“Not as bad as the others say”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach
Ranked #11 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
Columbus, OH
Reviewed June 18, 2006

Before going to stay at the Doubletree in VA Beach, I read countless reviews on how bad it was. I am now wondering if the bad reviews were from people who really stayed there or if they were from competitors trying to snatch business away from a hotel that had cheaper rates. It is true they are undergoing renovations, which are now almost done, so I am sure some guests had unfortunate incidents during their stays. It is just a fact of life...some people are lucky and some are not. I can honestly say I did not experience one bad incident during my 4 night stay. At a price of $91 a night, one could not ask for better accomidations at such a reasonable price. I did not have a single problem with the friendly staff, I always had a clean room, hot water etc... So the beach isn't right outside the door, is it really too much (if one doesn't want to take the shuttle from the hotel that runs every half hour) of a hassle to drive to the end of the street (about 8 blocks) and pay $5 on weekdays or $7 on weekends to park all day in the city lot?? So a room might not stand up to a military "white glove" inspection of cleanliness, the rooms are affordable, clean and comfortable. The whole point of being at Virginia Beach in the summer is to be AT the beach not in the hotel room. The Doubletree is not some sort of luxury spa/resort where guest are expecting the hotel to pamper them and be the center of their travel. The Doubletree is a more than adaquate hotel at a very affordable price in a very fun location. Get out and enjoy the beach with the money you save on the hotel room, yet one will be able to relax at the end of a busy day in a comfortable hotel.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach

Reviewed June 17, 2006

I booked a two night stay at this hotel on Priceline and then read many of the posted reviews. To be honest, I was expecting to be disappointed, but I'm happy to report otherwise. All of the guest rooms have now been remodled, so you can't get an "old" room anymore. The check in staff and housekeeping could not have been nicer and the room was immaculate. Bear in mind that this is more of a convention/business hotel than a resort - yes, they have a pool, tennis courts, etc., but it's not a beach hotel. And a car is highly recommended. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank MEGATRAVELER
Reviewed June 11, 2006

I just returned from a weekend trip to VA Beach that I reserved through Priceline and I must say that it was one of the worst places I've ever stayed. I arrived at 2:30 PM and found other people checking in at that time. When my reservation was pulled up the front desk employee stated "Oh, you got your room throough Priceline. Those rooms aren't ready you'll have to come back at 4pm." Upon returning at 4, I went to a different employee who also made a comment about my "priceline reservation" and she reluctantly gave me the nonsmoking room that I had called and requested (the first employee told me that it would be impossible for me to have a nonsmoking room but I somehow got one).

The room was nice, newly renovated, but there was dirt on the floor surrounding the bathtub that looked as if it had been there for some time. The hotel claims to be 6 blocks from the beach but its actually a good mile or more. I took the shuttle on the first night (driven by some very young man who pulled out in front of a car and ran over 2 curbs in that short distance)....needless to say, I walked the mile back and drove from that point on.

The hotel swimming pool was closed to hotel guests due to a "private wedding reception". The housekeeper for my floor was overheard complaining about her job and then never showed up to clean my room. I returned to my room at 5pm and found it exactly as I had left it....no clean sheets, no new towels, shampoo....nothing. I assume the housekeeper decided that she didn't need to clean the room of a priceline customer. The whole stay was a nightmare. Take some advice....choose an oceanfront hotel and forget about going to Doubletree. Hilton should be ashamed.

17  Thank LUVNYC02
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 7, 2006

this place needs to be torn down!! Our 1st room smelled so bad it made me sick. We requested another room and the 2nd room had dirty towels in the bathroom and a very large mold stain on the bath room ceiling. Our third room had used condoms on the floor!!! and heavy mold in the bath tub. Very disappointing vacation. It ruined our trip. This hotel has a deep awful smell to the place. It is filthy and disgusting in every way. Called corporate and asked if they could help move us to another Hilton hotel in the area but they were unable to help us either. It was all so upsetting. We stayed at a other Hiltons on this trip but this hotel is just plain gross!!!!!!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 29, 2006

Before making the reservation and arriving at this hotel, I and my better half were mentally prepared for the worst after reviewing the "glowing" reviews here. But the rate I was quoted was cheap. We took the plunge and let's see how it turned out:

Check-in was fast but with no acknowledgement of HHonor status if you happen to be gold or diamond member; we were only given one breakfast coupon when the reservation clearly stated there were two people in the room. You might be better off if you return the coupons and ask for points, but again the front desk folks probably didn't know how to do that. Free chocolate chip cookies were nice but that's about the one of the few things front desk can get right at this place. There were no bell staff but we didn't require any.

We saw the renovation notice in the elevator and it did say that the renovation would be done by March 2006. Though it looked like the only place that was done was the pool. So we arrived at the first room. The comforter had a large and visible ripped hole. The bathroom had lots of water stains on the ceiling and it looked like the hanger closet had their doors ripped out. Lots of common items were missing in the room but we were there just for a good night rest so we'll see if we could actually get that... NOT. The wall was paper thin and the neighbors were so considerate and turned up the TV volume so loud, you can hear it from the end of the other corridor.

