“Comfortable but Needs Some Refurbishments”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach
Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Comfortable but Needs Some Refurbishments”
Reviewed March 7, 2011

The rooms were comfortable and it turned out I didn't need the extra pillows I requested since I already had 5 nice, cushy pillows.

The restuarant served good food but the bar was terribly slow on the two nights we stopped in for a night cap. They need to have a waiter/waitress dedicated to the bar. Our waiter kept disappearning and after waiting for 20 minutes for my drink (NOT alot of people in bar), the bartender had to bring it to me. The second night, there were only about half-dozen people and no waiter.

And was disappointed that free internet not available in rooms. I can get free internet in smaller hotels, chains and not, so I'm hoping that one day it will be available at the higher priced hotels.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank MnGemini
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and will continue making improvements to our restaurant service levels.
Melanie Bowman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Swoope
Reviewed March 2, 2011

Very nice hotel, comfortable stay. Very good restaurant in the hotel.
House keep does a good job cleaning.
Have stayed here for several years attending a conference in the Pavillion next door.
And the cookies are great.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank 2dawgsSwoope
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I booked on Priceline and it wasn't until we arrived at the hotel that my husband and I realized we had also stayed here one Christmas night about six years ago. It was even lovelier this time because our son and granddaughter were able to join us for a swim in the pool.

The personnel are exceptionally gracious. The bedding was so cozy. The pool was warm and clean and I swam a lot more than I usually do. And then there are those delicious cookies. Having one prevented me from having dinner because it was so filling and scrumptious. Both times we've stayed here provided good memories, and I hope to go back again even though we're moving to the area

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ElizabethCMurphy
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit with us. They say three's a charm!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 30, 2010

Traveling with pets sometimes can be a pain trying to find a hotel that is pet friendly, and not too expensive. Doing a web search for pet friendly hotels brought me to the Double Tree of Virginia Beach. The hotel is 3/4 of a mile from the beach, and the quality is very good for the price. we stayed for 2 nights at $69.00 a night compared with a beach front hotel at $212.00 a night. The rooms are very clean and the staff is very friendly. They have a Max and Erma's restaurant in the hotel that provides 24 hour room service. The pool is very nice as well as the work out area. I recommend this hotel for those with a pet and a family budget.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Rob T
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear robccx:
Thank you for staying with us. Your kind comments about our cleanliness and service are most appreciated. We are thrilled to be one of the most accommodating pet friendly hotels in Virginia Beach. Looking forward to your next stay with us.
Frederick, MD
Reviewed November 29, 2010

I stayed here and actually had a great mini-vacation in VAB. But, upon checking out, we left my laptop in the room. Not only did a maid steal it, but the hotel tried to cover it up by saying that I left it at the checkout desk and another customer picked it up. They got it back, but never told me how. Although the laptop was wiped completely clean, I'd lost all my school and work as well as some programs, I was just happy to get my $1500 laptop back. I spent 5 months replacing things only to find out that it WAS the maid and not ME! Now they don't want to reimburse me for anything, including a flawed computer (they must have erased a system component). The Hotel Manager Ms. Geist has since become rude and unwavering. I had to take the issue over her head, although I don't know the outcome. My suggestion is to steer clear of this place. They are deceptive and lie to you to cover their own mistakes. DON'T TRUST YOUR STUFF IN THE ROOM!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tiahallbrown
DTbyHiltonVB_GM, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear tiahallbrown:
I do apologize that your stay with us was ruined over the situation with your laptop. I am glad it was found and returned.

Travelers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Went for a wedding reception and stayed in a two room suite, it was comfortable and roomy.
Restaurant not that good.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank fitzofnc
Dear fitzofnc:
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the upgrade to your room was appreciated. Look forward to having you stay with us again.
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I stayed at the doubletree with my wife for one night whilst we were travelling to Florida.
The Hotel lobby is okay and staff is nice, room was okay but nothing more. The swimming pool was filthy and trust me IS NOT HEATED! We had lunch and had to wait 30 minutes for a salad and a sandwich... no comment. The Hotel website says "just 8 blocks from the beach" and the staff told us it was 10 minutes walking well it took us 30 minutes to get to the beach! If I knew i would have taken the car! I guess this hotel is okay for business as the conference centre is next door but i wouldnt reccommend it for leisure people.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Alexuk79:
Thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We are definitely closer to the convention center than the beach, and are pleased to offer a complimentary shuttle to the Ocean front during our summer season. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay.