I recently stayed here for three nights with my husband while he was on a business trip. I wasn't sightseeing - I just wanted to relax and work on some writing & reading in the room - so he picked the hotel on his company's list that appeared to have the most amenities.
On the surface, this seems like a nice enough place to stay. The room décor is classy (if a little worn around the edges), and the bed was firm without being too stiff. The free in-room Wi-Fi worked well. Front desk staff is professional, and housekeeping staff are very personable, always saying "hello" and asking how you are. There's a decent-sized pool and a well-equipped fitness center, plus plenty of meeting/conference rooms for almost any size group. A bar, café, and restaurant can provide most of what you need food-wise, and vending machines provide reasonably-priced snacks and Pepsi drinks. The $10 breakfast buffet has a decent amount of offerings, from eggs to pancakes to cereal to fresh fruit, etc., or you can order items a la carte.
Dig beneath the surface a little, though, and the hotel is only so-so. Soundproofing is a serious issue. There were a couple of loud rugby teams there when we visited, and while we didn't hear much noise between the rooms, it quickly became apparent that you can hear EVERY word that's spoken in the hallways, as well as people shouting outside the hotel at 2 AM. Our room was also incredibly humid, and running the fan and/or the A/C didn't help with that (plus the A/C was way too loud to keep on for an extended period). The small refrigerator never really kept our drinks cold, no matter how high we set it. The buffet has a decent selection of food, but it was kept lukewarm at best, which is frankly a health issue. Only coffee, tea & water come free with the buffet - orange juice costs extra. It took forever for housekeeping to clean our room one day, and when I asked when they were coming by, I was told that they thought we were part of the rugby group, which had requested late housekeeping. We did NOT have the "do not disturb" sign on the door, so they should have checked before making that assumption. They were apologetic, but that episode bothered me, since I was waiting to set up my laptop until they got finished cleaning. Finally, the location isn't within walking distance of anyplace other than some local businesses and maybe two other restaurants (Denny's & Ruby Tuesdays), and the hotel offers no shuttle to take you anywhere else. The most they can do is arrange taxi service. My husband needed our car, and I couldn't go anywhere without paying extra, so essentially I was stuck.
In short, this is a decent place to stay if you're part of a group, only need access to your room at night (as long as no rowdy groups are staying there), and/or have a car to get out during the day. But if you want a place to truly relax, you'd be better off at another location. It's definitely a conference center that caters to groups, NOT a destination hotel. When my husband learned he had to stay an extra day after we'd already checked out, he opted to move us to the nearby SpringHill Suites, where we had a much better experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally situated within minutes of Norfolk International Airport, the beautiful beaches of Virginia Beach, the restaurants & shops of Virginia Beach Town Center, and the Virginia Beach Convention Center the Holiday Inn Executive Center in Norfolk/Virginia Beach is a perfect destination whether you are traveling for business, to a local sporting event, or for a family getaway. The Holiday Inn Virginia Beach/Norfolk is centrally located between Virginia Beach, downtown Norfolk, Chesapeake & Williamsburg providing convenient access to Government Bases such as Norfolk Naval Station, Little Creek Naval Amphibious Base, Fort Story, Oceana Naval Air Station, & Norfolk Naval Shipyard & local businesses such as Verizon, Sentara Leigh, Riverside Corporate Center & Amerigroup. Traveling for sports events? The hotel is located near the Princess Anne Athletic Complex, Hampton Roads Soccer Complex & the USA Field Hockey National Training Center. Looking for fun things to do? The friendly staff of the Holiday Inn Virginia Beach/Norfolk will provide you information and directions to close by attractions such as the Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center, Cape Henry Old Lighthouse, Norfolk Botanical Gardens, and the Chrysler Museum of Art. We feature 20,000 sq. Feet of flexible ballroom space perfect for your company meeting, family reunion, wedding or social event from 5 to 500 people. From our entire staff we look forward to your visit! **Hot Tub and indoor pool are currently Closed For Renovation updates to follow** ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com and Travelocity so you can book your Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk Hotel Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach Holiday Inn