“Cancellation policy stinks!”

Ranked #85 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Houston, Texas
“Cancellation policy stinks!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

I called the night before of my arrival to cancel my 2 night reservations but the front office did not answer the phone. I called the customer service number listed through United since the hotel link was on their reservation page; the representaive could not get an anwser either. I called the hotel early the morning of my expected arrival date and was told by Chrissy that since I did not give a '72 hour notice' I would be charged one night with taxes- right at $100.!!!! I told her that I did try to call the night before but no one answered the phone. She was rude and her comment was 'regardless- the hotel has a 72 hours cancellation policy'. I would not suggest this hotel and I will be contacting United to remove this hotel from their link.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

The hotel was clean and the service was good. I used the crown room for a party everything turned out good. I would stay there again and rent that crown room it is just the right size and everyone had fun. I do think that as they contiune to renovate things will look even better. As with any hotel that you are fixing you have to expect to find things that are out of place. I truly think the hotel has a lot potential and that as time go on it will be better and better. I will use their services again and the hotel is not bas, the price is good. Plus more expensive hotels dont mean that they are better people!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank bert7439
Palm Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

I spent two May nights at Magnuson near Norfolk International. I believe that their staff was really trying to help me, but it appears that they just don’t have the tools to be successful.
Since the hotel lay en route to my first business meeting, I attempted to check-in about 11:00 AM. “Sorry, no rooms available for check-in.” Fair enough; they’re not obligated to check me in early. Meeting ended early, so I called about 1:00. “Sorry, we probably won’t have any rooms available before 3:00.” When I finally returned at 3:30, I was handed a key to the "ONLY" available room, a SMOKING king. In 2012, it’s hard to believe that decent hotels even permit people to smoke in their rooms, let alone encourage it. Even harder to believe that they actually expect non-smokers to sleep in those rooms.
The clerk very politely spent about fifteen minutes trying to shuffle reservations in order to move me to another room, but pronounced it impossible. Then she said that they had one newly renovated room that shouldn’t reek of tobacco, but that it was still being cleaned. I agreed to wait 15-20 minutes for that room to be cleaned. It shouldn’t take a lot of time to clean a “newly renovated” room, right? After 45 minutes, and multiple inquiries, the room was still not ready. During my wait, I had watched much of the housekeeping staff, and my desk clerk, depart for the day. So, after a full hour of waiting, the new desk clerk still claimed that my room hasn’t been cleaned, but suddenly discovers that there is a third (non-smoking) room, ready and available, and checks me in.
Arriving at my room, it was superficially acceptable. It didn’t stink, was basically clean and was reasonably well furnished. However, as the two days went by, a few deficiencies presented themselves.
There was nothing in the room resembling a desk, or work station. If you want to work on a laptop, you either have to use the bed, or drag the single chair over to an electrical outlet.
Magnuson apparently found a source for ‘90s technology, as the room contained what appeared to be a brand new 27-inch flat-screen TV. Unfortunately, it was the old CRT technology, weighing about 70 lbs., and taking up most of the top of the dresser. OK, that’s still better than many of their competitors. Unfortunately, many hotels “tweak” the TVs to avoid noise complaints from neighboring rooms. This particular TV had been tweaked to the point that it couldn’t be heard clearly over the air conditioner.
The bed looked and initially felt comfortable. It took little time to discover that the mattress was covered in a huge plastic bag. Maybe this is intended to cure a bedbug problem, but it also tends to reflect body heat that would normally be dissipated into the mattress. OK, crank up the AC. Then you notice that the sheets are too small to actually fit the mattress. The mattress is 6’ long and so is the sheet, so there is no way to tuck in the ends and still have it fit. That means that I was surprised to find my feet resting on the plastic bag, and the bottom sheet started wrapping me up as I turned in my sleep.
When I rose on the first morning, I discovered that the shower had a disconcerting habit of randomly shifting between too hot and too cold. I carefully adjusted the knob with microscopic movements to provide comfort, only to have the temperature shift in the opposite direction 15 seconds later. Completing my shower, I attempted to call the desk and report the problem, only to discover that my phone was not connected.
After dressing, I went to the lobby to report the problems and partake in the free breakfast. I was told that both problems would be corrected. Neither was addressed prior to my departure.
The breakfast is minimal in all aspects. The breakfast area is so small that a group of 6 would barely find space to eat without tripping over each other. The available food is also minimal. The only hot food is biscuits & gravy, which I happen to like. However, I was not enthusiastic about having to scrape the gravy off the bottom of an almost empty pan. There was a selection of about 6-8 donuts, about 3 slices of bread, zero bagels, 2 types of cold cereal, and an empty pitcher where the milk should have been. It was roughly the same both mornings.
Travelling to the lobby, it was impossible to avoid the pool, full of water with an impressive selection of green shades. Few people want to swim in an unheated pool during a VA winter, but it was still pretty gross. It was apparently receiving “spring cleaning” as I departed.
The Magnuson is a work in progress. Somebody is attempting to upgrade what appears to be ‘70s construction. In the long run, they might succeed. However it will probably take several more months. Right now, as you walk around the property, it is easy to see a lot of old mattresses and other cast off items, and look into rooms under renovation. The condition of departing furnishings detracts significantly from the appearance of the hotel. Even the refurbished rooms are not up to the standards of the major chains. I would not choose to stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't feel obligated to accept their first attempt. Apparently, there are alternatives to the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank drgreenlee

Travelers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Walt Disney World, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

Booked this place as a layover while hanging out in Norfolk for the day without having to drive home during late hours. Price very cheap, but you get what you pay for. The shower curtain appeared to have blood on it looking like a murder scene. There were juice boxes, Doritos bags, and dirty towels behind the tv stand. Disgusted! Although it is February, the pool looked like they were about to do a remake of Swamp Thing . Too easy to drain the pool and/or cover it. And at 3:45 a.m it sounded like a party started outside my room! Loud profanity, laughing and scantilly clad dressed suspicious women who appeared to be street walkers servicing customers! Next time I will pay the big bucks for a more upscale hotel.

Room Tip: Always be skeptical when booking online if it isn't the Hilton!!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 831KDR
S C, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Very disappointed to read this review & apologetic for your unpleasant stay. Our management personnel have thoroughly inspected our property, including individual rooms & have not come across such unsanitary conditions. Every being is entitled to their own opinions & no criticism is appointed your way however, our management team would be extremely grateful if you could contact us & provide us with your hotel room & information to allow further investigation. We thrive to satisfy our customers needs & expect no less than a pleasant stay. Once again, on behalf of our staff and management, we appreciate your visit with us & apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

757-460-2205 ext: 309

mgmt
Gainesville, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

It is what it is... if you want a cheap stay and don't mind sleeping in an uncomfortable bed hearing a lot of noise and cops its the place for you.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Mayra J
S C, Manager at Magnuson Hotel Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
At the present time, our hotel is undergoing renovations so we can accommodate our visitors to their highest satisfaction. Unfortunately your visit with us occurred during these circumstances and we feel remorseful you experienced an uncomfortable stay with us. Once our remodeling is accomplished, we would appreciate another visit by you. Thank you very much for your feedback.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

I came to Magnuson hotel around Feb 2012 and I found it great...I made lots of trips for business and this place is one of the best I have ever seen, the rooms are clean and large with refrigerator and microvawe, which are not provided by every hotel. Very clean and neat place, kind, friendly and helpful staff, rooms are recently renovated, their rates are very modest compared to excellent services and rooms they offer. My stay experience was very pleasant and I stayed for one week, the location is also nice, close to airport, highways 64 and 264, easy drive to Norfolk and Virginia Beach. I highly recommend this hotel...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate the kind words and are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

As a frequent traveler to various countries around the world, I must say this hotel was one of the most pleasant, comfortable and friendliest places I have resided at. Not only was customer service polite, they went out of their way to make sure I had everything I needed and requested. I highly recommend this hotel to everyone. I read the previous reviews and was shocked at how people could write horrible lies & negative comments about this hotel. Take it from me, you will not be disappointed at your stay here.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking out the time to show your appreciation towards us. It makes us proud to know we are respecting our clients well & that we stay committed to our obligations.