“New Year's Eve 2014 Party”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach
Ranked #13 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“New Year's Eve 2014 Party”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Happy 2014!!! This was our 3rd year celebrating New Years at the Double Tree. The staff couldn't have been nicer - the banquet manager even found some party hats, necklaces, etc., for my grandchildren which was amazing! The "Double Tree cookies are always sooo delicious, warm and gooey!!!!!

The hotel ball room and entrance way was decorated beautifully. Cocktail hour started at 7:00pm. The cocktail hour food was very good - delicious shrimp and a variety of other items. We enjoyed the cocktail hour food much better than the dinner but that was only our opinion. This year the cocktail hour food was better than previous years. The entree filet was very good but the crab cakes were cold and unappetizing. Getting the food out to the guests is very slow. The tables closest to the kitchen got their food first. They were totally done eating before we even got served (we were on the other side of the room). The band started playing at 9:00pm and we were just beginning to be served. Also noticed that the used glasses weren't removed and water wasn't replenished. I should have asked for more water but I didn't. The unlimited alcohol was just that - great bartenders and super strong drinks! Hot Cakes was the band who played. They do a great job and sound fantastic. The dance floor was packed so my husband and I found a corner with space enough for us to dance but unfortunately it was on the carpet which isn't the best for dancing. Would be nice if the dance floor was a lot bigger but I must say, this was a dancing crowd!!!

The gala also included an overnight stay with late checkout. We noticed new carpet and new bright lights in the hallway as well as our room being renovated. The only negatives in the room were: toilet seat needed to be replaced, poor lighting for applying make-up (lighting wasn't bright enough) and no magnifying mirror. The water pressure is very strong in the sink and in the shower. Beds and pillows were super comfy!

Did not eat breakfast at Max & Emma's.........

All in all had a great time! Please note, this review is just the opinion of my husband and myself.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
John Z, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thank you for your review. I was happy to see how much you enjoyed our New Year's Eve Gala and thank you for the feedback. This is one of our larger events each year and feedback such as yours allows us to ensure improvements are made each year. The band Hot Cakes will be back next year! We hope to see you again next year (and hopefully sooner).

John Zirkle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lehigh Acres, United States
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Excellent staff, very happy and pleasing; room service one hour late; location pictures on website were deceptive regarding location to the water; cookies were a nice touch; lobby was awesome; parking good; fitness room great

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your review. I do apologize for your room service being late. I am sorry that you felt our photos were deceptive. We do state on our site that we are 9 blocks from the ocean, however we do have photos of the surrounding area (including the beach). Thank you for the compliments regarding our staff and building. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Ruther Glen, United States
Reviewed December 31, 2013

The experience at the Double Tree is worth every penny. The warm cookies at check in and check out are awesome. I think every hotel should offer them! The hotel was very nicely decorated. The room was clean and spacious. Then bathroom and water pressure was great.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

So happy to see you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon!

Virginia Beach, United States
Reviewed December 29, 2013

The DoubleTree is a great hotel. the beds are comfortable, there are plenty of mirrors and light, and the staff were very nice. Our bath did appear to have some mildew around the edges it was nothing too gut wrenching. And of course the price was well worth it. With such great service I will definitely be returning.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

John Z, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you for your review. While I was happy to see you found the room and service great, I want to apologize for the mildew around some edges of your tub. I have reviewed your comments with our Housekeeping Team to ensure corrections are implemented. We can't wait to welcome you back again!

Virginia Beach, United States
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Had a great stay while attending a Christmas Party for my company at the Convention Center. Upon arrival my friend and I received gourmet cookies! The receptionist was friendly and the establishment was expansive, cleanly, and well-kept. The bed was very comfy! Only problem was there was no fan in the bathroom, kind of weird for a nice hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

John Z, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are happy to see you enjoyed your stay. Our Engineering team will be checking the fan in the bathroom as they should always be running. We hope to see you again soon!

Virginia
Reviewed December 20, 2013

First, let's start with the not so good - the rooms are definitely not sound-proofed very well. The person in the next room decided the stay up and chat until 3:30 in the morning and I could hear most of what they were saying. The same goes for the people out in the hallway going to the elevators. Now for the good - the young lady who checked me in (I believer her name was Krystal) was the most friendliest and pleasant person I have dealt with when checking in (being a Hilton Gold member, I stay in a lot of hotels throughout the year). The room was awesome (I was upgraded to a double suite) - nicely furnished and clean. I did have the breakfast buffet the next morning and it was adequate. The hotel itself is located within minutes of shopping, restaurants and the oceanfront. Overall, with the exception of the noisy people (which the hotel can't really control), this was an enjoyable stay and I would definitely recommend that you consider this hotel when staying in Virginia Beach.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
John Z, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Thank you for your review. I do apologize for the noise disturbances. I was happy to see that Krystal provided great service and that your room was awesome. It means a lot to hear such praise for an HHonors Gold member as you travel so frequently. Thank you for your loyalty and we can't wait to welcome you back!

Mechanicsburg, United States
Reviewed December 18, 2013

This was our second stay at the hotel but the first with our dogs. We stayed on the dog floor which was clean and quiet. The staff were efficient and friendly. Skip the "concierge" unless you want to get stuck with a time share pitch.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

John Z, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Virginia Beach, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Thank you for your review. I do apologize that the concierge was "pushy". We will be reviewing your comments with the team so we can ensure this does not happen again. I was happy to see you found the room clean and our staff friendly. We hope to see you again soon.