“Great hotel to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 111 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Newark, New Jersey
“Great hotel to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Better option than other hotels nearby. This is our 3rd stay there. Restaurant and bar inside offered great menu and offers the option to hang out there if you do not want to go out at night. Hotel is visibly nice and clean. Renovation has been done so it looks a little newer. Pool area is also a viable option especially if you have kids, I do wish they had more seating in the pool area but if you get there early, you can get beach chairs to lay out in sun or one that provides shade if that's what you like. Gym has state of the art equipment. The hotel provides free shuttle to beach and airport so you don't have to necessarily have a car.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Cary, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Four of us stayed here for the annual Neptune Classic Soccer Tournament. GREAT option and much better than hotels used (on the same road) in past years. The price difference between this hotel and the other, nearby hotels does not justify their lesser quality. First, the hotel is large and visibly pleasing, inside and out. Second, the pool is spacious, beautiful, clean and well used (though I only got to walk by it on this trip). There is even a staffed pool bar, that was at least open during our August weekend visit. The hotel has a nice, well-used lobby bar and the hotel lobby and common areas all had a welcoming lively feel. The check-in staff were friendly, helpful and we never had to wait to be helped.
The rooms were nice, clean and spacious enough for our party of four adults and the beds were very comfortable with a plethora of pillows.
I did not get a chance to eat in the restaurant, but my wife and friend did for breakfast and they were satisfied. We did stop one morning for a "quick" breakfast at the small cafe in the hallway on the way to the restaurant, where we ordered coffee, some fruit, a parfait and cold cereal. We must have had the same idea as everyone else that day and the staff (she appeared new) was overwhelmed by the number of customers. It was anything but quick by the time we had everything, but the food services manager that showed up to help her sped things up and they were apologetic and tried there best. On the plus side, that's probably my largest complaint about my stay, and not enough to knock off a rating "point".
The only other "complaint" is that the parking lot was packed during our stay. We could always find a spot, but it was never all that close to our room. I believe the hotel was at or close to capacity (they were the official hotel of the tournament), and we *could* always find a spot to park, so really more of a observation/warning than anything else.
Overall, we all really enjoyed this hotel and will likely stay here next year for the same tournament, regardless of if it is chosen as the official hotel or not.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michael P
VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Local soccer tournament in the area the same weekend with lots of players and families staying at the hotel. As a Platinum Member, I used my points for our extended weekend getaway, based on the location to the local VA Beach activities, not wanting to be right in the mix of NOICE and KIDS.

Checked in Friday, was told by 1:00, but in reality, it was perceived that I was nagging - just going on what I was TOLD BY YOUR STAFF. We got in after 3:00 (I should have had them pay by salary wages for my time spent waiting!

Room was normal, faced the parking lot and had a LOUD door when opening or closing. What a LOUD weekend we had. Multiple kids running back and forth, banging into the walls, screaming,, etc., at all hours of the night (Thanks mom/dads, staff). Called both Friday and Sat night to complain...was once told "they're just kids." Well, I'm a Platinum Member who's looking forward to going back to Marriott. Really?! Who cares about the Cafe morning service, who was NEVER READY with Hot Bagel/Egg Sandwiches at 6:20 am (should mention they OPEN at 6:00 am. Way to leave me and my family hungry when we have to leave at 6:30 am. WHAT A WASTE of time and energy. When I did use my $10.00 Coupon, I only wanted a cup of coffee and it was out, and the service member working was not able to maintain the basics. Sunday we took our money to McDonalds nearby. WAY disappointed in this Holiday Inn. Ate at the restaurant on Monday...$40.00 dollars for a buffet which lacked attention, taste, and service. And what's with the lack of complimentary breakfast; fake eggs, biscuits, toast, fruit, and coffee??? Way too take it to the next level lower.

Both pools in mid Aug were COLD, filthy, and been overrun by soccer kids. Outdoor pool was fine, but became a joke, as about 10-15 kids just started running, jumping, tossing things in and around the pool. The indoor pool had floating debris and felt like it was in need of a major PH balance. Whirlpool had another young team of players in it and was jumping from the whirlpool into the pool and back and forth... The sauna...looked like it has been under repair for a very long time...well, the hot shower water will do:(

All in all, I'd rather stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Chesapeake or go to a nearby Marriott. I'LL NEVER EVER STAY AT THIS PLACE EVER AGAIN. I'll be calling corporate about a refund of my points, or I'm rolling to Marriott for all my business travel.

Room Tip: Stayed on the fourth floor. Other then the waits, kids running, kids screaming, waiting for the ele...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank FireSale
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear FireSale,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Virginia Beach, VA.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Charlottesville, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We (me, wife, 2 boys [10 and 5]) had a one night stay this week and can't complain.

