“Decent Hotel”

Ranked #40 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Philadelphia
“Decent Hotel”
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Our family spent one night in this hotel in August 2008. The hotel room contained 2 double beds, a desk, a small table with chairs, bathroom and seperate sink area. There is also a small refrigerator and microwave. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Our room was at the back side of the hotel, so potential noise from Northampton Blvd did not present a problem for us.

At the front of the hotel, there is a pool, which is small, but it is clean and well-maintained. The lobby has one computer with complimentary internet access for guests.

The complimentary breakfast, which is served in a small room just off of the lobby, was less than desirable. While a variety of foods were offered, such as cereal, oatmeal, donuts, danish, fruit, hard boiled eggs, etc, we felt that the quality was lacking. The apple juice was very watered down. We wondered how "fresh" some of this food really was. Also, the breakfast area was too small to accomodate all the guests. Some guests wandered around the lobby and outside the hotel trying to find a suitable place to sit and eat their breakfast.

The hotel is located on Northampton Blvd and there are plenty of restaurants and stores nearby.

Overall, this hotel provided a decent lodging experience. We would stay there again, but if we did, we would probably skip the breakfast.

• Liked — location, clean rooms, pool
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 16, 2008

We took a family vacation and stayed here for a week. Oer all it was not bad. It was in a crowded district. But we chose it because it was in the middle of everything we wanted to do. The room, was decent, not great. I liked that it had 2 queen beds, a microwave, and a fridge. As for being clean, I would say mostly. We did find a few wrappers on the floor just by the bedspread. The bathroom was clean. The windowsill was loose, so if you leaned on it, it would flip. It wasn't to loud at our end. The pool was decent. The breakfast was great-not a cooked meal, but plenty to choose from. They had bagels, toast, jelly, eggs, muffins, donuts and other pastries. Fresh fruit, bob evan breakfast sandwiches, waffles, cereal, oatmeal, and probably a few things I am missing. Not to mention milk, coffee, tea, juice. I do have to say that when it was time to leave, that is when we had the problem. The bill was higher then my confirmation paper from the hotel website. So I spoke to the manager (who was LESS then professional). He was very rude, cocky, and nasty. He got on the phone to "see how to handle this" and kept me waiting almost 30 min-in the meantime telling me to mind my own business and so on as I am trying to explain and show him my paper. In the end, he corrected the amount, but not without a hassle. As for all the other staff I encountered, they were GREAT! Very kind, pleasant, and helpful. They even let my kids swim later in the pool. So as long as you don't deal with the manager whose name starts with an "R", your visit should be fine!

• Liked — The location, rate, and breakfast.
  • Disliked — The manager.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank goin_south78
Maine
Reviewed March 15, 2008

This hotel was pretty nice. The breakfast contained cereal, bread, muffins, sausage biscuits, coffee, juice, milk and waffles. Our room had a microwave and fridge at no extra charge. The bed was very comfortable (and clean). The bathroom was very clean. The only thing that I didn't like was the adjoining room had smokers and we could smell the smoke. I would stay here again.

• Liked — the price, room was clean, free breakfast
  • Disliked — the smell of smoke from the adjoining room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed February 23, 2008

My Mom and I took a two day, one night, trip to Norfolk, Virginia, from Washington, DC, on family business. While the car trip was tiring, the Best Western Inn was a pleasant surprise. While the Inn was located in a dense commercial district in Norfolk (actually the Best Western's address is Virginia Beach, but I was told that the Norfolk city limits was right across the street!), we felt very safe in two first floor rooms ( the motel has two floors, but no elevators and my Mom is 89 years old). Each room had TWO Queen-size beds! The beds were very comfortable with their "pillow top" mattresses to make them soft. The room was clean and, most important of all, besides the safety issue, the rooms were quiet. The heating unit near the window was relatively quiet and kept the rooms warm throughout the night. Since the Inn is located in a commercial district, there were a number of places to eat almost within walking distance from the Best Western. As a matter of fact, we WALKED from the motel to the Denny's restaurant for breakfast on Sunday morning. My only disappointment was the bathroom and the room lighting. The bathroom is quite small. I seemed to keep backing into the bathroom door after using the bathroom sink. The shower was comfortable, though, with a massage shower head. The shower even came with a rubber floor mat to keep you from slipping. All the room lamps used what appeared to be energy-saving fluorescent light bulbs which made the room seem "garish" in the blue-white light. All in all, however, I would recommend the Best Western Inn, Virginia Beach. And the Orbitz price was right!

• Liked — location, price
  • Disliked — small bathroom, garish room lighting
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
virginia beach
Reviewed October 5, 2007

I was so pleased with my stay. I stayed for a total of 7 days. My room was nice. The furniture was really nice. Considering the fact that the surrounding hotels have very bad reps. This hotel is very nice and deserves a higher rating. Housekeeping staff was very friendly and helpful. The beds were so comfortable that when I returned home I found myself missing the bed at the hotel. The only negatives were the front desk wasnt very professional. I had a few family members trying to contact me and had to wait about 20-30 rings before someone picked up. Overall they just werent professional. The parking is limited in the back however there is plenty of parking on the other side. I would love to stay at The Best Western again. They made my stay so enjoyable.

Stayed September 2007
virginia
Reviewed August 6, 2007

the hotel is ok, the parking is not set up for the hotel. you can not always park near your room.(not enough spaces close), especially for the rooms on the back side. the breakfast would be ok if they hired people that cared, it was not kept up. the denny's in front of it was not that great either. cold side orders. the room was ok. roomy for the price. bed was ok, shower pressure was good. it was mainly clean.
i would stay there again, due to the price compared to others in the area.

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank torroo
Washington DC
Reviewed July 20, 2007

Stayed here 3 nights, would not stay here again. For the price it was a good hotel room, tiny but fine pool for wading around, conveniently located. Unfortunately it was incredibly noisy -- people partying in the parking lot (we were in back) until 1am each night. This caused serious problem for my family -- a 2 year old and my wife just got back from the Middle East and was jetlagged by 7 hours and needed sleep, at least by 11pm! Hotel staff clearly doesn't care about the noise -- there was hotel furniture pulled outside and it was very loud. Motorcycles being revved up etc., people yelling at all hours. Only way to drown out was running A/C and freezing. Didn't complain because if the hotel did nothing about something this obvious, it wouldn't make a difference. WiFi worked but cut out occasionally. Would have given this place top rating for the price otherwise, serious lesson about a hotel letting some guests ruin a place for others. Didn't try the free breakfast -- cereal, Eggo waffles, individually wrapped bagels.

Stayed July 2007