We asked to be moved to another room. The front desk told us the only room available was a regular room with no "extra amenities." It'd be a down-grade from the room we paid for. But we thought, "we didn't get any upgrades to start with so what's the point?" We took the room. The front desk told us they would send someone up with the new room keys. 25 minutes later, an engineer came up and gave us the key. Ok, maybe they were short handed. Let's see what happens next.

The second room was quiet and we finally got a good night rest. The next morning we found out about the hot water issue for ourselves. The "hot" water was probably 50 degrees at best. Great, let's get some breakfast and get out of this dump. Upon arriving at the restaurant, staff were chitchatting about the hot water issue before greeting us. I suppose we weren't the only ones having the problem. Anyway, the food at the restaurant was your run-of-the-mill Hampton Inn style breakfast buffet. The quality was definitely comparable to that. I'm not sure if I'd be expecting this at a Doubletree branded hotel.

Overall this was quite a run down hotel in every way (including staff.) We definitely will not stay at this hotel again. Hilon Oceanfront has nicer facilities but the staff is comparable to this Doubletree. Maybe Virginia Beach is where Hilton does most of their staff training. But that is just a suspicion.

• Stayed: May 2006
33  Thank Dominus
Reviewed May 11, 2006

We were greeted by a very friendly front end satff, espically Cara...who gave us a rundown on the 'continuing' renovations here. She and her compatroit were very helpful, and provided assistance whenever we needed it. (Signage says reno to be completed by 3/06...I doubt by 3/07)

Of course, we were apprehensive, since reading the reviews below, but we did have an out... my sisters house on the bay. We didn't need to leave. We were warned that not all 'normal' ammenities would be available. BUT LOOK ABOVE at the room pricing......

If you didn't check TA before you left, (or any of the pricing services) you would have probably paid less than $75.00 a night....as I write this, the ads above (on this page) say from $69.00.

The room we had was a double bed non smoking with requested windows that open....no windows in this hotel have windows that open. The room had brand new carpet, and wall paper. The two beds were brand new firm & supportive like Westin Heavenlys, the bedding was also brand new.....as was the TV, the Desk, the lamps (not the AC).....BUT....

The bathroom wasn't right. It looked like they put in a nice looking Kohler sink....and used the old faucets. The bathtub looked new (with the new curved out shower curtain rods), but only the handles (water gates) were replaced...the faucet was old...and the pull tab to the shower was missing its handle. (You could still pull out the bar to direct water up or down)

Brand new wall paper in the bathroom was missing a strip between the bath/shower and door frame (about a 4 inch strip would do).....and the caulking was not done between the bath tub abd the flloor. The new enlogated toilet was SLANTED toward the bathtub, so the door could be closed.

We are not computer experts, but had no trouble connecting to the FREE service via an AIRPORT MAC powerbook. Cara said the WiFi was free, but only was available on the first & second floors....we were on the third, and it picked up the signal with a full strength meter reading.

Public areas....a mix of new and old..and mis matched or mis sized. We noted a wall with a row of cover plates probably covering old electrical boxes. (These were near the ceiling). The plates did not fit over the holes...very sloppy. The elevators were fast, but one door had part of its wooden panel broken off. I think they need a better general contractor to start checing on the workers work.

Restaurant....has a breakfast buffet for $6.99 to $8.99. Included scrambeled eggs, french toast, pastries, breads, bagles, cream cheese, SOS (over toast-a hint) (which makes me think it is run by an ex military chef or cook), fresh fruit salad, whole fruit, coffee, teas, juice, and a few other things.....rather ordinary, similiar to the free buffet at Hiltons Hampon Inns or MARs Fairfield, but with the hot trays of eggs, pancakes or french toast, hot syrup, browned potatoes.....just OK .

On neg toward saff...the maids were not friendly at all. When we said good morning, they continued talking to each other in French...no eye contact no notice, not even with the second greeting).

The hot water....yes, big problem..took forever to get to room (at times). (Demand system...can come from the 12th floor when needed....to far from the 3rd floor. They have an overide if you call the desk..which I didn't understand

Finally....IMO, the pricing may win out a bit over the crazy method the general contractor is using in re habing this place. It would seem so much easier to at least complete one floor before you move to the next....

The big convention center re build is not near done next to this hotel. The beach is exactly 8/10ths of a mile (actually to the Marriott Fairfield Beachfront Hotel).

The Front Desk staff was great, the room was oversized compaired to the Hampton Inn and Fairfield we stayed at the nights before (at a bit higher pricing), the room was new, clean, the beds & bedding brand new and super comfortable, the bath (well ), free internet access, and the public areas continue in renovation. Room window don't open, a big negative in the sick building syndrome society of today. Hilton needs to take note.

There was no Bell Service while we were there. We would consider staying here again...but hope they get up to speed.

• Stayed: May 2006
21  Thank KenK
Reviewed April 25, 2006

No hot water, renovation smells, poor restaurant food and service is just a start. Am a diamond club member so stay at many hilton facilities, but this is the worst. Had to "bother "a front desk person for information on faxing and printing, definitely gave the impression that I was a bother. I understand renovation needs, but if a property is going to stay open, the bare minium should be provided. Also had to rewire the internet connection. Fortunately I'm a computer person and know how to rig up a hub.

Nickle and diming on everything--no coffee available except at $1.00 for a small cup. Drink machines broken, charge for Internet access. Buyer beware.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business