“Weekend Wedding”

Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk
Ranked #30 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Husband and I stayed at this hotel because it was where the wedding reception was being held.
On the morning of the wedding, DH and I decided to do a dry run to the church, as we were drying the mother of the groom a few hours later. When we got near the church, we noticed that traffic was very congested. When we returned to the hotel, I asked the clerk if I could borrow the phone book, as I suspected I had programmed in the wrong church. The female clerk was very kind and even offered to look up the address on her computer and to print out directions.

After the reception, I went to the hotel business center to print out my Southwest Boarding pass. The printers in the business center didn't work. The male and the desk clerk on duty told me he knew they didn't work, but he would not print my boarding pass on his computer -- said he was prohibited from doing that. Now, this was at 11:00 pm, not during a busy time. Hmm.

Other observations:
The hotel was easily accessible from the I-64. Check-in went quickly. Our room was very spacious. The bed was comfortable, but the sheets had pilling from having been washed too many times.The bathroom tub had a very heavy sliding shower door that continued to come off the tracks. It was a potential hazard. The sink was extremely shallow -- square and about two inches deep. One of those modern ones. It was impossible not to make a mess spilling water.

The electrical outlets were in odd locations. For example, the only mirror in the bedroom was no where near an electrical outlet, so I could not do my hair in the room while my husband occupied the bathroom. Our housekeeper was efficient and pleasant.

The AC system worked very well, and the curtains and black out shades were helpful.

The hotel did a fantastic job with the reception. The food was good, the ball room decorated nicely and hall kept at a good temperature,.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gracielee
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear gracielee,

Ferdinand G

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Used one credit card to SECURE the room but upon arrival, instructed clerk to use another card. Hotel charged the original card without authorization.

I stubbed my toe on unfinished hardware in the entryway. I have cancer and suffer from blood clots . . . so bumps and bruises are a health risk to me. The next morning, I noticed a stain in the bathtub that resembled blood. I spoke to someone at the front desk, showed them an image of the stain on my cellphone. Unenthused, the clerk told me that she would have housekeeping take care of it. I had breakfast and gave housekeeping an estimated 40 minutes to throughly sanitize the bathtub. When I returned to my room, I was hoping that housekeeping would have taken care of the problem but I was stopped before I entered the room. She confirmed my "complaint" and told me that she would take care of it. Several minutes later, she came back with something similar to a brillo pad. She wanted to dispute that the stain was rust and not blood. I politely told her that I didn't really care what it actually was....but that I wanted it cleaned. She did a quick swipe and left.

I also stepped on some sort of insect with my bare feet - - with LOTS of legs.

Then, my breakfast was charged on the credit card that I INSISTED should not be used. Contacted management SEVERAL times to no avail.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Kesha M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Kesha M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room conditions prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are pleased to see you have been in contact with Customer Care, and they have been able to address your concerns.

Ben J

Reviewed June 3, 2013

The hotel website shows a beautiful indoor and outdoor pool (heated), but when we arrived we discovered that the indoor pool was closed, the outdoor pool was not heated and my wife had to clean all the leaves out of the pool. My family of four is not into doing the polar ice plunge. The hotel manager, William, was apologetic but unhelpful. This was a vacation pre-planned and pre-booked. Instead of us enjoying the area like normal, we had to spend our entire evening trying to search around for a hotel with a heated indoor/outdoor pool for our kids to enjoy. We decided to leave after staying two nights and the hotel did not even offer any compensation for the lack of amenities as advertised. Talk about a bait and switch!

The front desk customer no service clerks were unfriendly. No one greeted us as we came in and out, in fact, one particular clerk (short portly woman) gave me a dirty look upon our check out.

Never again will we patronize this establishment.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all cost.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kc8qaa
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Dear kc8qaa,

We appreciate your taking the time to write a review based on your experiences at our property. Your comments are really valuable to us as they really do guide us and help us to improve ourselves where we can. It is unfortunate the conditions of the pool prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel and we apologize for any inconvenience the level of staff service caused you.The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Again, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay and hope that you give our hotel another chance when you stop back through the area.

Zelyn N

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I recently stayed here for three nights with my husband while he was on a business trip. I wasn't sightseeing - I just wanted to relax and work on some writing & reading in the room - so he picked the hotel on his company's list that appeared to have the most amenities.

