“Ok place for location, had lots of ants”

Rodeway Inn Virginia Beach
Ranked #95 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Virginia, United States
“Ok place for location, had lots of ants”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We went on family vacation with our 2yr old and 6yr old. We got a room with double beds and kitchen. The hotel was ok, a little shabby, rooms were a little run down minor things like paint chipping, pipes showing, leaking a/c, walls and funiture chiped and patched and old decor. Pool was nice, the staff stayed on top of cleaning it and checking PH levels while we were there, which is a high plus for me with young children in a public pool. Staff was very nice and helpful. The only problem we had were ants. first night we saw none, by morning they were all over the kitchen area. Sheets, and towels were clean. Beds were clear of any bugs, which i always check for. The price to stay there was definally not for the stay of high class its for location! You get what you pay for. But for us its was an over all good stay.

Room Tip: great for location, but very low class as far as decor or fancy staying. Great for single college ki...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TanM1983

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
buckhannon
Reviewed July 14, 2012

we checked in late on a friday night, it was very hot and air conditioner was froze up and blew warm air it was leaking a large amount of water every where and was propt up by 2x4s. told my wife i would call in the morning about it so i did, we waited around for 8 hours and nobody showed up, i had to call again, the manager finnally came up i told him what is was doing and told him it was not working and we were hot, my baby and my wifes head was wet from sweat. the manger told me it was working and i said no its not and he got attitude with me and started walking away from me and i told him to look at my babys head it was wet with sweat, he yelled at me and told me theres nothing he could do so then i said either give me another room or i want my money back and he told me to pack it up and leave. also before that happened my wife fed my baby lunch and a half hour later ants had literally taken over the high chair. my wife also found her makeup bag full of ants, they were everywhere. the sheets on the bed were suppose to be white but had yellow stains all over them. the ceiling had pipes running across it. this place was absolutly 100 percent disguting and worst experience ever. not to mention i took my credit card down to get my money back on it and, they printed out a receipt saying my money was put back on the card, but guess what a week later i call the credit card company and he did not reemburse me my money, i had to explain to the company what had happened to get my money back, good thing i had proof. the manager there is absoluting rude and a crook. with that said im begging you please do not stay at this hotel it is terrible. the rooms reminded me of a run down new york city apartment with rats running every where.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Beverly Hills, California, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Room was full of ants. Refrigerator didn't work and had a rancid odor and was unusable. I had ordered a sandwich and chicken wings, and the ants got to them before I did. Pool was literally right outside my door, and the water kept splashing inside the room. Staff allowed other guests to stay late in the pool, which disturbed everyone else. Place is run down, filthy, and needs a complete renovation, management, and an owner who actually cares.

Room Tip: Tip to help other travelers choose a good room is to NOT stay here.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Havre de Grace, Maryland, USA
Reviewed June 18, 2012

When I walked into the shabby lobby I had a hunch what I was going to get in my room. Upon entering my room I found a large pile of ants feasting on something sticky on the kitchen floor. The bathroom was not very clean (some did a quick wipe down, no scrubbing), hair was plentiful in the shower, and the counters were thick with soap scum.

I used a towel and hot water to clean the counters, then I wiped up the sticky floor and got rid of the ants. Fortunately the linens and carpet were clean and after pulling sheets off the corners of the bed I found a clean mattress. Had I found bugs I would have left.

This place reminds me of a college friends efficiency apt he had in college - the price was cheap and the place was pretty shabby.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Is that when you are picking a hotel that is under $200 a night, during peak season, 2 blocks from the oceanfront, you are getting what you pay for. I knew what I was getting into and for what I needed, the hotel was fine and I came prepared.

The staff was extremely nice, the room and bed were fine and I have no complaints. The front desk person even came to my room with me to assist me with the AC unit and was very nice about it.

However, I consider myself a somewhat varied traveler so these tips below may prove helpful to some:

I do not recommend this hotel for COUPLES, BUSINESS or FAMILY. This hotel does attract a certain "demographic". (i.e. young adults splitting the room with 5-6 fellow partiers). I have nothing against this, I did the same thing at their age. But if you are not highly tolerent of this kind of late night party activity (i.,e. doors slamming from all directions), then you would be wise to maybe choose another hotel. Also, if you have sensitive ears and are not a heavy sleeper, bring ear plugs. I sleep like a rock so I didn't have any problems.

Bring a can of Lysol or other disinfectant spray and a scented or odor absorbing candle and crank the AC to get the air moving. And I always keep my sandals or socks on, never go barefoot. I also spray everything that I touch or plan on touching. (And don't leave the candle burning while you're not there. That should honestly go without saying).

If you plan on using the kitchenette, bring or hit the Dollar Store for plates, napkins, utentils, cookware, etc. They do not provide any nor a coffeemaker. I ate out the whole time so I used the fridge to store my waters and it smelled and looked very clean.

Run the shower for a minute or two to spray down some of the tiles. They do clean it with a lot of bleach so the smell lingers for a while. Running the shower and sort of "rinsing" it dissipates some of the scent and keep the fan running as much as you are in the room.

Yes, there are some scratches and dents on the walls and maybe a watermark or two on the ceiling and a very dark carpet so that any possible previous stains are probably hidden and yes, there's dust and dirt on some of the crown molding. That being said, I didn't come to spend time in the hotel. I used it for bathing and sleeping. That's it and it served its purpose just fine.

Room Tip: Ice machine on the 5th floor. Note that in some rooms, the TV is not in the same room as the bedroo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Michelle K
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed 2 nights over the Memorial Day Holiday and the room was outdated and disgusting. The carpet and the couch was filthy. There were several ants crawling around the kitchenette. Although it had two burners and a fridge, they do not provide the basic pots and pans and there isn't a microwave. The bathroom was small and disgusting and the cleaning folks failed to clean the trashcans from the previous tenants. In regards to the bedroom, it was also dirty. The beds were not comfortable, the mattresses were old as hell and to my surprise, there was a weird claw mark on the ceiling. It looked as though a werewolf was in our room at some point and left his hand print for us. I was also grateful to find a pair of dirty boxers in one of our dresser drawers. Overall, I have nothing positive to say about the RodeHard Inn.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Proctorville
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Arrived and checked in on Sunday May 13, 2012 Mothers Day thru May 20, 2012, Located a block from the beach with a decent view of the beach/town. Extremely small bathrooms that would be ok for a small or thin type person, kitchenette stove (just 1 burner worked), kitchenette sink turned water on to wash dishes and couldnt get water to turn off, bed sheets are like sticky fly paper(you cant turn over in bed unless you thrash around like a fish we found it easier to get up and lay back down in the position you wanted to get into then go back to sleep. Moved to another room got infested by ants, room service only took out trash and left bathroom tissue and a couple clean towels, they didnt change sheets or vacume. Neighbors in the room beside us apparently was WWW Wrestlers cause they kept bouncing off the walls and shaking the entire room all hours of the night. We stayed 7 nights cause the other hotels were booked up but if I could have I would have changed hotels after the first day. Will *NOT* Stay again!

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family