See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We booked at the last minute on a holiday weekend and we were looking for a good deal near the beach. We had a great trip, good value for the money, clean rooms but the beds could be more comfortable. We left a couple of rings in the room and the very honest staff made sure they were shipped to us. We would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank harken727
Reviewed June 28, 2012

My husband, daughter & I stayed at the Magnuson Norfolk location for 2 nights while in town for our daughters college orientation. My decision to stay there was based on the fact that they had the best rates, were extremely close to the college & I was informed that they had just finished a total renovation. Unfortunately, a fresh coat of paint does not a renovation make. There was mold & mildew on our shower curtain; a used, wet towel hanging on our shower curtain rod; the desk lamp shade was sooooo dirty & nasty looking that I refused to touch it; the beds were like sleeping on cardboard boxes; etc. etc. We stay at alot of hotels, from Super 8's to Hyatts and I can honestly say that I have not been quite this dissappointed in my accomodations in years. I would have mentioned all this to the front desk staff, but there seemed to be a huge argument going on in the front lobby between the staff & some other guests at the time of checkout & I was not even asked if I had enjoyed my stay or anything - I was just handed my receipt and told to "have a nice day". We should have complained the first night & gone next door to the Best Western, but we were so tired & worn out from our day that we stayed & vowed never to return to this hotel. A final note - the outdoor pool looked lovely but they closed it at 8 pm - IN THE SUMMER !!! REALLY!?!?!?

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Susan R
S C, Manager at Magnuson Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

We sincerely apologize for the delay in responding to your complaint and regret any complications that you had during your stay at the Magnuson Hotel. At the time of your stay we were in the process of renovating and apologize that renovations were not fully completed. We strive to ensure our guest experience the best visit possible during their stay and we take customer service very seriously. Any additional suggestions you may have would be welcome. Please contact us at your earliest convenience to get more information on this matter.

Reviewed June 18, 2012

I called the night before of my arrival to cancel my 2 night reservations but the front office did not answer the phone. I called the customer service number listed through United since the hotel link was on their reservation page; the representaive could not get an anwser either. I called the hotel early the morning of my expected arrival date and was told by Chrissy that since I did not give a '72 hour notice' I would be charged one night with taxes- right at $100.!!!! I told her that I did try to call the night before but no one answered the phone. She was rude and her comment was 'regardless- the hotel has a 72 hours cancellation policy'. I would not suggest this hotel and I will be contacting United to remove this hotel from their link.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank C H
Reviewed May 22, 2012

The hotel was clean and the service was good. I used the crown room for a party everything turned out good. I would stay there again and rent that crown room it is just the right size and everyone had fun. I do think that as they contiune to renovate things will look even better. As with any hotel that you are fixing you have to expect to find things that are out of place. I truly think the hotel has a lot potential and that as time go on it will be better and better. I will use their services again and the hotel is not bas, the price is good. Plus more expensive hotels dont mean that they are better people!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank bert7439
Reviewed May 6, 2012

I spent two May nights at Magnuson near Norfolk International. I believe that their staff was really trying to help me, but it appears that they just don’t have the tools to be successful.
Since the hotel lay en route to my first business meeting, I attempted to check-in about 11:00 AM. “Sorry, no rooms available for check-in.” Fair enough; they’re not obligated to check me in early. Meeting ended early, so I called about 1:00. “Sorry, we probably won’t have any rooms available before 3:00.” When I finally returned at 3:30, I was handed a key to the "ONLY" available room, a SMOKING king. In 2012, it’s hard to believe that decent hotels even permit people to smoke in their rooms, let alone encourage it. Even harder to believe that they actually expect non-smokers to sleep in those rooms.
The clerk very politely spent about fifteen minutes trying to shuffle reservations in order to move me to another room, but pronounced it impossible. Then she said that they had one newly renovated room that shouldn’t reek of tobacco, but that it was still being cleaned. I agreed to wait 15-20 minutes for that room to be cleaned. It shouldn’t take a lot of time to clean a “newly renovated” room, right? After 45 minutes, and multiple inquiries, the room was still not ready. During my wait, I had watched much of the housekeeping staff, and my desk clerk, depart for the day. So, after a full hour of waiting, the new desk clerk still claimed that my room hasn’t been cleaned, but suddenly discovers that there is a third (non-smoking) room, ready and available, and checks me in.
Arriving at my room, it was superficially acceptable. It didn’t stink, was basically clean and was reasonably well furnished. However, as the two days went by, a few deficiencies presented themselves.
There was nothing in the room resembling a desk, or work station. If you want to work on a laptop, you either have to use the bed, or drag the single chair over to an electrical outlet.
Magnuson apparently found a source for ‘90s technology, as the room contained what appeared to be a brand new 27-inch flat-screen TV. Unfortunately, it was the old CRT technology, weighing about 70 lbs., and taking up most of the top of the dresser. OK, that’s still better than many of their competitors. Unfortunately, many hotels “tweak” the TVs to avoid noise complaints from neighboring rooms. This particular TV had been tweaked to the point that it couldn’t be heard clearly over the air conditioner.
The bed looked and initially felt comfortable. It took little time to discover that the mattress was covered in a huge plastic bag. Maybe this is intended to cure a bedbug problem, but it also tends to reflect body heat that would normally be dissipated into the mattress. OK, crank up the AC. Then you notice that the sheets are too small to actually fit the mattress. The mattress is 6’ long and so is the sheet, so there is no way to tuck in the ends and still have it fit. That means that I was surprised to find my feet resting on the plastic bag, and the bottom sheet started wrapping me up as I turned in my sleep.
When I rose on the first morning, I discovered that the shower had a disconcerting habit of randomly shifting between too hot and too cold. I carefully adjusted the knob with microscopic movements to provide comfort, only to have the temperature shift in the opposite direction 15 seconds later. Completing my shower, I attempted to call the desk and report the problem, only to discover that my phone was not connected.
After dressing, I went to the lobby to report the problems and partake in the free breakfast. I was told that both problems would be corrected. Neither was addressed prior to my departure.
The breakfast is minimal in all aspects. The breakfast area is so small that a group of 6 would barely find space to eat without tripping over each other. The available food is also minimal. The only hot food is biscuits & gravy, which I happen to like. However, I was not enthusiastic about having to scrape the gravy off the bottom of an almost empty pan. There was a selection of about 6-8 donuts, about 3 slices of bread, zero bagels, 2 types of cold cereal, and an empty pitcher where the milk should have been. It was roughly the same both mornings.
Travelling to the lobby, it was impossible to avoid the pool, full of water with an impressive selection of green shades. Few people want to swim in an unheated pool during a VA winter, but it was still pretty gross. It was apparently receiving “spring cleaning” as I departed.
The Magnuson is a work in progress. Somebody is attempting to upgrade what appears to be ‘70s construction. In the long run, they might succeed. However it will probably take several more months. Right now, as you walk around the property, it is easy to see a lot of old mattresses and other cast off items, and look into rooms under renovation. The condition of departing furnishings detracts significantly from the appearance of the hotel. Even the refurbished rooms are not up to the standards of the major chains. I would not choose to stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't feel obligated to accept their first attempt. Apparently, there are alternatives to the "only" thing available.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business