Holiday Inn & Suites North Beach
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$197
Country Inn
Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
$188
$167
  • Beachfront
Comfort Inn & Suites Oceanfront Virginia Beach(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
$135
Oceanaire Resort Hotel(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
$304
$167
$231
$199
The Founders Inn and Spa(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
$113
$80
Best Western Plus Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
$169
$126
Best Western Plus Virginia Beach(Virginia Beach)(Great Value!)
$97
$92
$225
$194
Ocean Beach Club(Virginia Beach)
$109
1,167 results
All reviewsmovie theatersquare whalekids eat freeisle of capriindoor lazy riversplash campkids clubthe north endkids roommain poolacross the streetbreakfast restaurantpoolside barfamily hotelhot tubquiet endqueen suite
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed in Virginia Beach for 5 days, myself and my two children (12 and 9)
Location: Perfect location right on the beach. We had an oceanfront suite on the top floor and being able to sit on the balcony and stare at the sea , for a displaced seasider, was wonderful. The hotel is at the far end of the boardwalk which for me was good as I like walking and it gave us the chance to walk all the way (3 miles?) from one end to the other. Opposite the back of the hotel (on Atlantic Avenue) is a 7-11 which does nice pizzas and good coffee as well as a huge choice of cheap food and drink. The trolley also runs from the back of the hotel and is only $1 a ride or $2 a whole day.
HOTEL: Firstly, the hotel staff were super-friendly. from the staff at reception to the breakfast staff who have a hard job but do it with grace and good humour. They went out of their way to help and even tried phoning round restaurants to satisfy my sad British craving for pecan pie!
The room was relatively small, king size bed and sofa bed but it was fine for the three of us. Bed comfortable as was the sofa bed which is often not the case. Air con worked well. Next year i would probably go for a one bed suite tho as if the four of us had been travelling the room would have been a bit crowded as we generally have so much luggage.
Food was fine. The breakfast was great. The kids ate free and there was a huge choice. I also got free breakfast for being a Gold member so I have no idea what it cost but as it was crowded each day I guess it must have been good value. The only downside was that the size of the breakfast room was so small that we always had to wait 20 minutes outside before getting a table.
The kids eat free menu was limited for vegetarians but it is free so I won't complain.
Pools were lovely, four in all and never too crowded despite the hotel being full.
There was an activities club for kids (free) which mine never used as they are too old really although it was up until 12 years. there was also a cinema which showed 4 movies each day. The kids always wanted to go and see one but we never made it as the beach and the pools and everything else was just too much fun!
We were in the USA for 5 weeks and stayed in quite a few hotels and this was the best experience by far. We will definitely go back next year despite the 6000 mile trip from the UK!

Room Tip: High floor (7) and oceanfront room.
3  Thank AlisonBrighton
Reviewed August 18, 2011

This property has great pools. The large outside pool overlooks the ocean and has kids activities scheduled each day (ex. cannonball contest). They also have a smaller outside pool that has two small, but fun slides. There is a small lazy river outside and a bigger one inside, along with a whirlpool inside. We bought our own rafts for the lazy river for $5 at Target because they didn't offer any. They have a theater inside the hotel that offers movies for kids throughout the day. They also offer an activity room that has childcare. All of the rooms have a view of the ocean. Overall the rooms themselves are just o.k. They have a very pretty design, but are a little "worn out." Our shower had a little mold in the caulk and there was no bathtub (very large shower though). The elevators were really gross and small. One of them reeked of beer. The pillows on the beds were great- you could choose from a firm or soft pillow. We also loved the location. It was on the quieter end of the beach, away from all of the late night hustle and bustle of the boardwalk, shopping and beach street USA area. We did visit those areas, but took the wave bus for $1 a person. It runs in front of the hotel nonstop every 15 minutes.

