clean, the crew is very welcoming. Roberto the manager always knows how to treat the customers as they come to the front desk and the valet crew (Mike) is always going out of his way to make sure the car, and luggage is well taken care of and when you visit the restaurant Corey (bartender) and Matt the waiter will make sure that your service there is easy going. I have never had an issue with anything here and I feel as this place is my second home and so glad to know I can build and cherish my memories here at this hotel. My children love the pools and the crew who work in the playroom. I can't say enough about how wonderful this place is. You too will find this hotel bring you warmth and comfort any time you visit. I know that I will definetly be back as this is one of the nicest hotels on the North Beach. The towels, sheets, bathroom, carpet are clean with no stains and everything is up to date.

Respectfully,
Family from Virginia

Room Tip: I prefer being close to side where the breakfast wing is so that it's easy access for my childre...
1 Thank S C
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Where to start - air conditioning wheezed and when turning off and on made a huge noise - kept us all up all night. Shower stall contained several bugs!!! Not to mention several more throughout the room, but really the shower part was the grossest. Odd smell - I know it's beachfront, but it smells like a mix of mildew and urine. Staff wouldn't make our beds because our kids blankets and / or stuffed animals were on the bed - what hotel does that? And, big surprise, front desk staff could care less about all of the above. Avoid!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank 2ndlook
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I am sketched out by fake reviews on here so I didn't know which folks to trust. That is why I am writing this review although there are plenty of reviews on here for you to read.

THIS WAS MY REAL EXPERIENCE - BY A REAL USER NOT SOME MARKETING DUDE FROM THIS OR ANOTHER HOTEL. I stayed in august, 2012

I stayed on an upper floor and thought the view of the north end of the boardwalk and beach was nice.

This is definitely a hotel for families, lots of kids there. During checkin, one little girl (probably around 5 years old) came up and started playing with my son (2) and he had a blast where he normally would just be crying there waiting for us to do our stuff.

Susan at the front desk and the chef in the restaurant with the all you can eat breakfast (I never caught his name) were above and beyond nice to us. For example there was a line at the buffet to custom order the omlets they make for you and so I gave up and went to sit back down. He noticed this and came over and asked what I wanted then went and made it and brought it for us to our table!

The childcare people that watch young kids for you are awesome as well, when I went in I saw them playing games and reading a book to kids, there were only a few kids there are the time and they had pretty much one on one attention from staff. I was impressed with these nannies because they seemed MUCH better than average to me.

They have a waterslide and lazy river, but don't expect a waterpark. They are just barely big enough for kids to have fun.

I have stayed at really luxurious hotels before and I'm a pretty picky person. I looked at all the photos and I was still worried if I would like it, but now that I have been there I wouldn't hesitate to go back again. I'd describe the place more as 'fun' than 'luxury' but my room as clean and didn't smell so I was able to have a good time with my family! In my mind that makes it awesome.

The price is expensive during peak season, but it is actually cheaper than other hotels on the beach there that are not as nice so if you can actually get a reservation here, you've lucked out.

Room Tip: I stayed in 601 and the room was great.
7 Thank BWaffleLover
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

This was my second stay at this oceanfront property and although this stay was not as smooth as the previous one, I`m pretty sure we`ll stay here again next year! We stayed here four night with our 15 and 8 year old boys.

HOUSEKEEPING: There were some issues with housekeeping during my stay. Stains on comforter, after mentioning this to the front desk they ordered a full service cleaning on my 4th night and when I returned to my room that night I had the same huge pink stains and dirty comforter on my bed. I had to go downstairs to request a clean comforter and ended up changing the bed at 1am to ensure I would be sleeping in a clean bed. Pillow cases for the sofa bed were dirty on arrival, and when I requested clean pillow cases, I received clean ones with stains. Not happy to say the least. The room itself was clean, lots of towels (not softest, but definately won`t scratch up your skin). Room was always vaccumed and sand free which is a plus with an oceanfront hotel. NO BEDBUGS at all, I always check on arrival.