On the surface, this seems like a nice enough place to stay. The room décor is classy (if a little worn around the edges), and the bed was firm without being too stiff. The free in-room Wi-Fi worked well. Front desk staff is professional, and housekeeping staff are very personable, always saying "hello" and asking how you are. There's a decent-sized pool and a well-equipped fitness center, plus plenty of meeting/conference rooms for almost any size group. A bar, café, and restaurant can provide most of what you need food-wise, and vending machines provide reasonably-priced snacks and Pepsi drinks. The $10 breakfast buffet has a decent amount of offerings, from eggs to pancakes to cereal to fresh fruit, etc., or you can order items a la carte.

Dig beneath the surface a little, though, and the hotel is only so-so. Soundproofing is a serious issue. There were a couple of loud rugby teams there when we visited, and while we didn't hear much noise between the rooms, it quickly became apparent that you can hear EVERY word that's spoken in the hallways, as well as people shouting outside the hotel at 2 AM. Our room was also incredibly humid, and running the fan and/or the A/C didn't help with that (plus the A/C was way too loud to keep on for an extended period). The small refrigerator never really kept our drinks cold, no matter how high we set it. The buffet has a decent selection of food, but it was kept lukewarm at best, which is frankly a health issue. Only coffee, tea & water come free with the buffet - orange juice costs extra. It took forever for housekeeping to clean our room one day, and when I asked when they were coming by, I was told that they thought we were part of the rugby group, which had requested late housekeeping. We did NOT have the "do not disturb" sign on the door, so they should have checked before making that assumption. They were apologetic, but that episode bothered me, since I was waiting to set up my laptop until they got finished cleaning. Finally, the location isn't within walking distance of anyplace other than some local businesses and maybe two other restaurants (Denny's & Ruby Tuesdays), and the hotel offers no shuttle to take you anywhere else. The most they can do is arrange taxi service. My husband needed our car, and I couldn't go anywhere without paying extra, so essentially I was stuck.

In short, this is a decent place to stay if you're part of a group, only need access to your room at night (as long as no rowdy groups are staying there), and/or have a car to get out during the day. But if you want a place to truly relax, you'd be better off at another location. It's definitely a conference center that caters to groups, NOT a destination hotel. When my husband learned he had to stay an extra day after we'd already checked out, he opted to move us to the nearby SpringHill Suites, where we had a much better experience.

Room Tip: At the restaurant, order breakfast items a la carte for fresher, hotter items.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank CatControlled
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2013

Dear CatControlled,

Thank your your comprehensive review regarding your recent stay with us. I am happy to note that you found our staff to be personable but at the same time disappointed to hear that you didn't find some of our amenities to your liking.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for all the troubles you have encountered during your stay. I am truly sorry for the inconvenience caused to you by the event and for the shortcomings with your room.

Once again many thanks for your feedback. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Dhan M

Reviewed May 12, 2013

We went to a convention so we stayed at the hotel, and it was very nice! The room was clean, and the staff were super nice. I hadn't stayed at a Holiday Inn in ages so I didn't know what to expect. I would recommend this hotel! Free wi-fi, decent breakfast buffet, decent workout equipment in the gym. They did well with the convention too.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kimkokomo
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Based on reviews that had been posted prior to April, I was not expecting good food at Ashley's Lounge in this Holiday Inn. We had several buffet meals there, and I was impressed by the freshness of the food and the reasonable price during the reunion weekend we spent there. We also ordered off the menu for a final breakfast on Monday and felt very satisfied with the food and the friendly service. It was much more convenient to eat at Ashley's on the reunion weekend than to leave the property in search of food. Each time we left on an errand, there were few parking places to be found when we returned.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel was very clean and had very friendly and helpful staff. The room we stayed was comfortable for us; it just seemed a little dated. The lobby area was very pretty with the fire going when we arrived. It also looked like they had a nice outside pool. To bad it was snowing out and we couldn't enjoy the pool area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear BrookeChris,

Thank you for your feedback of our hotel. We are glad to know that found our staff helpful. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. I am deeply sorry that on this day we were not able to meet your expectations especially with the condition of the room you received. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades.

Again, thank you for posting your comments.

Zelyn N