“hotel and service review”

Best Western Center Inn
Ranked #46 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Very good value for the money, no 5 star, but accomodation, facilities, check in/front desk staff, housekeeping and snack room staff friendly and courteous. A reported room problem was attended to and fixed. Accessibility to restaurants, convenience stores, gas stations, tourist destinations easy. Security good.

Room Tip: Choose a ground floor room, no elevator for the second floor, do not expect much from fitness center...

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Check-in was a little difficult as the booking intermediary had a declined credit card. The only reason the clerk let me check-in was that I showed that my card had already posted the debit.

When we got up the next morning, my daughter found something crawling on her pillow. She squealed and smashed it. It was full of blood. She looked it up online and found it to be a bedbug. We decided that we could not stay there.

We called get-a-room.com, told them what happened and cancelled our stay. The phone clerk said she could not guarantee what or when I would be reimbursed. I stated that could be worked out later, I simply could not stay at a place with a bedbug. We took pictures and I carried the pillow with the smashed bedbug to the office for checkout. The clerk took two other clients before me, stating that my checkout would take more time.

She stated that in the 9 years she worked there, they have never had a bedbug; as a matter of fact they had "just been certified yesterday". I told her I should think she would be angry with the certification company since she had proof in her hand that they do have bugs. She checked me out and said she will call about a refund the next day (Monday).

I called get-a-room.com and they had talked with the Best Western manager. He denied that a bug had been found and stated that he had his maintenance people take the room apart and they found nothing, and he had rented the room out again already, and he was not going to return the money for the room.

I next told this person that I would give her company until 4 p.m. to give me satisfaction. If she was unable to accomplish this, I would have American Express rescind the transaction as unfulfilled, and get-a-room.com would be out the money. I also offered to send the pictures of the bedbug in question. Within 45 minutes the get-a-room.com representative called me back and said that her supervisor and the Best Western manager had agreed to refund 6 days of the seven charged.

3  Thank 501Arby
bwcenter, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Center Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Management and Staff here at the Best Western Center Inn would like to thank you for staying at our location.
We would first like to inform you that there were no bedbugs found in any of our rooms. We take this matter very seriously. Our in house exterminator as well as a certified exterminator have checked every single room to ensure that we have no such issues. We have certified letters to provide to you stating of no such problems.
We hope that you give us another chance, come visit us again and find things more to your satisfaction.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

The first you should know is the location of the hotel is not exactly where your GPS, or google maps will take you. It's a bit awkward to get to the property coming off of the interstate. The signage on the main road, northampton, is small considering the other signage in the area. Once you find the hotel, you go down a fairly narrow street to the property. The parking of the hotel may look fairly small, and there is no direction on parking on the backside of the property. There indeed is parking, it's just not marked.

My checkin took about 15 minutes and there was no one in front of me. I actually felt bad for the rep waiting on me. She just didn't know what she was doing, and it was fairly obvious. I'm pretty patient, and I could have lashed out at her, but it was uncalled for. All in all, I stayed the night and walked out without paying for anything, since she made an error. I had to get a phone call two days later after I had already left the property asking for payment. Pretty embarrassing.

The wireless internet did not work at all. Regardless of timing. There were two workstations in the lobby, but one wasn't working and the other one the rep was using it to check her yahoo email, the two times I walked into the lobby. I guess they don't have access to the web behind the counter.

The room itself was clean, plenty of room the bed and decor were in good condition. No stains, or bugs, crumbs. Bathroom and bath was clean and there were plenty of towels and the like.

There are about six to eight food places including a Krispy Kreme down the street. Standard places.

Breakfast at the hotel in the morning was a pretty ugly scene. The space itself sits about 12 people max. While there we notice, two families and two men just taking whatever they could get their hands on and taking it with them. No napkins, or tongs, just grab and go. The bigger problem was there was literally just a few items to take, apples, bananas, walmart instant grits, and 6 mini bagels. They were gone in an instant, and we heard a member of the staff come out look and go, that's it. It was over. I think she was fed up with it.

All in all, there are plenty of places to stay in this general area. And it's likely most of them looked more appealing from the street than this place did.

Room Tip: Sometimes awards mean something, these 'director' awards from 2011, and the previous year me...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WCU1
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I just knew the online ad was false! But when I arrived at the hotel everything was just liked it said it was. I had a very clean room,with a great housekeeper and a wonderful front desk lady.This place will see me again :)

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We were very disappointed in this hotel as we have stayed in Best Western's many times before. The room was average and the cleaning staff performance was marginal. When we arrived the swimming pool was dirty and stayed that way throughout our visit. I agree with Uylia's comments about the breakfast area. Much too small for the number of guests at the hotel. The food selection was poor and much of the equipment broke down (waffle iron disappeared after 1st day) and orange juice dispenser stopped working. By 8:30 there was little selection even though the food service was until 9:30. Easy to get to the beach (15 miles).

Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

The territory dirty, the swimming pool dirty, staff was very slow, if u want your problem to be solved you should ask about it more than 3 times. The hotel has small untidy breakfast area, a quantity of visitors is not equal the emount of meal. If u come after 8 u won't have a chance to eat smth. Wi-fi is very-very slow.... But!!!! There is a great steak house not far from the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012
bwcenter, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Center Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

We apologize for the noise inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. We also apologies that the front desk staffs attempt at helping with your concern caused more distress to you and your family.
The Front desk staff was trying to do their best in assisting you as well as other guests. We strive to make sure every guest is taken care of from the moment they walk in to their departure.
We also would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the breakfast. We are more than happy to accommodate if you wanted the breakfast hours to extend and felt you did not have an ample amount of time.
Our Wi-Fi services are incredibly reliable and the speed is very fast. We would have been more than happy to assist in helping to connect to Wi-Fi.
I am sorry that you still feel the way you do about your stay with us.

Best Western Center Inn

Reviewed August 6, 2012

We enjoyed our stay, it was a great place for our family and the location was really super! No problems with any part of our stay. Will reccomend it to anyone. It was family friendly and was a good clean place for a great vacation. will stay there again.

Room Tip: Call hotel a head of time.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family