2  Thank whitehorseNJ
Reviewed August 16, 2011

My family (Wife, two daughters 12 & 9) just returned from a 5 day/4 night trip to Williamsburg/Virginia Beach. This review is about our stay at the Holiday Inn North Beach from 8/13/11 to 8/15/11.

Arrival: Pulled up in front of the hotel (off street), unloaded, and checked in - quick and easy. Front desk staff was very friendly. I am a Priority Club member, so I was given a bag of cookies and a coupon for a complementary drink and snack from the small snack area. Received my parking tag and parked the car in the lot across the street. Valets were available (and the service is free) but I opted to just bring the car across the street myself.

Room: We were in Room 401. The x01 rooms are located at the far north end of the building, and are larger than a standard ocean front room. I’d say they were about 4 to 5 feet wider. I first noticed this when looking at our room from out on the beach and saw that we had a larger balcony. I snuck a peak in the room next door when Housekeeping was making up the room and saw that it was smaller. Not sure if this was luck of the draw, or because we were Priority Club and were upgraded, but either way, the extra space was nice. If you don’t mind being at the far end of the hotel, I would request an x01 room. Besides the extra space, it was very quiet.

The room itself was immaculate. There was some sand on the balcony – which we tracked into the room despite best efforts not too – but you are on the beach and it is expected. It was vacuumed up the next day. The beds (two Queens) were a bit firm, but comfortable – and you had a wide selection of pillows. There was a pillow menu if none of the pillows already there were to your liking. In front of each bed were a padded bench / hassock that you could sit on. There was a mini-refrigerator and microwave in an alcove opposite the one closet.

Nice size bathroom with walk-in shower and full length vanity. I say full length as the vanity was actually larger than the shower area opposite it. I am guessing that since the room itself was wider, they had extra space in the bathroom. There was a 2’ wide area between where the shower ended and the wall with the door. Not sure what the area was for as there were no hooks or shelves. It would be a good idea to put some it to make the space usable. There were plenty of towels, shampoo (2), conditioner (2), and lotion (2). The only thing overlooked was that there was only one bar of soap. This was noticed until I went to shower later that evening. The one bar we had was used by the sink. Luckily I had shower gel. Oddly, soap was not replaced / new bars left after the room was serviced the next morning. Neither was the shampoo, conditioner, or lotion – but I will note that there were still unopened bottles so that could explain why more weren’t left. I am quite sure they would have brought some up had I called, or asked one of the housekeeping staff that seemed to always be around on the floor.

A nice flat screen TV - for those with kids, Nick, Disney, and HBO Family channels are available, dresser with six drawers, work desk and chair, and sitting chair rounded out the room. The balcony had two chairs – and a great view.

Pools: We made use of all the pools, but spent the most time in the feature pools (outdoors with slides and lazy river / indoors with lazy river and hot tub). There have been reviews saying the indoor pool was unusable due to the chlorine smell, but I didn’t notice it at all. The beach front pool, the outdoor lazy river, and the indoor lazy river were heated. The slide pool wasn’t as warm as the rest. Not sure if it was supposed to be heated or not – but it was a bit chilly in there at night. Beach front and indoor pools are open to 11pm. Outdoor Slide/Lazy River pools are open to 10pm. None of the pools ever felt crowded, and getting a lounge chair or two was never an issue.

Movie Theater: Really nice theater with about 50 movie theater style seats and a large projection screen. Sound and picture quality was terrific. We caught one movie while we were there (Toy Story 3). No food or drink is allowed in the theater, and it was enforced while we were there.

Children’s Program: While the program did allow kids up to 12, I never saw anyone older than 7 or 8 in there. However, the program seemed well attended whenever we passed it by. We only dropped in once to see the turtles.

Fitness Room: Small room with about 6 machines and some free weights. It was crowded at times.

Restaurants/Room Service: We didn’t make use of the onsite restaurants. We did try to go to breakfast one morning, but there was a 15 minute wait. Since it was supposed to rain all day, we wanted to get as much beach time as possible before the rain so we opted not to wait and grabbed something across the street at 7-11. Turns out it didn’t really rain much, and the storm that was expected didn’t materialize. We also didn’t make use of Room Service, but I did look at the menu and thought the prices were very reasonable for Room Service.

Checkout: Again, painless. Grabbed a cart to load our luggage (I was asked if I needed assistance, but declined). Checked out, pulled up the car, and off we went.

Misc: As mentioned, 7-11 was across the street and very convenient. The hotel snack area was also very reasonable ($1 for snacks such as chips, candy bars, etc. and $2 for soda. Note: The soda machine on our floor was $1.50 for the same size bottle).

Being on the extreme North side of the beach, you had to walk a bit to get to the main areas, but there were restaurants within a 5 block walk. The beach in front of the hotel was very quiet and not nearly as crowded as further down the boardwalk. We rented a 4 person bicycle thing for $20/hr a few blocks away by the Sheraton. An hour was plenty for us, but we later found coupons for some of the other rental locations where you would get a 2nd hr for free.

Had breakfast at Pocahontas Pancakes the morning we left. Excellent food – and a lot of it – but a bit pricey. If you are not looking for a lot of food, I suggest getting sides of things. I ordered a side of pancakes (2) and a side of sausage (4) and that was around $6. A full order of pancakes with fruit (or French toast) was close to $10 – but again, it was a lot of food.

Fireworks on Sunday night were nice – had a great view from our balcony. There was lots of other entertainment on the boardwalk.

Elevators were a bit slow – but not that bad.

Final Notes:
We had an excellent stay at the Holiday Inn North Beach, and while it was a bit pricey (although no more so than the other major hotels on the beach), I felt it was worth it. We are planning to come back next year and spending a week.

Room Tip: Ask for a x01 room (101, 201, 301, etc) - they are larger than standard rooms - but not suites.
5  Thank DJEd
Reviewed August 16, 2011

pros:- kids center/care complete with wandering turtle.
-movie theater
-steps from beach
-less crowded than center boardwalk
-kids east free at Greenery for breakfast, and the Square Whale for lunch.
-free valet parking
-oceanfront dining at Square Whale

cons-elevators are small and slow. often overcrowded. Expect to wait Every Time you want to ride an elevator.
-room rate is very high
-even though kids eat free, restaurant prices are somewhat high
-there was no "do not disturb" hanger in our room, which I always hang on the door, so I let them make up the room after our first night. While cleaning, they took a bag of cookies off the counter along with a free snack voucher for the sundry shop in the lobby.
-very small bathroom, with a strange double door to save space.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

This is an average hotel with the benefit of having one of the few kid friendly outdoor pools on the oceanfront in Virginia Beach. It also has a free Kids Camp, Movie Theatre, and Kids Eat Free program unlike other facilities nearby.

Pros: Kid friendly pools, Kids Camp (free), Movie Theatre, friendly staff, quick and friendly check in process, balconies overlooking the ocean. Rooms were clean for the most part although the shower was a bit mildewy. Free wifi. The location is at a quieter end of the boardwalk and the beach is quite nice there.

Cons: Pools are quite small for the volume of guests, pool towels are tiny, no food/bev service at the lazy river, slide pool, Square Whale restaurant service horribly slow, elevators are tiny and slow, no tubs which could be problematic with young children.

Cost is VERY high for this level of quality, close to $300 a night, for that price I could stay at a lot of JWs, Ritz etc in some pretty nice locations. For this reason we will not return, if the price was say $150 we might. Internet speed was abysmally slow. Also, if you are a business traveler, be aware, it is family friendly, and there are lots of young children to teenagers.

There are plenty of great restaurants around so I would save your money, the kids eat free option really doesn't add up, you can eat less expensively elsewhere and have better quality food. Order pizza from Chichos and have it delivered to the pool or your room, it's a local favorite.

1  Thank MrsSpike34