ROOM: We had a king oceanfront with sofa bed...very spacious. Great ocean view, got to see dolphins playing every morning. Bathroom was good size, not cramped, stand up shower only which didn`t bother us. Nice balcony, airconditioner worked great, didn`t bother us with noise. Only con with AC was it was right next to the sofa bed, so it blew on the kids all night. I put the pillows from the sofa in front of it to direct the air upwards so it didn`t blow on them while they slept. There`s a fridge (which the door was broken on arrival, but was fixed immediately by maintenance - Joe is awesome!), and a microwave which came in handy to heat up leftovers. A nice flat screen TV to watch but barely used it as we were out most of the day.

POOLS: There are a variety of pools to choose from. Theres a lazy river and pool with waterfalls and slides located at the front of the hotel. Did not spend too much time here, as it`s loaded with kids but did have some good times there with the 8 year old. There`s an indoor pool/lazy river which we went in once, but has a strong smell of something in there so we didn`t stay too long there. The oceanside pool is fantastic, great view, saltwater and very large. There was several guests in the pool and still room to move around or sit on some in water benches and enjoy a drink while soaking. Plenty of chairs but you can`t really save seats. If you leave your towels on a chair and go upstainrs your stuff will be moved by pool attendent, guaranteed. We spent the entire day rotating from beach to pool. There`s a shower right outside the gate, so make sure to wash yourself off to avoid getting sand in the pool! Pool was very clean! Be careful though, there`s a new law (ABC law or something), you can not bring your own alcohol to the pool, you must have the hotel cups for some reason. I was even asked to open my cooler by the poolside waitress to check for alcohol....Privacy??

RESTAURANTS: We ate at the square whale our first night there, food was great, fast. The waiter did spill my drink all over me, and did not apologize to me and took 15 minutes to bring me another one, which I paid for. Did not clean up the space so my feet stayed all sticky and I had to eat my meal in my hubby`s lap (almost) just to have a clean space to eat. Dress stained, apology not given. Bad impression. We also ate at the greenery for breakfast. Sticky eggs, cold potatoes, watermelon did not look fresh. The omellets were amazing because they`re made fresh, and so were the waffles. Stick to those! I also had a bug crawling on my plate, most likely from the fruit. Waitress was very apologetic, told me the manager would come to see me but after waiting 20 minutes, waitress just told us to go and that our meal was free. She did everything to offer me fresh fruit and had a platter made. We did eat there again on our third day but avoided the fruit :)

KIDS CAMP- THEY SAVED MY LIFE!! My 8 year old went there everyday by request. Even if he was in the pool he would ask what time it was so he could go there, everyday at 430! He also went at other random times too. He enjoyed the activities, puzzles, games, wii time, word search. This was his favorite pass time. Great idea by the hotel that gave it that resort type feeling! I think its open from 9am to 8pm. Staff there was amazing, Miss Mary and Miss Kate, thank you so much! Even I had some fun there singing songs with them from when I was little LOL.

THEATER: Indoor right next to kids camp. My 15 year old and 8 year old and even my hubby watched Kung Fu Panda here. They also had an outdoor movie by the ocean side pool but we didnt attend. Nice touch, and its free but no food or drinks allowed in theater.

STAFF: Overall very nice staff except for the odd one here and there. Miss Kate, and Miss Mary from kids camp, great job, pleasant, and made my sons stay enjoyable. Joe (maintenance) - great people skills, pleasant, helpful, and always ready to say hello in the hallway! My son remembered him by name! The guy who works in the evening, didn`t catch his name, great sense of humor, ready to help out anyway he can. Roberto and Kevin (managers), thank you for listening and taking the time to turn my bad experiences into good ones. You should be proud of the above mentioned staff, you are fortunate to have them on board! Also want to give compliments to the blond girl who works at the front who did everything possible to get us into our room as quickly as possible after a 16 hour drive to get there. We were exhausted and could not find a hotel so drove straight through the night and arrived at 830am. Excellent customer service on that tip.

So all in all, it was a great trip, with some bumps that were quickly and effectively ironed out by the hotel managers. I will most likely give them another shot next year, since the first time was flawless. Just was unlucky this time....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family