Our interaction with the staff was friendly and quick for the check-in. The lobby was nice if you're into the contempo look. For me? Meh - as long as I can check in with no hassle...which was the case in this situation.

No big problems with the room (2 Queen bedroom on 5th floor that faced the outside pool area) that I can think of, although our time there was minimal due to our excursions to the area's tourist attractions. Still, the room was clean, quiet (no noise heard from the outside or neighbors...although having the A/C on the whole time probably drowned it out), the beds were decent enough, had a micro-fridge and microwave, and a decent bathroom. FWIW, the bathroom, in keeping with the theme of the hotel, had one of those funky contempo flat wide sinks with a single water spigot. Not sure what the fascination is with that look and I think it's kind of weird and impractical for a sink (the flatness made me think I'd get major splash-back when brushing or shaving so had to be careful about my morning routine when it comes to the sink), but to each their own I guess.

I frankly think the best part about this place was the cost & location. It's smack dab between Norfolk and the Beach (~20 minutes each way depending on traffic and where exactly you're heading). You'll save ~$200 a night from a comparable hotel on each end. So I thought it was a no-brainer if you're not dying for a beach view, the ability to walk to the beach, or easy access to Norfolk's Waterside and night spots.

Free WiFi, a decent enough outside pool (we didn't swim but checked it out; it's one of those 3-5 foot deep ones that's good enough for a cool off), and plenty of food options in the hotel or 5 minutes up the road in the Pembroke Mall area contributed to making this spot a top notch pick to stay.

So no regrets for my part and I'd stay again if the price situation was the same. Rings true with the 3-star, but I'd say you get a little bit more than for what you paid. Go for it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 4real4
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We are a family of 7 with 5 kids so we have to plan well ahead when we travel. This summer we have stayed at a Comfort Inn, Days Inn, and the Hershey Lodge - they all accommodated our request for adjoining rooms. Our stay here at Holiday Inn was booked FIVE months in advance, and we prepaid in full at that time - we made note, in our reservation, of the size of our party and requested adjoining rooms. Day of arrival, we checked in late in the evening and were told that other patrons who had arrived earlier in day had similar needs so there were no adjoining rooms available for us. Really, did those people book their rooms six months ago? Because if not I think we made our request first. Meanwhile, the staff didn't even give us rooms next to each other or even in the same hall - the gave us rooms on different floors!!!! When I pointed out our long standing request and how difficult this room arrangement would be for our family, the staff could care less. They were rude and condescending. We felt the room arrangement would be so difficult that we would just try our luck at a different hotel, so we asked for our money back - nope. We asked our rooms to be changed to adjoining ones the next morning, when rooms freed up again - nope. We asked for our next nights stay to be refunded - nope. The whole time "our policy is that we cannot guarantee requests" - made our ridiculously expensive stay there our hellish one and the staff and management could care less.

• Stayed August 2012
7 Thank Cfgfmfkf
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Virginia Beach - Norfolk, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear Cfgfmfkf,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on the hotel policy regarding adjoining rooms. I understand the discomfort this caused you. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Trash from previous guest was under the bed.
Room (especially carpet) was damp and muggy the whole time.
Room was supposed to fit 5 but one of our kids had to sleep on the floor. They would not provide a roll out bed.
Dusty.
Sink way too small. Couldn't even wash my hands without touching the bowl.

Pool was nice.
Service and staff were great.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Losviera
Athens, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This was a Pointsbreak redemption in mid-July (5000 PC points redeemed) so obvisouly the cost was cheap.

The hotel has obviously been remodeled recently. The lobby is really nice for an HI. Very odd with some of the rooms actually having its window face the lobby, however. More on that later.

The location is also a lot more convenient to the entire area than I thought it was originally going to be. By the time you park, you're 20 minutes from being on the beach, and there's a Light Rail station within half a mile that goes to the Norfolk Tides Stadium and on towards downtown. VERY nice having this access.

We tried checking in around 1pm. No room available, yet. This was ok. We went on to the beach for a few hours. We came back at 4:30 (was told room would be ready after 3pm). I was told that there were still none available, and that there had been some but others checking in had taken them. This p'd me off a little since I'm a Platinum member, but I was still given a King room - albeit a handicap room and facing the lobby. One night stay, however, and we needed a rest from the 110 degree heat index. In their defense, practically every room had been sold for that night.

Elevators are horribly slow.

Hallways are nice and cool, but we had issues keeping the room at a steady temperature since there was no thermostat.

From what I saw, the pool looked really nice.

Depending on the rate, it's hard to go wrong with this hotel. Since we wanted to go to VA Beach AND a Tides game, it worked out perfectly.

Parking isn't really too convenient to the entrance of the hotel.

Room Tip: Get one facing the pool
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple