“What a waste of precious time!”

Magnuson Hotel Norfolk Airport
Ranked #85 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“What a waste of precious time!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

We were checking into the Magnuson and we were informed that only one room was reserved for us when we had reserved 2 rooms. After approximately 1/2 hr, another room was located. When we went to take our belongings to the hotel rooms, the first room had been oversprayed with something with a horrible smell, and the second room was not even cleaned up from the previous occupants....and it was nearly 4pm! We went to the front desk and informed the clerk that we would not be able to stay in either of these filthy rooms. She was kind and offered an upgrade, but we decided that it was best to get out of there.
We were in town to spend time with our daughter who had just returned from being deployed for 6 months with the Navy, so our time was very precious to us. We were extremely disappointed with the Magnuson. We would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone until they seriously clean up their act.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Bernieandfred_11
S C, Manager at Magnuson Hotel Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, March 17, 2012
We express regret during your visit with us & apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you and your family. Currently we are undergoing renovations to better meet the needs of our clients & hope you will choose to visit us again. Thank you for taking out the time to provide your feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

I booked this hotel to visit a friend. I reviewed all reviews due to the fact I normally stay at Hampton Inns, Marriott Hotels and Hilton Hotels. My funds did not allow me to stay at the forementioned ones, so I decided to check out Magnuson Hotel due to cost. I read a lot of negative reviews and thought "Wow, I think I have made a mistake" I remember arriving at the hotel and thinking okay, here we go because of previous reviews. I could have not been MORE WRONG!!! When entering in the hotel, the desk clerk acknowledged me right away! The desk clerk was friendly, gave me an option of staying on the first or second floor. She gave exceptional customer service. Advised to detail how to arrive at my room. Upon entering my room, it was quite a suprise. The room was nice and clean. I was suprised to see the refrig,microwave, cable tv etc. the hotel area was clean and the pool area was so nice it made me want to take a swim!!! I'm not a swimmer but the pool caught my eye! I enjoyed the hotel so much I even thought of extended my stay. During the check out process, Marlo, the desk clerk was just "GREAT". Her friendly additude was a great asset. I dont know what the negative people saw when they posted their reviews, but I can honestly say I would recommend this hotel at anytime.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank traveltabby2011
We respect your decision to stay with us regardless of the pessimistic reviews & pleased to hear & read about your positive experience with us. Our customer’s gratification is all we need to know we are doing our job right. Thank you for your wonderful feedback.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

Stayed here one night because it was late & every other hotel seemed to have no vacancies. There was no trash can in the room & a CONDOM WRAPPER was found near the bed!!! It was jus a disgusting hotel & morning could not come fast enough for me! I would not recommen this filthy place to anyone! There were stains all over the carpet. I guess what people say holds true..."You get what you pay for," because the price for the one night was $88, but yet and still, the place did not have to be as disgusting as it was.

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Soldiers_Wife723
Remorseful to hear such unsatisfactory comments and would like to apologize to you for your unpleasant stay with us. We would welcome further feedback by telephone so our team can work together to better our facility and to make certain every section is inspected thoroughly...thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Dayton, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2011

The first room we were assigned to had dirty towels on the sink, trash in the trash can, sink looked like someone dumped a milk shake in it, and there was food left in the fridge. When we complained we were told that that room was already occupied (!!!!). Imagine if we'd been indisposed when the original owner of the room came in? We were then assigned another room. That room had no trash can and the ironing board was very obviously broken. The carpet was so desperately in need of being replaced I was afraid to walk barefoot on it lest I get foot fungus. The housekeeping staff did not come to clean/replace towels because we didn't leave the "Maid service requested" tag on the door. Whoever heard of having to REQUEST new fresh towels daily??? I thought that was standard?
Oh, the best part, there were hookers hanging out there. I guess their money's just as green as ours, right?
-the non-smoking rooms (both that we were assigned) smelled like stale cigarettes. The bath tub also had cigarette burns on the edges.
-our keys cards didn't work, I didn't even bother complaining to get mine changed, we just used one key the whole time.
I could go on and on about how bad this hotel is, but I'd never finish typing.
We stayed at this horrible place for 3 nights. We didn't change hotels because we just needed a place to lay out heads at night, we stayed gone during the day. The price was good ($240.00) for 3 nights incl tax. But I guess you get what you pay for. I will spring for the better hotels next time, lesson learned.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank funtravelertun
Receiving feedback like this only helps us to better our services so we thank you for your views & at the same time apologize for all the issues that arose during your 3 night stay. We are currently undergoing renovations & guarantee if you choose to visit us again, you will not be disappointed. Thank you for your feedback.
accokeek
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2011

The Magnuson was affordable, clean and had very beautiful + pleasant staff. I was half expecting a not so great rooms and rude staff, but was a i surprised the place was clean, pool was nice and so were the staff. Would definitely recommend to everyone that is looking for great quality and great value.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mxsing1986
On behalf of staff and management we thank you for this wonderful feedback. We welcome future visits.
VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2011

traveled with friends, didn't want to pay much for a hotel near the beach. Great hospitality, surprisingly clean rooms...i've paid more before and those hotels didn't have such clean rooms! Breakfast bar, spacious room, clean bathrooms ( very important to us girls).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank VaHotelStay
S C, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Norfolk Airport, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
It is a great feeling when you hear someone say the hotel was great and at a great price. We try to keep our prices reasonable, but also keep our level of quality high. Many people travelling find it convenient and affordable to stay here and visit the ocean front. We hope that you return this summer and see the new renovations since last year.
New Hope, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2010

This hotel is cozy and in a great location close to interstates and FREE WI-FI. The rooms were clean and the bed was huge. The front desk girl was really helpful and informative about the area. The housekeeping lady was so kind to us she even went as far as she helped me do a load of my laundry in their guest laundry. The lounge that they have has some good home cooked foods, true Virginia cooking. The best part of it all was it was so affordable. It is not often you have money left over from your hotel stay. I will be back next time we go through Virginia on our way to South Carolina. Thank you everyone for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SCBound2010
We take great pride to receive delightful reviews from our customers. This tells us we are doing a fine job in making sure the needs of our clients are met & our standard operating procedures are followed. Thank you for your words and we look forward to servicing you all again.